Lighting controller problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenfriend

ganja farmer
Reaction score
Hi all, I am running a MLC-8 lighting controller (8 240V outlets). I have run a 40 amp line from my subpanel. the controller has a 120V trigger cable which is connected to a standard timer which turns the controller and lights on/off.

when the timer turns on the relays in the controller turn on, but the ballasts and lights dont because it trips the breaker. I have gotten the lights to work by unplugging the ballasts then plugging them back into the controller when the relays are already on

I just had new 40 amp double pole breakers installed so I dont think theres a problem with the breaker, but i could be wrong. Is this a problem with the controller? the breaker? i cant keep manually turning the lights on/off every 12 hrs:confused:

Thanks!

greenfriend said:
Hi all, I am running a MLC-8 lighting controller (8 240V outlets). I have run a 40 amp line from my subpanel. the controller has a 120V trigger cable which is connected to a standard timer which turns the controller and lights on/off.

when the timer turns on the relays in the controller turn on, but the ballasts and lights dont because it trips the breaker. I have gotten the lights to work by unplugging the ballasts then plugging them back into the controller when the relays are already on

I just had new 40 amp double pole breakers installed so I dont think theres a problem with the breaker, but i could be wrong. Is this a problem with the controller? the breaker? i cant keep manually turning the lights on/off every 12 hrs:confused:

Thanks!

Reads to me that depending on how many ballasts you have the in rush current is exceeding your breaker rating, most breakers trip instantanous.
My advice is put an Amp Clamp on one of the 240V legs to see if the current is higher then 40 amps when the timer fires.

Ohms Law, the lower the voltage the higher the current (amps)

If only 3 phase was available in residential areas!

I know it said 8 outlets, but are you using all of them? If so, that's a lot of amps needed to light all of them at once. I agree with the amp clamp idea.

it should be able to start 8 lamps easily, that what its made for.

mendo local said:
it should be able to start 8 lamps easily, that what its made for.

The C.A.P. MLC-8 and MLC-8a master lighting controllers allow you to control up to EIGHT 1000 watt HID lights from one 40 amp, 240 volt power source from one time-clock or controller. Run 40 amp, 240 volt power into the MLC-8 or MLC-8a, and all of the outlets are controlled by one 120 volt "trigger cable". The trigger cable can be plugged into a standard 24 hour timer or lighting controller.

Did a Google search and found the specs above, #8 wire should suffice, if as advertised your fault may be in connections or power source.....Here in Tn 3 phase 480vac is fed Delta (black, red, blue) or WYE (brown, orange, yellow) one leg to ground Delta is 240vac, WYE to ground is 277vac.

Get an UGLY book, it's your Chiltons for electricity!:p

Latest posts

Back