Medical marijuana dispensaries banned in Los Gatos

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FruityBud

Reaction score
The Los Gatos Town Council voted unanimously Monday night to ban medical marijuana dispensaries in town. Council members adopted an ordinance, which takes affect Sept. 1, after a public hearing that no one spoke at. Council members did not discuss the issue either, since the new ordinance replaces an Oct. 2009 urgency ordinance that banned MMDs until the issue could be studied further.

Among other things, the town cited six recent armed robberies that occurred at medical marijuana dispensaries in San Jose as justification for the ban. A staff report said, "Current and prior investigations revealed that many MMDs are, in fact, opportunistic criminal enterprises that are engaged in illicit sales for profit."

The council also endorsed a Santa Clara County Cities Association resolution that calls for the federal government to regulate medical marijuana distribution through licensed pharmacies.

Los Gatos joins Campbell, Cupertino, Gilroy, Los Altos, Milpitas, Mountain View, Palo Alto and Sunnyvale in banning MMDs.

San Jose has recently limited the number of MMDs to 10, after a proliferation of them opened in the city.

hxxp://tinyurl.com/3nhcrlu

"Current and prior investigations revealed that many MMDs are, in fact, opportunistic criminal enterprises that are engaged in illicit sales for profit."

Doesn't have to be true, just have the perception....and it's obviously out there! Sad....remember that we're all following Cali.

It's as simple as a City not wanting any dispensaries...they ban them citing criminal enterprises. All States will go thru this. Liberal cities will have them, conservitive cities will not. Simple as that. They are all legal under state law.
If they were REALLY Criminal Enterprises, how come no one got arrested?

It's all about perception, Hal, the truth doesn't matter. However, I am willing to bet there's at least a bit of truth in their complaints, or they'd not be complaining....tax money coming in and all. I mean, surely there's illicitly ran dispensaries as well as the good! And yes, all states are watching Cali.

Area my friend...area. It has nothing to do with tax monies, as conservitive cities see them as nothing more then drug dealing operations...period.
I would take your bet.
Perception is an evil thing. The folks in Los Gatos perception of MMJ is that it is stil a drug. Your perception of Cali is that if a city shuts down a dispensary, they must have been an illegal operation.
Reality is that if a particular city does not want a dispensary to operate in thier town, the ban them. You cannot fight it in court because the City Council has the power to not allow ANY business they want to operate.
In my town of 250,000 folks, the City Council also banned Dispensaries. My city council also banned Hooters restaurant from opening also.The reason is simple, no hidden agenda or folks operating illegally, they are just plain conservitive, as is most all of the Central Valley of California. We ain't all hippies man. We have no Strip Clubs here either. It has nothing to do with the legality of MMJ, it has to do with who runs the City Council. Not perception...but truth.

Not my perception, my perception is that these cities have likely seen some kind of illegal activity in their or neighboring cities. And that perception is very likely true, hence my "bet". Tell me, do you honestly know that all dispensaries in Cali were and are following the law to the "T"??

And Hal, I'm sure even you'd say you'd lose that bet....

NorCalHal said:
it has to do with who runs the City Council. Not perception...but truth.

Aren't these people who are voted into office?

I see it as the same as dry counties and wet counties. And alcohol is legal federally. People still have the perception that there is illegal actives occurring where alcohol is consumed also ;)

Having fights in front of a liquor store (or dispensary lol) gives the perception of illicit activity in that business. People targeting them for robberies doesn't help. Since most of these dispensaries are being forced to problem areas, what do they expect? However, you get the fight or robbery, then the bad press and then more clamping down. Perception....

Am out for vacation, starting a camping weekend today! Have a good one all!

Roddy said:
Not my perception, my perception is that these cities have likely seen some kind of illegal activity in their or neighboring cities. And that perception is very likely true, hence my "bet". Tell me, do you honestly know that all dispensaries in Cali were and are following the law to the "T"??

