MH for vegetative - HPS for flowering

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Intuitive Philosopher

DeepInhaler/DeepThinker
Reaction score
It seems there are alot of users of HPS bulbs on this board...for all stageso of growing. I always used and thought you were supposed to use: Metal Halide for vegetative growth and High Pressure Sodium's for flowering.

I believe my thinking came directly from one of Ed Rosenthal's books...

Has the school of thought changed on this??? :confused:

Intuitive Philosopher said:
It seems there are alot of users of HPS bulbs on this board...for all stageso of growing. I always used and thought you were supposed to use: Metal Halide for vegetative growth and High Pressure Sodium's for flowering.

I believe my thinking came directly from one of Ed Rosenthal's books...

Has the school of thought changed on this??? :confused:

Nope your correct, but HPS does fine all the way thru as will MH

Metal Halides were the way things were done. Modern science has proven light spectrums and how they are assoc. with veg / flower stages. MH are blue (great for veg) and the hps are red (flower). I was told U of Washington state did a research and proved the w/in 10% effiecenty (MH vs HPS).

so i have both using mh-veg
hps-flower, would anyone suggest hps-veg over mh.

personally i have both and use them both. MH for veg (18/6) and HPS for flower(12/12). Thats because i got the MH for cheap and the HPS are brand new still waiting for cooler weather....

Unfortunately I have one 400w MH and one 400W HPS (that can take either MH or HPS) and they are both collecting dust...

So sad...

Latest posts

Back