Lighting/Electrical Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hetfield_08

Reaction score
Does anyone know how many 13 watt cfl lights i could run safely on one cord thats probably a 14 or 16 gauge. It's the same size that you would find on a desk lamp or something similar. Thanks in advance:peace:

hetfield_08 said:
Does anyone know how many 13 watt cfl lights i could run safely on one cord thats probably a 14 or 16 gauge. It's the same size that you would find on a desk lamp or something similar. Thanks in advance:peace:

14 gauge is good for 15 amps, 16 gauge 10 amps.
Watts = VxI , so a 14 gauge wire could run 100 13 watt lights and maintain a safety factor.

Wow lol i wasn't expecting it to hold that much juice. Thanks for the help Growdude:smoke1:

Check the covering for the extension cord. It should be labeled (possible by imprinting rather than printing which makes it hard to read) and confirm the size of wire/rating of the cord. It should say some thing like "16/2 60 degrees C" which means the cord has 2 each 16 gauge conductors and is rated to operate at 60 degrees Centigrade. Often the degree symbol will be left out and the temperature is just listed as 60 C. Usually you will also see a notation like WAG between the wire size and count and the temperature rating.

Usually, an extension cord will sqrt at either 18 or 16 gauge but some times they are 20 gauge or lighter.

Most extension cords are designed for at least 10 amps but some are smaller.

However, the longer the cord the lower the rating so keep it as short as practical and if possible use 1 long cord rather than 2 or more short ones plugged in end to end.

Good luck.

Don Jones

Latest posts

Back