Name The Movie Game from a picture.............. Lets Play

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Must have been a good while after I was there. Never even heard of that during my tour.
One aspect of the culture shock though, was two guys walking along the street holding hands.
Not gay dudes...just good friends, and it was a cultural norm for them at the time.
Took this old small town country boy aback a little bit when I saw the first ones. lol

I was greeted with M-16-armed ROK soldiers boarding public buses looking for infiltrators, ceramic holes in unisex bathroom floors, and what we called Kimche Cabs - small 4 door taxi cars in a country with rough roads and ZERO SPEED LIMITS.

It's considered in poor taste to refuse an offer of food from a homeowner, and when sitting in the proximity of another, you had to be careful not to point the bottom of your shoe at them, as when crossing your legs, or propping your ankle on your knee.

I found the Korean people to be kind and warm - even as they were living in near-abject poverty at the time, in a country under Martial Law. That was years before Park Chung Hee's assassination.

https://seoulistic.com/korean-culture/culture-shock-in-korea-why-you-might-feel-uncomfortable/
I bought a bicycle and a Polaroid camera when I was there, and I'd ride among the rice paddies and find small villages way out in the boonies with like, one general store and just a few hooches. It was easy to find them, because they all had a tall pole with a big speaker-horn on top, and they'd play traditional Korean music all day as they harvested rice, or plowed their fields (barefoot, behind an ox-drawn single plow).

I'd take pictures of the children and give them to them, and the adults would invite me in for a beverage. They had so little - yet they were happy to share what they did have. The kids would look at my arm hairs and pull them...then giggle and run off.

It wasn't until many years later that I realized the rural folks were so poor and had so little food that they'd send their young daughters to be near military bases to hook for money to buy food.

It was a remote, hardscrabble country, and I wish I'd paid a bit more attention to the country and its people while I was there. I have warm memories of my time there - except the time our power went out in sub-zero temperatures. I shivered so much that my stomach muscles hurt for three days afterwards, as if I'd done 1000 situps at one time.

No, not 20,000 leagues.

A little closer to 50 years, but no. I've never heard of KPCOD. Is that an Army thing?
Yep. If you tested positive for a social disease, you couldn't rotate back to the stated before it was cleared up, so the guys would abstain from sex with the locals. Korean Pu**y Cut Off Date, which was normally 30 days before the trip home.

Yep. If you tested positive for a social disease, you couldn't rotate back to the stated before it was cleared up, so the guys would abstain from sex with the locals. Korean Pu**y Cut Off Date, which was normally 30 days before the trip home.
They just laid us flyboys junk out on a big old table and whacked us a couple times with a big old rubber mallet to expel that stuff. It didn't hurt for long. So I've heard.

Ok, what movie did this come from?

1705008314365.png

Latest posts

Back