MUSIC UPDATE: New Band to Listen to

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inmediusre

Reaction score
So, I'm always one to look for new Music. Listening to the same old classics can get old at times and it's always nice to find a rather unknown band that sounds great.

The other day I was watching Conan O Brian (the best late night show on in my opinion, I HEART CONAN) and he had a band on called Gnarls Barkley. Never heard of'em. Their sound was sooo refreshing.

Let me try to explain. The instrumental is mostly hip hop/ electronica. If you didn't hear the guy's voice, and only the instruments, you'd think you were listening to some sort of 1980's rap band. However, it's not so much rap when you hear him sing, cause he has an opera-esque voice. The lead singer has an incredible voice. And his lyrics are extremely poetic. "Everybody wants to be somebody, but nobody wants to be themselves."

I highly reccomend trying out a sample of this band's music. I'd say listen to one of their songs off of their new debut album St. Elsewhere, called "Crazy". Cause their sound is so unique it's hard for me to try and explain what kind of genre they are in. Think of Enya + Moby + Earthwind and Fire + Run DMC.

One of the biggest things I look for in a band are the lyrics, and I'd have to say this band has some of the most refreshing poetic lyrics I've ever heard from any modern band.

Just thought I'd throw it out there. I figure most stoners, like me, love their music, so I thought I would recommend something new to you guys.

I'm thinking Mutt is the man you're looking for...he's the lyrics freak. :p sorry Mutt.:D

Yeah, they are good. They have a version of the violent femmes song "gone daddy gone" that's pretty good.
The strange thing is the lead singer, a guy named Cee-lo is from the southern rap genre, mainly with a group called Goodie Mob, they came from atlanta and got big when Outkast did (not nearly as big). He split off and started doing soul stuff, and a lot of it is pretty good too.
The other guy is MC Dangermouse who is responsible for a lot of the music put out by the Gorillaz.
If you like adult swim you should check out the DangerDoom compilation album, lots of cool stuff on there too, a lot of cartoon samples and stuff.

Latest posts

Back