Medibles and pets

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

POTpoor

Reaction score
I saw a article that talked about pets dieing from eating MJ Treats,, I got these Freebies the other day and they even looked like Dog Bisquets!!

8. Marijuana edibles. Legal for either recreational or medical use in several states, marijuana is often sold in more potent forms, including edibles that taste much like some foods we would typically eat.
Tina Wismer, of the Animal Poison Control Center told NBC News that animals don’t react to the tetrahydrocannabinol in cannabis the same way humans do. “Without treatment, they can go into comas and die,” she says, noting that edibles may be even more lethal if they also contain chocolate or raisins.
A 2012 study published in the Journal of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care found that marijuana ingestion of baked goods that contain medical-grade THC butter can kill a dog. The researchers looked into 125 cases of dogs ingesting marijuana between 2005 and 2010 and found that it resulted in two deaths. Both dogs asphyxiated on their own vomit.
Since marijuana was legalized in Colorado, veterinarians in the state say they’ve seen some dogs die from ingestion. Ashley Harmon, a veterinarian at Fort Collins Veterinary Emergency and Rehabilitation, told a local newspaper that one dog died after eating a pound of pot brownies while another ate a pound of pot butter.
Pet owners who use marijuana edibles in their homes must exercise caution and keep these items securely packaged and out of reach of dogs and cats.

View attachment P1030442.JPG

I'd probably die too eating a pound of butter!! Who wouldn't,,

My vet said that the studies haven't been done of course but that he doesn't think dogs have the receptors that humans do.
Thanks for posting, important info.

My Vet suggest doggie treats from the dispensary. And I have seen great results

I have a buddy who gave his dying dog tincture. The dog had cancer and was becoming less and less active. When he started the dog on the tincture, he became active and puppy like for his last year of life. I really believe he made the dogs quality of life much better for that last year.

I also let my pups lick the spatula after I make edibles and they seem to love it. They start acting like 1yr olds again lol.

I had a small dog many years back that loved pot and you had to keep your baggie and any joints you had rolled put up or he would get into them. I had a dog named Harry that I gave cannabis cookies for his debilitating arthritis near the end....and it did help without any bad side effects.

Why in the world would a vet make the assumption that the cannabis killed the dog that ate the brownies when we KNOW that chocolate is toxic to dogs. Jeez, it is much more likely that the chocolate killed the dog. And like AM, I am thinking that a pound of butter, even sans cannabis, may be enough to kill me--dogs don't tolerate huge amounts of fats like that either. When I was a kid we had a dog that would get up on the table and eat the cube of butter if it was not put away. He was a big dog, but even a 1/4 pound would make him very sick.

While dogs may or may not metabolize cannabinoids the same as humans, I do not believe that it is killing them. They are just like the naysayer doctors who refuse to believe that something like cannabis can be good for you.

Latest posts

Back