my newhps

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

isthatjohnstamos

Reaction score
so i just went to lowes and bought a new 150w hps bulb and i was wondering if this requires a special socket to work cause when i plugged it in it never turned on. or do they take a couple minutes to warm up?

You can't run that bulb in a regular light socket.;)

Ha.. Im very sorry my friend.. I bet we all wish it was that easy.. A HPS light is a HID (High Intensity Discharge) light.. It will not work with normal outlets or sockets.. You are going to have to buy a ballast which can convert normal household electric current into the right one to power your light.. Read up on lighting a little and visit a few sites.. www.htgsupply.com good luck!

can you give me an estimateas to what the ballast will cost cause ill probably just stick with the cfls. and is it really worth it to use the hps do you really get that much more yield?

Dude your not understanding.. Do some reading on lights it is not as simple as buying the right socket ect.. Any HID requires some sort of ballast which will be able to power the light correctly and that is not something you can simply buy at Lowers or Home Depot (unless your an electrician and can wire something up).. The best thing to do IMO is buy a ready to go kit that includes (ballast, power chords, hood, and the whole nine yards)

Basic diagram

HPS Light Diagram.png

you can get a great lighting set up for cheaper on craigslist

youtube also has some great vids on grow lights....

this site has awesome info on lighting and how it all works, its not over scientific either....

f it ill just stick with the cfls and grow more plants to make up for the lower yield. i didnt think it was this much work since almost everyone says thats what they use, thanks for all the imput though.

i will look on craigslist but im on a very tight budget being in coolege an all

one other question i mist my baby like twice a day and keep a dish of water in my grow room but hte humidity still wont go that much above 20 percent what can i do to raise this?

No problem man happy to help and i wouldn't give up on the HPS light just yet you and your plants will be quite happy that they are under one and if you keep your eyes peeled on the internet and at different hydro stores you might be able to find a smaller wattage setup for something more in your price range :) Now about the humitity.. I really don't have any problems with this issue so I dont know a whole lot but i have heard (as a temporary solution) people putting frozen water bottles in front of fans to push moister into the room and bring humitity up.. Hope that helps! :D

yea i got and hps and mh conversion setup 400 watts for 185 at htgsupply.com.. best thing i ever invested in to tell u the truth..you should do that instead of the cfl's or trying to find a ballast..it comes out cheaper if u buy the setup and if u said u wanted a 150 watt setup i think it would run cheaper than my 185 dollar setup..and its good to have the mh for veg and hps for flower..u get the best results man..just think about it

oh and i dont know too much on the humidity problems but i do know that putting those water bottles in front of the fan is a big no no..your plants could get all moldy and u dont want that..i know i didnt give u a solution but i stopped u from makin a mistake..but trust me man everyone here is kool and youll get help with whatever u have a problem with

hey man go back to lowes our homedepo and they got the thing u need to run the bulb its like 70 bucks just ask them were their hps lights are for outside u have to wier it yourself but its easy just pick up a plug and about as much coard as u need for however long of a coard u want it even comes with a bulb but at least ull have a extra just make shure u get the 150 watt sause they got a 75 watt one 2 ..and like i said its very easy to hook u if u need help once u get it im me and ill explain it any one can do it

maryjane22 said:
your plants could get all moldy and u dont want that..i know i didnt give u a solution but i stopped u from makin a mistake..

Like i said i have never used this method before so it is possible that mold problems could develope but i have heard plenty of growers use this technique with fine results and no mold so don't be afraid to give it a try.. I would say if your fan that you place the bottle infront of is far enough away from your plants there will be no problem.. Good luck!

ok well for hte time being i think im going to try the water bottle thing cause i know something has to be done, and since im still in vegging i dont think mold is big concern. i keep a close eye on her and hope for the best but if anyone has any other ideas i would greatly appreciate it.

BizzyHigh said:
Now about the humitity.. I really don't have any problems with this issue so I dont know a whole lot but i have heard (as a temporary solution) people putting frozen water bottles in front of fans to push moister into the room and bring humitity up.. Hope that helps
i was under the impression that this cooled the air and brought the humidity down as well as the temperature.

Dubbaman said:
i was under the impression that this cooled the air and brought the humidity down as well as the temperature.

From what i understand humidity is the measure of water vapor present in a single molecule of air relative to how much it can hold.. By placing the frozen water bottle you are thus increasing the amount of water present within air molecules resulting in an increase in humidity %.. I could be wrong however

well even if this just brings the temp down that would help alot cause i have a 2x2x3 grow box that i cant seem to get below 90 even by opening the top ill post in a few days and clear up some of the confusion by letting you guys know what happens. thanks again if it wasnt for all of you shed be dead by now, you guys are the best

well this seems to work great, all i do is put one bottle in in the morning then switch it in the afternoon. it brought the temp down to 82 from 90 and the humidity is up to 35% from 20, so that killed two birds with one stone thanks for the advice

Latest posts

Back