low yield?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

depetreono

Reaction score
I just finished my grow and got half of what I expected and can't figure out what happened. I came out with about 9oz off of 6 plants. I veg for about a month or until 15-18" tall then flower. Took about 60 days to flower. This was done under a 600w light. I used general organic lineup of nutes. I believe the strain to be Shiva I got seeds from a dispensary so I'm not 100%. I have a grow journal of the grow. I was expecting 3-5 oz per plant off this. What did I do wrong??

3-5 ounces a plant with only one month of veg is quite the lofty expectations IMO....strain and training techniques can hve a lot of impact on yield. I am usually happy with 3 ounces a plant with 4-6 weeks of veg in one gallon smart pots but a strain like Pre 98 bubba tends to yield significantly less then say Larry OG. Jmo

0.42 grams/watt isn't all that bad. I agree with HL that strain and training might be the catalyst. I've been getting 2-3 oz per plant with very little veg action using 2 400W HPS to flower for 8 to 9 weeks. (I keep the clones under two 17W flouro tubes that pretty much just keep them alive until needed, extremely slow growth.) and of course I be topping and fimming and pinching along the way.
recently I added a veg area (DWC btw) consisting of two 23W cfl's that has greatly increased root volume prior to them going to 12/12. 4 to 5 weeks and I'll see what difference one to two weeks of veg makes compared to the ol 2-3 oz. I hypothesize 5 - 6 oz.. :watchplant:
maybe I'll get a GJ going again... 'tis been a while...

Ok, Now that I looked over your GJ; I would say your low yield is due to:
A) The bug problem you had.
B) Stretch; had you topped them a few days before flower, you would have had more plant matter in the "Goldilocks zone".
C) Maybe heat? what were your temps? that reflectix is a good insulator as well as reflector.
jm2c. Good luck on your next grow.

Well I'm switching strain to SOUR OG. See if strain makes a difference.

Temps ran from 70-81. Depending on heat of the day also how close to the hood. I had 3 digital rh/temp monitors at different levels. And humidity ran from. 32%-55%

From everything I looked into said 3-5 oz per plant was average for this setup. 1.5 per plant just seems like a very small amount.

What's the minimum you experienced growers out there would be satisfied with 2 months of veg time?

I only veg for 2-3 weeks after the clones root. Veg under 1000w MH, flower 15 plants under 2,000 watts HPS. 4 oz per plant average. (when things actually grow without issues lol)

Its not the size the yield yual be gettin be hows yual use it! LOL

Yual make me happy time gain with some these here threads and there titles.

BWD

I'll try another strain. If that doesn't solve it then I need to revamp my setup some.

You say they took about 60 days to flower do you mean you noticed them budding at that stage or you chopped them at the 60 days stage.
Either way the fungus knats ate your roots and that was the beginning of your problem and if you chopped at day 60 that was the main problem after looking at you diary at day 60 they had a good month or 6 weeks to go.
Take no notice of 3-5oz per plant i still dont achieve that goal average 2-4 per plant and i have everything dialed in pretty much spot on.
T4

I harvest based off when the trichomes tell me they are ready to harvest which was right about 60 days into flowering. The gnat problem could have been what dropped the yield but it was such a small infestation which I did eliminate I baby see that being the only cause for a mere 1.5oz per plant. ill find out with this next grow. New strain no gnats. See how it goes I guess

depetreono said:
I just finished my grow and got half of what I expected and can't figure out what happened. I came out with about 9oz off of 6 plants. I veg for about a month or until 15-18" tall then flower. Took about 60 days to flower. This was done under a 600w light. I used general organic lineup of nutes. I believe the strain to be Shiva I got seeds from a dispensary so I'm not 100%. I have a grow journal of the grow. I was expecting 3-5 oz per plant off this. What did I do wrong??

I don't think you necessarily did anything wrong, I think your expectations were a bit high. Like ishnish said, you got .42 grams per watt--not bad at all. Three ozs per plant would have put you at .84 grams per watt--a really good yield from a well dialed in grow space. I am not sure that 5 oz per plant is even possible with your set-up--6 plants, a month veg, and a 600W light. A 5 oz plant really is quite a large plant.

However, you may have harvested early. All the info I could find on Shiva listed a 9 week flowering period. Breeder's estimates are usually shy by about a week or 10 days on the flowering estimates. If you took them at 60 days, you may have harvested too early, especially since you only vegged for 1 month. If they are not sexually mature when they are put into flowering, you need to count the flowering time from when they show sex, not when you put them into 12/12.

The Hemp Goddess said:
I don't think you necessarily did anything wrong, I think your expectations were a bit high. Like ishnish said, you got .42 grams per watt--not bad at all. Three ozs per plant would have put you at .84 grams per watt--a really good yield from a well dialed in grow space. I am not sure that 5 oz per plant is even possible with your set-up--6 plants, a month veg, and a 600W light. A 5 oz plant really is quite a large plant.

I THINK MULTI MAY DISAGREE WITH YA ON THAT SCORE THG AS HE DOES SMALL PLANTS AND HITS 4.5OZ EVERY TIME:p:D

However, you may have harvested early. All the info I could find on Shiva listed a 9 week flowering period. Breeder's estimates are usually shy by about a week or 10 days on the flowering estimates. If you took them at 60 days, you may have harvested too early, especially since you only vegged for 1 month. If they are not sexually mature when they are put into flowering, you need to count the flowering time from when they show sex, not when you put them into 12/12.

I agree with ya totally on the last part.
T4

There were cloned from a mature female. Grew to 15-18 inches tall wich took a month to reach. Then flipped 12/12

And what I looked up says Shiva is ready to harvest at 55-65 days into flower I didn't pay attention to total grow time since mine were cloned and hence sexually mature already. And my trichs said harvest at day 60 rite in the middle.

Forgive me if I'm hijacking the thread, but this topic sort of ties into a question I have:

If you need to put a plant into 12/12 to determine the sex, can you, after you've determined the plant's sex, remove the plant from bloom and place it back into vegging if you wanted to use it for clones? Thanks.

BoneMan1000 said:
Forgive me if I'm hijacking the thread, but this topic sort of ties into a question I have:

If you need to put a plant into 12/12 to determine the sex, can you, after you've determined the plant's sex, remove the plant from bloom and place it back into vegging if you wanted to use it for clones? Thanks.
Yes, you can do this. It's talked about frequently on these forums. Some users trim the buds off, then stick the stalk/surviving branches/fan leaves back into 18/6 or 24/0 to grow more chutes for clones. You use the same concept when forcing your girls to show sex. (Been reading up and asking a lot of questions on sexing lately, so I've picked this info up too.) Just stick them into 12/12, when they show sex, weed out the males, and then put them back into 18/6 or 24/0.

If your last pic in your grow link is when you harvested them at day 60 just by looking at the plants they were nowhere near ready for the chop and i seriously doubt they trics showed they were ready.
The fact the plant is still throwing out fresh white pistils proves they is not ready so had you left them for another 2-3 weeks you would have achieved a better harvest.
T4

Latest posts

Back