Lower Leaf Deficiency Identification Help..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spaceface

Space Cadet
Reaction score
So this is my lady in question...It is Mad Shack or Mad Scientist. I can't remember which. Anyways, Its been veggin for about a month now. She has been fimmed once and is in a 7 gallon smart pot with Pro-Mix Ultimate Organic Mix. Since I have transplanted into this smart pot I have only watered once with a half a gallon of water. Attached below is a couple of pics with the problem. The lower leaves are spotted but still green. However, when I touch the leaves they are brittle and dry, and, crumble somewhat, not all leaves have this though. This is prevalent on the lower fan leaves. I noticed this condition on one leaf and it has been slowly creeping and getting worse. Is there any idea as to what this is I'm dealing with? Is it just perhaps an underwatering problem? I thank you for reading and your help is always greatly appreciated.

DSCF0484.JPG

DSCF0485.JPG

DSCF0486.JPG

What does the rest of the plant look like? I never pay any mind to the lower leaves once they have been vegging for a bit. They get old and beat up looking as time goes on. I judge my plants health on what new growth looks like and the overall appearance of the plant. Hell I usually remove the bottom 1/4 of the plant a week before the flip anyway. It helps with airflow and IMO it focuses the plants energy into the branches that will produce the bigger fuller buds instead of wasting energy on lower popcorn bud. JMO

Good Sunday morning to you Hamster. The rest of the plant is lovely looking. Nothing wrong with her besides the stated. She is lush green and vibrant. So in essence it's nothing I should concern myself with. That's great.

remove them if they bother you, it could just be the result having nutes poured on them during waterings.

spaceface said:
So in essence it's nothing I should concern myself with. That's great.

You got it...like tman said, it could be just from having nutrients pored on them from being so close to the soil. I am more inclined to think they have just out lived their usefulness. When I don't remove the lower 1/4 of my plants I find that by harvest time those lower leaves look like bad copies of good leaves. They get large and comical looking. Nothing to be concerned over imo.

I would have to agree that these being the bottom leaves are beginning to die off as part of the natural course of their life. Don't pull them off tho, let them fall off because when they start dieing off like that, the plant is removing the chemicals from the leaf that it can use somewhere else. By letting it do that, you save the plant from having to pull that much material from the soil. :)

There is an outside chance that this problem is not natural die off. If the problem continues to climb the plant's leaves toward the middle of the plant then you could have a nutrient lockout caused by PH imballance. The way you can tell is, if the problem continues to progress up the plant, and if the leaves look like they have multiple deficiencies happening at once. If that starts then you will need to check your PH. In the mean time, make sure you are giving the plant water/nutes that have the proper PH. With MJ its not good enough to give them water from the tap unless you know what the PH and TDS is first. For example; my tap water is well water and is very high in mineral content and is very acidic, while my friend has well water that is at 6.7 and fairly low TDS.

Latest posts

Back