My very first grow: help please!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highguy69

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
this is my first time growing and i want to make it a successful one.

here is my situation,

I have a t.v. box with two seedlings in it, with one 100W incandescent bulb inside, the boxes inside is wrapped with tinfoil and foil tape.

The seedlings are each about three inches out of the soil, and have about 10 leaves each, one seedlings leaves are turning yellow what should i do about that?

I am currently on a 16/8 light dark ratio, is this a good idea for the stage they are at?

all the help appreciated and wanted,
thank you very much,
-Highguy69

hi highguy
imo i would get rid of the foil it can cause hotspots and you will not be able to get much further with an incandescent light bulb you will need to get some cfls also have you got any fans in there ,,,also keep your seedlings on a 16/8 or 24/0

goodluck :48:

if i get rid of the foil it is brown cardboard is that fine?
and where can i pick up CFL's?

foils can be one that cause tip burns, why dont ya use white blazin white instead of foils, you can get CFL from wal mart ya can get supplies keep in mind dixie cups for seeding, paper towels, cfl, potting soil, pea moss, pertile, one stop wal mart, then you off to good start

hello highguy...please dont take this the wrong way...Please Read up some more on the setup and design forum...Cardboard is very flammable and no good..it will fall apart from the moister from growing...Melissa told you why not to use foil..it also isnt very reflective..Milar,panda film, or flat white paint is what most use..and no you cant just use the brown..Please be safe and find an old dresser or cloths closet..something made of wood..cfls are those tristy lite bulbs found at Home Depot/Lowes...Good luck and KEEP M GREEN

I would listen to to little buddy he knows what he is talking about and Mel.

Be safe & grow safe or have problems.

wait, so aluminum foil can cause tip burns? how is that possible? i thought i had a nute problem...

if you just have to use foil turn it so the shinny side is not faceing your plants you want the dull side faceing your plants, incandecent light is whorthless for growing not the right color spectrum. you need cfls, mix them up like daylight and cool light or soft white.. keep them 2-4 inches away from your plants..

honeybear said:
wait, so aluminum foil can cause tip burns? how is that possible? i thought i had a nute problem...
if i understand it correctly, aluminum foil reflects a lot of heat and can tend to cause hot spots where too much energy is being reflected into one place, causing burns

the yellowing might be a big list of things.
First eliminate your lighting and reflection problem, then see if it doesn't change.

If not, look in the 'sick plants and problems' section for more details on nutrient problems.

Most of the time yellowing is due to a lack of nitrogen, but is very dependent on a list of things. Just read up on it and I'm sure you'll get the hang of things.

take a look at the second link in my signature, it has pics of sick plants that may help you out if you can't post pics of your plant. listen to these guys and gals, they'll have you on the right track in no time

dude, that harleyguy818, aint made but three post and they are all the same thing , I HAVE A ? is there a HONDAguy THAT CAN HELP HIM OUT?????? LOL!!!!!!

gettinggray1964 said:
dude, that harleyguy818, aint made but three post and they are all the same thing , I HAVE A ? is there a HONDAguy THAT CAN HELP HIM OUT?????? LOL!!!!!!
:rofl::rofl::rofl:.....too funny

highguy'.. you'be recieved some good advice so far.. "Get out of that cardboard box"... and .."read read read". ;)

^^^hahahaha.

there are two leaves on each of my plants that look completely differtent then any of the other leaves on them, they are located at the bottom of the plant, they have turned yellow and started to shrivle and look like they are about to fall off what should i do?
that is only happening to one plant so far, is it fixable?

Latest posts

Back