Marijuana and effects on broken leg?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motoxchamp

Reaction score
Hey whats up. I posted this in the medical marujuana forum but then I noticed that a post is made only every other day on average and the coffee table section has a lot more action. My question is about smoking or vaporizing and the effects it will have on the recovy time of a broken leg. I race both quads and motorcycles at the production A level and plan on going pro in 2009 if I have a successful 2008 season. I broke my femur and when it broke it tore my quad. The injury was a result of a motorcycle race crash in January of 07 and I am still not well. I had another bone graph surgery and had a new larger rod put in my leg last weekend. I use to never smoked weed b4 the injury but the pain was severe and as a result I would go 2-3 days at a time without sleeping. I became addicted to the pain meds and when my doctor no longer presrscribed me any more pain meds my pain drastically intensified because of the addiction. My friend recommended using weed and it did wonders for me. The second surgery was pretty extensive though I am in no where near the same amount of pain as when I originally broke it. My doctor told me I can't smoke because it will cause my leg to heal slower. He says I can eat the weed but not smoke it and he recommends not using a vaporizer but he is not certain if the steam from the vaporizer will have similar negative affects like the smoke. I am currently taking pain meds to help with the pain but I really don't like taking them. I am also having trouble sleeping because I take very little pain meds to avoid an addiction relapse and I have always slept on my left side which coincidently is the same leg I had the surgery on. Because I can not sleep in a comfortable position and I am in pain I am once again not sleeping well and have 2x in the past week gone 36 hours without sleeping. I have gotten high 2x since the surgery by eating cannabutter (potent butter made with marijuana) on bread but I don't like eating weed and would much rather vaporize or smoke marijuana but not if it will have any negative effects on my healing process. Will using a vaporizer have any negative effects? Is it true that the smoke from marijuana will have negatively effect my healing? Is there any other herbs to help with the pain or speed up my recovery that have no health side effects? Is there another more technical forum that you would recommend or a doctor I could talk to to extensively discuss the use of marijuana or other herbs for healing and pain management? I try to keep stuff made in a lab out of my system. Thanks in advance.

i have never heard that ,,,,but if a doctor told you it was so i would believe him ,,,,take a break for a few mouths ,,,,goodluck friend ,,,,p,l,rasta

Yea, I would listen to the doctor too. Maybe bug him a little, and ask if he could do some extra-curricular research for your case. Or at the very least, have him show you where he got the 'smoking will slow down the healing process'?

I wouldn't know where to look to find the scientific facts I think you're looking for. Best of luck to you :)

Bubby said:
Yea, I would listen to the doctor too. Maybe bug him a little, and ask if he could do some extra-curricular research for your case. :)

I have bugged him and the last time I spoke with him he offered to take me a rehab facility. So I feel that I can't ask him any more cuz he'll thing that I am just feening to get high (which I am but not the way an addict does). Anyone know where I can get some answers?

motoxchamp said:
Is there ... a doctor I could talk to to extensively discuss the use of marijuana or other herbs for healing and pain management? I try to keep stuff made in a lab out of my system. Thanks in advance.

Hey motoxchamp,
sorry to hear about your accident and pain.

There is an associate professor at SUNY, Albany. His name is Mitch Earlywine Ph.D., he is the author of Understanding Marijuana and the Editor of Pot Politics. I am sure he can help you out... or at the very least refer you to someone who might know the answer of your question.

Hope you recover soon... keep us updated with the answer you receive and how it applies when putting to practice :) .

- cuzigothigh

Latest posts

Back