need help. are these ladies or dudes?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

things and places

Reaction score
These are the four plants I have been growing. They have been in flower cycle for over a week now. It seems that at least two of the plants have what look like pollen sacks. Just looking for some confirmation. The images are mixed but I know which plant is which. Just tell me what you think.

CIMG5988.JPG

CIMG5989.JPG

CIMG5995.JPG

CIMG5993.JPG

things and places said:
These are the four plants I have been growing. They have been in flower cycle for over a week now. It seems that at least two of the plants have what look like pollen sacks. Just looking for some confirmation. The images are mixed but I know which plant is which. Just tell me what you think.

No, your plants aren't even sexually mature yet. They still have opposing nodes.

At about 6 weeks old, the plants will develop alternating nodes. That is when they will be sexually mature. Until then, you'll have no flowers of any kind.

What you're seeing is just new growth at the nodes.

After the nodes start alternating, the plant will then show it's sex with preflowers.

You've still got some time before that.

kind of hard to tell but i think the bottom right one is a male,ive had plants in veg an the nodes hadnt internoded an i could pic which ones where male then i put them into flower once they were internoding an yeah they were males so iam gonna say the bottom right an possibly top right are both males,keep em on flower an in anotha week or so you should be able to tell for sure,so let us know i wanna see if am right cozz i could be wrong but thats what iam thinking at this stage

she looks like a girl from behind then she turned around and she was a he. j/k
they're are not old enough yet.

My plant that I just harvested was showing preflowers/pistils at less than a month old. You can clearly see that the nodes are not alternating and you can see the pistils. First pic is the only one you can see the nodes are not alternating and the other one is just a close-up of female preflowers.

Pistils.jpg

femalepistil.jpg

medicore said:
My plant that I just harvested was showing preflowers/pistils at less than a month old. You can clearly see that the nodes are not alternating and you can see the pistils. First pic is the only one you can see the nodes are not alternating and the other one is just a close-up of female preflowers.

MJ shows preflowers after reaching sexual maturity. USUALLY between 4 and 6 weeks.

There is no arguing that. It's been proven about a million times.

To show a single instance of a plant showing preflowers before 4 weeks means that you have a very early sexually maturing plant.

It's not the norm. It's very unusual.

Alternating nodes is also a near absolute. By showing one plant that hasn't, you've shown something interesting, but not in any way the norm.

We're trying to teach people how to grow marijuana here on this site. When teaching, one has to follow what happens 99% of the time. That's what I've done. You've shown the other 1%.

It's interesting, but may be a little confusing to those who haven't grown much.

i can't argue what Stoney is saying....but i've been sexing plants for a while when they are pretty young and i usually find out the sex before my nodes are alternating too....for me it's a pretty regular occurence....i think it's really a matter of how early into veg the plant was put into flowing....but that's just my opinion of course....

FYI....that's on plants grown from seed after about a 1-2 week veg time....

fleshstain said:
i can't argue what Stoney is saying....but i've been sexing plants for a while when they are pretty young and i usually find out the sex before my nodes are alternating too....for me it's a pretty regular occurence....i think it's really a matter of how early into veg the plant was put into flowing....but that's just my opinion of course....

FYI....that's on plants grown from seed after about a 1-2 week veg time....

I would love it if you would post pictures of your next grow from the time you start the seeds. As soon as the seeds start sprouting is when the 4 week clock starts on sexual maturity. I really want to see them at 3 weeks old from sprouting and having preflowers. A simple marking cut on the stem near the nodes will identify the plant throughout it's grow.

Please, make sure to take good clear pics of the nodes each time showing the identification marks on the stem.

This will only work if you post the pics as soon as the seeds have sprouted.

I look forward to this experiment.

This will be very interesting. If your plants show preflowers before 4 weeks from sprouting, and before any alternating nodes on the plant, you'll have changed my mind.

that's a good idea Stoney....i can do that soon....in the next few weeks i'm gonna start the rest of my NL x WW seeds....i'll have my camera back by then so i'll be able to do a good day by day on them....

my plant that just showed my sex in my closet are a little over 4 weeks old now and still doesn't have alternating nodes....however i did top it going into flowering so that may have had an affect....

fleshstain said:
that's a good idea Stoney....i can do that soon....in the next few weeks i'm gonna start the rest of my NL x WW seeds....i'll have my camera back by then so i'll be able to do a good day by day on them....

my plant that just showed my sex in my closet are a little over 4 weeks old now and still doesn't have alternating nodes....however i did top it going into flowering so that may have had an affect....

I've got to make sure you and I are on the same page....you do know I mean the new growth of nodes....right? The nodes that are already on the plant aren't going to start alternating. I'm not sure where you are in pot growing, so I'm not sure where to start.

How many crops have you grown indoors?

I've been growing for more than 40 years and inside exclusively in hydro for 25+ of those 40.

I've managed hundreds of crops for others and have grown hundreds of them in my own grow rooms.

I see anomalies once in awhile, but what I've said is pretty much the norm unless the very newest strains have different characteristics than those that I've grown.

The reason that alternating nodes develop is the same reason the plant won't grow flowers until the hormones within the plant are of a balance that allow flowering to take place. When these and many other hormonal adjustments take place, the plant moves into it's next phase of growth.

If someone has bred a plant that now doesn't require the same hormonal stages in it's development, that would interest me a lot.

Do any of you advanced biology people know if this is what has happened?

