male female?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilpurps

Reaction score
how long will it be until i will be able to tell which ones are male and female plants there bout 3 weeks old now

they are to young to tell . it al depends on how long u keep them in veg state. two u really cant tell intill they start to flower. there is a post in the in door grow called the beginners guide tells u all about what u want to know even has pics of male and females:48: :smoke1: :bolt: :ciao: :fly:

lilpurps said:
how long will it be until i will be able to tell which ones are male and female plants there bout 3 weeks old now
It all depends lilpurps. You can leave them in veg until they show pre flowers which usually takes about 6 to 8 weeks sometimes sooner sometimes longer. Or you can take a cutting from your plant place it in a cup of water and under 12/12 lighting and it will show it's sex in about a week or so. ;)

THE BROTHER'S GRUNT said:
It all depends lilpurps. You can leave them in veg until they show pre flowers which usually takes about 6 to 8 weeks sometimes sooner sometimes longer. Or you can take a cutting from your plant place it in a cup of water and under 12/12 lighting and it will show it's sex in about a week or so. ;)

Does taking a cutting and placing in a cup of water involve hormones?? and at what stage can you do this, 3 or 4 weeks after sprouting? or is a certain height reccomended? such as say 4 - 5 inches?

can u seriously sex clones without root hormones??

every grow guide i have read has always said: use root hormones for cuttings.

so just sit it in a cup and a week later it will show signs of what sex the host plant is?

can u seriously sex clones without root hormones??

every grow guide i have read has always said: use root hormones for cuttings.

so just sit it in a cup and a week later it will show signs of what sex the host plant is?
..yup, maytake up to 2 weeks to show. ....even "rooting" cuttings doesn't usually "require" hormones, in a relativly good environment.

sweet, so i can sex my plants without actually cloning them and growing them in rockwool for a bit... this is an interesting concept that i may have to implement as i have absolutely no desire to maintain more than one grow space (veg and flower rooms).

nice tip, cheers Hick & TBG

hey cool, sounds great huh doc green.. only thing is we would need another light, unless,

anyone know if its possible to flower cuttings under something other than a grow lamp, we have one HPS lamp and are obviously using that for our veg's, so could we theoretically leave the cuttings somewhere other than our grow space using a cheaper light?

an alternative i guess would be to build a smaller single purpose flowering box we could use in conjuntion with the veg set up... only problem with that is if the cutting did turn out to be male i wouldnt want to risk it being in the same zone as the veg's...

I thought that you can tell right away cuz females have 7 leaves and males have 5!? not true?

night501 said:
Myth Alert!!!
:rofl:...yup, my "**" detector went off, too. The number of fingers on a leaf hasn't anything to do with the sex ULTRA. I've had fem's with as many as 13 fingers and as few as 3.
riz....a simple flourescent..tube or cfl will suffice.

I read somewhere that some people cover up a branch on a veg plant for 12/12 light on that particular branch, u need it so one end is open for air to come in.

Lol, only one person has ever said there was a certain amount of leaves for each sex. and this was a long time ago when i was at school. But when researched, there actually not much difference between male and female until you flower them and that is the bottom line.

so if we had the one grow room we could cover up a semi clone dipped in pure water to mimic 12/12 while the other veg plants get all the light they need. after about a week or so you can take a real close look for the pistilles (female) or the suit of clubs *from a deck of cards* that indicate the male characteristics. this is what i read up in the grow guide that the admins here always point out.

But if you were to flower one branch that was still growing on the mother plant and you sex it that way, should you cut off the premature flowering branch or leave it on to force it back to it veggie state?

sorry for the long post guys

i been reading up on here and forcing plants back to veg state seems pretty un-do-able... but im not sure.. i wouldnt wanna risk it being in the same area as 3 unditermined plants.. 2 of them might still turn out to be females and we dont want that to change! lol

the_riz said:
i been reading up on here and forcing plants back to veg state seems pretty un-do-able... but im not sure.. i wouldnt wanna risk it being in the same area as 3 unditermined plants.. 2 of them might still turn out to be females and we dont want that to change! lol

Nah, it is easy to do... it just slows the vegging part... take a cutting... stick it in a glass full of water... and put the lights on 12/12.. it'll show in 1-2 weeks or so.

I have heard of bagging a branch.It will only work if you visit your garden 2x a day.More than some may prefer. I would wait for pre flowers to show then clone off the females ,hash oil the males,two weeks veg flower the clones.
This is my first post here btw.Goodmorning everyone!!

morning stan!

Yeah man, I cant understand people that dont wanna visit there garden 2 times a day, i check ours on a normal day first thing in the morning, before i go out / do something thats gonna take a while, around mid day, mid afternoon, then i like to leave em until the light goes off just to see how much theyve boosted in the last 4 hours lol..

can you smoke the bud that the clone grows? i mean, will it actually develope bud? or will it just develope white hairs or pollon sacks..

PuffTheMagicDragon said:
dude my plants are like tv to me
totally, almost every time before i go in the room i say i'm going in for 20 min to water and I end up coming out 2 hours later.

trichnut said:
totally, almost every time before i go in the room i say i'm going in for 20 min to water and I end up coming out 2 hours later.

m the same way!!!!! i go to smoke a cigarette and end up in the garage for 30 mins, after that i cant seee **** since i just spent 30 mins looking at 9,000 Lumens....:eek:

HAHAHAAHHA that how it is my my room ill b trying 2 fix my jerry rigged grow closet b4 the timer for 12 12 goes off then it will go off so ill shut the door and it will b dark in my room ill b trippin over weights and everything but something soft

Latest posts

Back