Blue Sky Grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Africanna

Reaction score
We live on a smallholding about 350km from CT and run a small thoroughbred horse breeding operation and board mares for breeders. Being adjacent to a game reserve, we don't really grow anything other than lucerne and some hay because the babs stuff everything up - that includes weed which they love. We're both in our mid 60's and intend selling up or leasing the property next year - living in rural SA is risky and Mrs Afr wants to be closer to good medical treatment and facilities.

So grows happen at our small townhouse in a complex in the northern suburbs of CT where we spend around 4-5 months each year. CT has a mediterranean climate with cool wet winters and warm dry summers with low humidity (thankfully). This past winter has been a long wet one and spring has not arrived yet but the seedlings have recently emerged from their cups. Will post photos once there's something worthwhile showing.
Complex.jpg

Having a small yard, the grows are always organic container grows in 5 and 7 gallon containers - plants get up to 6ft tall. I use my own mixture of living soil and if/when I do fertilise, I use Madagascan bat guano. We can legally grow 4 plants per person (8 for the two of us) but I'll do 5 each just in case.

So, the strains used this year are Durban Poison (always something indigenous), Misty Kush and Zamal (Mangu Karot) from the Indian Ocean island of Reunion - this one's a first for me.

I'll post up as things move along.

Hamba kakuhle

Last edited:
All the best this cycle , the Durban is one of our favorites , the licorice anise peppery phenos are our favorite

i suppose it is pretty easy to source seeds?…..are there legal dispensaries in SA that sell weed and seeds?

cheers
big

All the best this cycle , the Durban is one of our favorites , the licorice anise peppery phenos are our favorite

i suppose it is pretty easy to source seeds?…..are there legal dispensaries in SA that sell weed and seeds?

cheers
big
Thanks amigo.

Yes, seeds and literally every cannabis type product (oils, edibles, smokables, medicinals et al is available to the consumer and their pets. I am fortunate to have a connection in the rural area known as The Valley of A Thousand Hills in the KZN province where I get my DP - probably as good as it gets but as you know, little to nothing remains unaffected by some sort of cross-pollination

Spring has arrived and most of these young maidens are almost ready for their new homes. Lost one of the two Zamal's for some inexplicable reason which is a bit of a bummer as the seeds are hard to come by.

Goed gaan

View attachment 343369
They look good though.

Two weeks on from the last update and going strong - 10 wks to date. Happily co-existing alongside the potted figs and pomegranates.

Grow medium: my own mix of SS - no signs that supplementary feeding required
Light: currently 14hrs daylight with 9hrs direct sun on the plants - 34C today
Water: tank stored rainwater - PH 6.8, very mildly acidic bordering on neutral

Photos courstesy Mrs Afr - I'm getting the mares foaled down

Hamba kakuhle
20231113_111448_HDR-1.jpg

20231113_111555_HDR-1.jpg

20231113_112416_HDR.jpg

20231113_111615_HDR.jpg

those are looking very robust and healthy!

will you be doing any defoliation?

cheers
big
Thanks amigo.

I only defoliate to clear out the old leaves that naturally turn yellow. We have fantastic natural light and I like the solar panels to do what nature intended for them.

Where very dense, I open up the branches a bit, tying them to the stakes to allow more light in. Works fine

Thanks amigo.

I only defoliate to clear out the old leaves that naturally turn yellow. We have fantastic natural light and I like the solar panels to do what nature intended for them.

Where very dense, I open up the branches a bit, tying them to the stakes to allow more light in. Works fine
I have so much to learn...

Latest posts

Back