My First Setup - Tips and Advice Appreciated!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So the problem was definately a buildup of heat. I built a thermometer really quickly and tossed it in there, and the room was sitting at 29.5°C at canopy level (!!). Ive moved them to another room and am working on keeping the room around 23.

Pictures of the readout of the thermometer I built (soon to include humidity, pH, etc), the board, and the temperature sensor are attached.

sensor.JPG

readout.JPG

board.JPG

Got the temps to a more reasonable level, and started watering the plants again (I was letting them dry out to kill the gnats) and the morning after watering them the room is FULL of gnats. I mean, you walk in and get swarmed by them. Stupid gnats.

Finally got 'em repotted. The soil I used was a mix of peat moss, perlite, and a tiny bit (according to the bag) of humus and vermiculite.

Attached a couple pictures, one after the transplant, and one back under the light.

Watered them thoroughly with the mosquito-dunk-soaked water, and hung a new fly strip, so hopefully thats the last of the gnats. In any case, when Im back home this week, Im going to pick up some Diazinon, incase the gnats decide to come back. Its definately been a real test of patience, those stupid gnats.

IMG_0224.JPG

IMG_0226.JPG

SpikedCola said:

Pictures of the readout of the thermometer I built (soon to include humidity, pH, etc), the board, and the temperature sensor are attached.

Cool stuff... Cant wait to see it when its finished

SpikedCola said:
Watered them thoroughly with the mosquito-dunk-soaked water, and hung a new fly strip, so hopefully thats the last of the gnats. In any case, when Im back home this week, Im going to pick up some Diazinon, incase the gnats decide to come back. Its definately been a real test of patience, those stupid gnats.

LOL--gnats ar nothing compared to spider mites. Cross your fingers that you do not get those.

We had spider mites in my moms house plants awhile ago. They were relatively simple to take care of - we sprayed the plants down with a chemical from the farm (probably diazinon or something like that), quarantined them outside, and the mites were gone.

These gnats have been a lot worse. Ive used a pyrethrum spray, DE, and Ive gone as far as repotting them to try and get rid of them.

Fingers crossed!

when i used Miracle grow soil i had gnats super bad just kept putting up the fly strips during flowering they were so bad they stuck all to my buds but no adverse affects i could tell with the plants. when i switched to foxfarm soil no more gnats good luck

Latest posts

Back