Nausea

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what kind of nausea are you experiencing?

Nausea: a review of pathophysiology and therapeutics​

Prashant Singh, Sonia S. Yoon, and Braden Kuo
Author information Copyright and License information Disclaimer

Go to:

Abstract​

The sensation of nausea is a common occurrence with diverse causes and a significant disease burden. Nausea is considered to function as a protective mechanism, warning the organism to avoid potential toxic ingestion. Less adaptive circumstances are also associated with nausea, including post-operative nausea, chemotherapy-induced nausea, and motion sickness. A common definition of nausea identifies the symptom as a precursor to the act of vomiting. The interaction, though present, does not appear to be a simple relationship. Nausea is unfortunately the ‘neglected symptom’, with current accepted therapy generally directed at improving gastrointestinal motility or acting to relieve emesis. Improved understanding of the pathophysiological basis of nausea has important implications for exploiting novel mechanisms or developing novel therapies for nausea relief.
Keywords: autonomic nervous system, central nervous system, diagnostics, nausea, neuroendocrine, pathogenesis, therapeutics, vomiting
Go to:

Introduction​

Nausea is a commonly encountered symptom with a broad list of possible causes (Table 1). It has been defined as an ‘unpleasant painless subjective feeling that one will imminently vomit’ [Hasler and Chey, 2003]. While nausea and vomiting are often thought to exist on a temporal continuum, this is not always the case. There are situations when severe nausea may be present without emesis and less frequently, when emesis may be present without preceding nausea. Most individuals report that nausea is more common, more disabling, feels worse and lasts longer than vomiting [Stern et al. 2011]. Despite this, there is a clear understanding of the mechanisms underlying nausea; much of which is about nausea concomitant with emesis. With this in mind, the aim of this review is to examine current knowledge to understand the pathophysiological basis of nausea, review the diagnosis and management, and consider the evidence for traditional and novel therapies.

Table 1.​

Common causes of nausea.
Medications and toxic etiologies​
Disorders of the gut and peritoneum​
Cancer chemotherapyMechanical obstruction
Analgesics Gastric outlet obstruction
Cardiovascular medications Small bowel obstruction
 DigoxinFunctional gastrointestinal disorders
 Antiarrhythmics Functional dyspepsia
 Antihypertensives Chronic idiopathic nausea
  β-Blockers Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome
  Calcium-channel antagonists Idiopathic vomiting
Hormonal preparations/therapies
 Oral antidiabetics Non-ulcer dyspepsia
 Oral contraceptives Irritable bowel syndrome
Antibiotics/antiviralsOrganic gastrointestinal disorders
 Erythromycin Pancreatic adenocarcinoma
 Tetracycline Peptic ulcer disease
  Sulfonamides Cholecystitis
  Antituberculous drugs Pancreatitis
  Acyclovir Hepatitis
Gastrointestinal medications Crohn’s disease
 SulfasalazineNeuromuscular disorders of the gastrointestinal tract
 Azathioprine Gastroperesis
Nicotine Post-operative nausea and vomiting
CNS active Chronic intestinal pseudo-obstruction
NarcoticsCNS causes
Antiparkinsonian drugsMigraine
AnticonvulsantsIncreased intracranial pressure
 Malignancy
Radiation therapy Hemorrhage
 Infarction
Ethanol abuse Abscess
 Meningitis
Infectious causesCongenital malformation
 GastroenteritisHydrocephalus
 Otitis mediaPseudotumor cerebri
Acute intermittent porphyriaSeizure disorders
Demyelinating disorders
Miscellaneous causesPsychiatric disease
Cardiac diseasePsychogenic vomiting
Myocardial infarctionAnxiety disorders
Congestive heart failureDepression
Radiofrequency ablationPain
StarvationEating disorders
Labyrinthine disorders
Motion sickness
Labyrinthitis
Tumors
Meniere’s disease
Iatrogenic
Endocrinological and metabolic causes
Pregnancy
Other endocrine and metabolic
Uremia
Diabetic ketoacidosis
Hyperparathyroidism
Hypoparathyroidism
Hyperthyroidism
Addison’s disease
Open in a separate window
Go to:

link Nausea: a review of pathophysiology and therapeutics

try dronabinol...my doctor told me to try it for nausea relief after the cancer surgery...it works, you don't feel anything but relief...best of all, if shows up on a piss test as THC which gives me a pass on piss tests...

Only two other ways to consume it as far as I know.
1667770863334.png

if all else fails there is always promethizine(sp.) suppositories...slip one up the chute and in 10 minutes you just don't care about anything...I got a few from a member here...boy do they work...

if all else fails there is always promethizine(sp.) suppositories...slip one up the chute and in 10 minutes you just don't care about anything...I got a few from a member here...boy do they work...
Promethazine comes in a pill too.

i don't.
legal here.
i buy pills ,CBD and THC. past 6 months.
i smoked it in 80's and early 90's,but not for pain. ;)

just asking what part of plant.
not asking for a cure or treatment.

What do you do with your Mary Jane if not smoke it?

Latest posts

Back