Long vertical growing containers?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MeNtAlPaTiEnT

Reaction score
Was just thinking about ways to maximize the amount of plants in a box, and I remembered reading that marijuana likes to grow long, deep roots.

If I were to use tall growing containers but less wider containers, I believe I could fit more plants at once. But the question is how would the plants respond to a growing environment for their roots like this? Any root gurus out there? Anyone ever even hear of something like this? Thanks for any help, advice, and thoughts!

MeNtAlPaTiEnT said:
Was just thinking about ways to maximize the amount of plants in a box, and I remembered reading that marijuana likes to grow long, deep roots.

I don't think this is necessarily true. Can you remember where you read it?

Also, remember that more plants does not mean necessarily mean a greater yield.

I can't seem to recall where, might have been from a growing guide somewhere...

Was just really curious to a set-up like this, I could have much more single top colas side by side by using thinner containers but taller. I shall be delving more into this possible technique later...

Thanks for helping hemp goddess!

I have some deep pots that trees are started in. You can put 4 deep pots in a 5 gallon container. I am going to use them in veg to fit more plants in my small veg area. Then transplant them into 5 gallon containers for flower. I will see if the deep pots are better than a standard 1 gallon pot. I have some plants rooting right now that are almost ready for pots.

When I was younger I used to live by the Santa Ana River. We planted some schwag seeds all in the river bottom. Most of them grew in sand with a constant hydroponic (soil-less) nutrient flow system in nearly pure medium-coarse sand. These plants grew well over 10 feet tall. When they began to bud we tried to pull them (real early- I was 15) out by the roots. We could not for the life of us pull them out. The water level in the river dropped 12 inches in the 4 months they were planted. We dug the planting holes to water level when we planted them in April. By August they HAD to have stretched an extra foot to reach the water table (not taking into account capillary action).

I think it will work fine. Try this:

Cut Rockwool strips and put them from bottom of pot to top of soil then fill medium around strips.

The plants by the river had to develop long roots as the water table dropped. All plants that are not irrigated will do this, searching for water It is an entirely different ballgame when you are growing inside. If your goal is to get more plants into a given space, it will probably be just fine. Roots need a given volume of medium--I do not think that the shape of the container (within reason, of course) will make much difference. However, you may find that you have a harder time watering--making sure that the lower roots have enough water and that the top is not too wet.

MeNtAlPaTiEnT said:

If I were to use tall growing containers but less wider containers, I believe I could fit more plants at once. But the question is how would the plants respond to a growing environment for their roots like this? Any root gurus out there? Anyone ever even hear of something like this? Thanks for any help, advice, and thoughts!

The more cubic inches of medium you have for the roots the better, to prevent root bound. The real problem is canopy space. Plants tight together don't get enough light and air for the whole plant. Now if you are growing a SOG, Sea of Green, meaning you flip to 12/12 after a week or less of veg your vertical theory would work well.

Roots will search out their growing space. Some grow on rockwool slabs so the roots have to grow horizontally, they don't care as long as there is space for them to grow - down-sideways, whatever.

SOG - Just grow single colas, maybe 4 plants in a square foot area *times how many sq feet/plants your light will reach. A great way to grow, usually to maximize smaller areas. Example: 4 sq ft 16 plants, 12/12 from the git go, and you have 16 single colas. It's best if they are clones to grow this way, you could lose half your yield or more to mails and it's not quite as effective. Hope this helps. :p

MeNtAlPaTiEnT said:

PS.
Many who grow SOG never go back, less trim work, faster turn around for next crop etc. And great yields in a small space with less lightning costs (always 12/12), nutes, etc. :p

BBFan said:
Couldn't he also lollipop them for the same results- letting them veg a little longer?

The advantage of going straight into 12/12 is you get just a main cola and usually very little side branching, mostly fan/storage leaves. Also by not lollipoping you don't cause any stress to slow it down. The idea is to erase the veg period, cause no stress and grow one big cola.

Why would you veg longer just to lolli and remove side growth you don't need to get one cola when you can skip all that and just grow one cola??? That's the beauty of it, there are quite a few here that grow this way :p with great results. Just keep a mom or two, three... whatever and clone and grow. You can get a perpetual harvest going this way.

Latest posts

Back