Light too big for my vege's?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flight175

Reaction score
hi! I have a couple plants that are maybe a week old. the problem is that they are getting brown spots on their little leaves that aernt even fully developed. I'm thinking that my light is too strong for them at this young stage (i'm using 100w flo). can anyone confirm if it's the light or possibly something else that's giving them brown spots on their leaves? i'm not using ferts yet.

flight175 said:
hi! I have a couple plants that are maybe a week old. the problem is that they are getting brown spots on their little leaves that aernt even fully developed. I'm thinking that my light is too strong for them at this young stage (i'm using 100w flo). can anyone confirm if it's the light or possibly something else that's giving them brown spots on their leaves? i'm not using ferts yet.
Are you spraying them with water? Did ya by any chance get drops of water on the leaves? How far away do you have your light?

well ever since i saw the brown spots i have been spraying them. my lights are about 7 inches away from the plants.

flight175 said:
well ever since i saw the brown spots i have been spraying them. my lights are about 7 inches away from the plants.
I wouldn't spray them anymore and try moving your light up for a few days and see what happens. I would see what a few of the other members say. ;)

okay thanks for the information TGB. i've grown plants through the veg stage and never seen anything like this before. i'm gonna see if that helps.

What type of soil are you using? have you added perlite to the soil?

I've had problems with soil compaction using straight commercial potting soil. The symptoms appeared like you say, brown spots on lower leaves.

Also, what is your watering schedule?

I wouldn't spray them anymore

Why not? I hope its not because of the whole water spots cause burns myth. If that were the case, every leaf of every tree on the planet would have burn holes in them after a spring shower.

Hey Bro, from what I understand it is not good to ever spray your plants or even let a liquid touch the leaves or the stem> could burn them, your light should not be to strong but I would raise it for a day or two then once healthy I would lower it even further(don't want lanky plants), giving no ferts thats good(personnally i wouldnt fert until 1 week before flower) could be some kinda bugs eating on them, but i would bet it was getting them wet and the drops of water acting as a magnifine glass> pic would help theres diff. kinds of brown spots :) What kinda soil ?is it new? G.L. maaaaaaaan !!

DA MILKMAN

ut i would bet it was getting them wet and the drops of water acting as a magnifine glass>

Please, please, go out in nature and find 1 plant to support this.

I guess its a good thing rain or dew never settles on a leaf in nature huh?

My first post Lol I'll tell ya what I'll find that when you find a plant in nature that has 100 watt flouro on it Lol Some people!
DA MILK MAN

Milk Man said:
My first post Lol I'll tell ya what I'll find that when you find a plant in nature that has 100 watt flouro on it Lol Some people!
DA MILK MAN

Seriously? you mean the sun isnt as strong as a 100w flouro? yup, some people indeed.

I'm not gonna argue w/ you dood, I share my thoughts I farm year after year and yes on a hot day you can burn your leaves,how often do farmers water their crop in the middle of a hotttt day? But whatever, the sun is tottally diff. from a 100 watt flouro. sitting 7 inches away but I will not argue my point juss give my thoughts to the postee!

DA MILKMAN:)

yeah, you're right. Good thing that some how it doesnt apply to me considering I mist my plants with espom salts and fulvic acid once a week, mid lights on cycle 1-2" from a cool tube with a 250 hps in it.

but we're only comparing a 100w fluorescent.

Im done with it, think what you want, believe what you want. allow one of the wonderful mods here to make you feel better and by all means,
Have a nice day

no worries guys. i'm just gonna quit spraying for a bit, move my plants further from the light and see what happens. I wish i could post pics but my puppy chewed the **** out of my digital camera's usb connection cord(*************). I'm gonna go to walmart today and see if i can replace it.

im not so sure its the lights.....im thinking your ph is acidic..prob at a 5.5......when acidic it will work its way up from bottom leaves....brown spots, then leaf dies and it moves up to the next ones, get a ph pen, it will save you lots of grief....or move to Geonosis, where acidicy is not a problem.....also if light was too big and too close it would eat your leaves up instantly, and would prob not leave brown spots, it would attack outer edges of leaves first...

I get mad ph problems when growing in dirt... can't help it.. no matter what I do... I flush 3x the water used for a flush and the ph might change half a point.. then it always stops.

kade, do u think that might have been my problem? i was keeping my hydro ph @ 6.0? what is a hydro ph supposed to be for veg and flowering?

what if i used vermiculite with potting soil? or sand?

pufindo said:
kade, do u think that might have been my problem? i was keeping my hydro ph @ 6.0? what is a hydro ph supposed to be for veg and flowering?

Oh hell no. Hydro ph should be from 5.8-6.2 so 6 is a safe bet... makes up for how far a ph meter is off.

Soil is slightly higher... around 6.5 however I cannot get my soil ph for one of my mothers above 5.1, no matter if i put in 10ph water or whatever.

KADE said:
Oh hell no. Hydro ph should be from 5.8-6.2 so 6 is a safe bet... makes up for how far a ph meter is off.

Soil is slightly higher... around 6.5 however I cannot get my soil ph for one of my mothers above 5.1, no matter if i put in 10ph water or whatever.

Kade, have you tried adding Lime to the soil? Small amounts over the course of 10 days until you reach your goal.

Yeah I know.. dolomite lime rite? This mother is like.... i dunno.. 3.5 feet tall or so... so she is well rooted... adding lime through the soil is kinda impossible rite now.... unless u mean sprinkle on top or something.

Let me add - I HATE soil growing. I know some stuff... i just dont know how to apply it. But if someone wants to tell me exactly how to try something. I'm game.

Latest posts

Back