And Hal, I'm sure even you'd say you'd lose that bet....

Do you really find it hard to beleive that some cities simply don't want dispensaries in thier towns? Remember, MJ is still Illegal in all 50 states no matter the MMJ laws.
You cannot force a dispensary in a community that doesn't want one.

My county hasn't had a 'legal' dispensary yet.. Their perception is it could draw a criminal element.. This is obviously based soley on the imagination of a county that didn't want them here in the first place..

I think you both are right really. The fact is some conservative towns/counties just don't want MMJ and often it's because of their perception of mj and what they see in the news about dispensaries getting robbed etc. Can't blame them really. Many still feel the Feds are political name over the state (which they are) and won't want MJ till the Feds say OK, and some still just won't want it cause they are conservative. In certain places I'm sure there are problems with dispensaries that don't help with overall view on MMJ. Some can be truth, some can be perception, that's our situation and only with positive education is that going to change.

I think states are looking at all states with MMJ laws and maybe adopting ideas from various states to use in their state, not just what Cali does or NJ does and copying them. :)

NorCalHal said:
Do you really find it hard to beleive that some cities simply don't want dispensaries in thier towns? Remember, MJ is still Illegal in all 50 states no matter the MMJ laws.
You cannot force a dispensary in a community that doesn't want one.
Not at all, where have I said this isn't true? Do you simply find it hard to believe that corruption existed, was noted and has been a reason for the issues faced?

You seem to think there's just one reason, wake up my friend, there's likely several and one is UNDOUBTEDLY past experience!

pcduck said:
I see it as the same as dry counties and wet counties. And alcohol is legal federally. People still have the perception that there is illegal actives occurring where alcohol is consumed also ;)

....and right at the county line, on any given graveled road,.... there sits a little shack or trailer selling liquor. Municipalities and counties,, "have that right"... my county has a moratorium on dispensaries.
They also do not issue any liquor licenses for any property on the north side of main street. :confused2:

as i'm now seeing, a moratorium can last a long time too!

Yep Irish, they just continue the moratorium saying they need more time to sort it out!

Roddy said:
Not at all, where have I said this isn't true? Do you simply find it hard to believe that corruption existed, was noted and has been a reason for the issues faced?

You seem to think there's just one reason, wake up my friend, there's likely several and one is UNDOUBTEDLY past experience!

Dude...I live 20 minuates from there...I think I would know what is going on in my backyard........

You live 1000's of miles away....maybe your the one who needs to wake up.....

NorCalHal said:
Dude...I live 20 minuates from there...I think I would know what is going on in my backyard........

You live 1000's of miles away....maybe your the one who needs to wake up.....
Not sure what your problem is, but you stomping your foot and repeating over and over again that the IDEA of corruption happening ISN"T at least ONE reason they disallowed dispensaries is just being pretty silly on your part.

Have you ever been to a counsel meeting? LOTS of ideas are tossed around, some quite violently at times. I'm quite certain a LOT of reasons were bantered about...since "I just don't want it" isn't an option as a response. You gotta state WHY you don't want it when the counsel asks the question.
Anyway, please just take a :chillpill: and a toke. :smoke1:

:rolleyes: Of course you're right Hal, the perceived problems are just that...perceived and those rude city managers never saw a reason to be against MMJ, they just are. How could I have been soooo wrong?? :rolleyes: :doh:

:rofl: Man, read what's been said and stop thinking everything I say is against you! Truly, we aren't that different!

A Public Hearing that NO ONE spoke at? Amazing...in California unreal. Los Gatos, last time I was there, was full of hippies, yippies and yuppies. I guess it has changed, it has been a long time.

My county also has a moratorium on dispensaries. They (supervisors) now have a little under a year to make a decision about what we will get or not get here (but could extend it one more year). But at the next meeting you can bet the room will be packed with both sides of the issue and most folks wanting to talk. You cant find a parking space on nights uptown when there is a pot on the Supervisors agenda.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back