Mylar or Panda Plastic

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrowUsome

Reaction score
Which is best to use mylar or panda plastic? in most large grow rooms i've seen they usually go with panda plastic. how does mylar compare to panda plastic? just curious

panda is easier to clean & install, but mylar is more reflective

Panda 90% reflective (they claim). Mylar 98%.
Panda: 5 reflections, 50% remains.
Mylar: 5 reflections, 90% remains.

how close does the mylar or panda plastic have to be to the plants?
and how close does the panda plastic or mylar have to be to the light?

I just hung some panda in my grow room, and having helped a buddy hang Mylar a long time ago, something should be said for convenience. Unless you a have a second set of hands, Mylar is a royal pain in the ***, while Panda can be hung with relative ease. If your space is small, like a closet where your Mylar cuts will not be very big then go for Mylar. However the room I just hung the Panda in (by myself) had walls 8' long, 7' high, and to get that up solo was great, I would not have been able to get (and drag) around Mylar in that way, Mylar is more prone to tear.

Also you can clean Panda, where as Mylar is hard to clean, if you can even clean it at all without damaging it (depending on what you spilled/flung on the Mylar). They do make a thicker kind of Mylar though, that I have not tried, the Panda I had was at least 5x the thickness of the Mylar I had experience with.

Just some thoughts.

IMO, either will do and you will see no major difference with either one
for convienence go with Panda.

I used to use mylar, I now have no mylar anywhere anymore. I just hate this stuff. It is only 98% reflective if it is hung perfectly with no wrinkles (I personally do not think this is possible, no matter how many hands you have). It is not light-proof, it tears easily, it does not wash or clean up well at all and cannot be reused (taken down and rehung). Panda film is almost as reflective and is just so much nicer to hang and work with. However, with that being said, I have a veg closet that I simply painted a good quality flat white paint. In truth, I have not noticed much difference between the 3 different surfaces as far as growth goes.

I have used both surfaces as well...mylar sucks compared to Panda film with respect to ease of use and installing effectively...

Like HG said, mylar is only a little better if you can hang it correctly (no wrinkles)..which is super duper hard...maybe impossible?

If u use panda film, one side is comletely black and light blocking, and the other side is clean white and reflective...I don't think you can clean mylar effectively...

Imaging trying to put up a huge sheet of slippery tissue paper plat against a wall with no wrinkles..super lame...trust that:)

Latest posts

Back