Stoney Bud said:
I've got to make sure you and I are on the same page....you do know I mean the new growth of nodes....right? The nodes that are already on the plant aren't going to start alternating. I'm not sure where you are in pot growing, so I'm not sure where to start.

How many crops have you grown indoors?

I've been growing for more than 40 years and inside exclusively in hydro for 25+ of those 40.

I've managed hundreds of crops for others and have grown hundreds of them in my own grow rooms.

I see anomalies once in awhile, but what I've said is pretty much the norm unless the very newest strains have different characteristics than those that I've grown.

The reason that alternating nodes develop is the same reason the plant won't grow flowers until the hormones within the plant are of a balance that allow flowering to take place. When these and many other hormonal adjustments take place, the plant moves into it's next phase of growth.

If someone has bred a plant that now doesn't require the same hormonal stages in it's development, that would interest me a lot.
I did not mean to start an argument by posting that first thread. I posted it because I noticed something different from the norm, not just in one plant or one strain. I have two strains growing this year and on both of them I found preflowers before 4 weeks. I tried growing a few years back and had the same thing. I know you have a lot of experience and I am not challenging you, seriously. I am only challenging the fact that all plants are different and you don't need 40 years of growing experience to observe these things. I observed it and took a picture of it. Also if you look closely at the second picture that Things and Places posted you will see a preflower of some kind, it is a blurry picture but you can see that something is there, right in between the new leaves and that sharp little node.

medicore said:
I did not mean to start an argument by posting that first thread. I posted it because I noticed something different from the norm, not just in one plant or one strain. I have two strains growing this year and on both of them I found preflowers before 4 weeks. I tried growing a few years back and had the same thing. I know you have a lot of experience and I am not challenging you, seriously. I am only challenging the fact that all plants are different and you don't need 40 years of growing experience to observe these things. I observed it and took a picture of it. Also if you look closely at the second picture that Things and Places posted you will see a preflower of some kind, it is a blurry picture but you can see that something is there, right in between the new leaves and that sharp little node.
No argument here! No one is angry. We're discussing something, right?

When you say 4 weeks, when does your clock start? I'm talking about the first day the seed sprouts.

Stoney's right, it's a discussion not an argument....ok Stoney, im pretty sure we're on the same page....you're talking about the nodes on all new growth that forms on the plant and not the older growth....am i correct?

for my experience, i've grown about 60 something crops between myself and teaming up with other buddies....i've also done a couple dozen outdoor grows....but the outdoor grows were almost 10 years ago....pretty much all of my knowledge is from soil....but i have been dabbling with hydro a little lately....i'm still fairly young but i do have a little bit of experience....i still believe there is a ton i can still and am learning....and for the record, i highly value your opinions and knowledge....

i start my day counting as soon as i see any form of main stalk forming....usually before cotyledons have formed or the seed shell has fallen off....do you start then or at first signs of a taproot?

Forgive me, I misinterpreted your statement when you said "We're trying to teach people how to grow marijuana here on this site". When someone states the obvious to me I usually conclude that they are trying to undermine me or my opinion, sorry.

Yes I am talking about from the first day the seed sprouts and also that I have found preflowers on some of my non-alternating node MJ plants.

I only saw new growth in the first post piccys and couldn't tell on the blurry pic what was what (double hard with 1 eye) from the other pic of a pistil

would like to add my input tho

I start day one when i have a plant above soil at least 1/2 inch tall...just how i do it This could also be called day 4-5 from seed crack'n as well....

so usually my plants take 4 week's from my day 1 to show maturity trait's

I have had 1 show at 3 weeks from my day 1 and toss pistils before 4 of my weeks :)

spent 2 hours search'n 3 forums for a pic of my plant without alternating nodes show'n her pube's but couldn't find it sorry.... it's in one of my GJ's some where.

not the first time I have seen a plant show pubes in under 4 weeks and no alternating node's but ya don't see it often just like the little bud that will grow on a fan leaf of *****'d plant some times :hubba:

look'n back over note's from a 2003 grow I did, I noted pubes before alternating nodes from a forced herm i used to pollinate a different female and grew those seed's out, I will never do that again thats for sure

grow on all

:watchplant:

medicore said:
Forgive me, I misinterpreted your statement when you said "We're trying to teach people how to grow marijuana here on this site". When someone states the obvious to me I usually conclude that they are trying to undermine me or my opinion, sorry.

Yes I am talking about from the first day the seed sprouts and also that I have found preflowers on some of my non-alternating node MJ plants.

hehe, you'll see that lots of people see "Day 1" as something different.

You and I see it as the same time. That's very interesting. What strains have you noticed this trait in?

P.S. Here on Marijuana Passion, we're pretty laid back. No real "attitudes" are put up with here for more than a post or two. Sorry if I gave you the impression of arguing. I'm pretty much saturated with experience in growing. If I find something that is beyond my experience, it's interesting to me, but first we have to find common ID's for that which we are speaking about. Day 1 is just an example.

Scientific method is something that exists for definition. Proper definition can't be arrived at until a common method is used.

I look forward to learning more about this, through your experience and methods.

The things that are discussed here are sometimes read for the first time by a new member a year or more later. I have a tendency to phrase things with that concept in mind. Most people come here to learn how to grow weed. I want to be as clear as possible when I say something so that it doesn't keep confusing people when read later.

Ok, I just confused myself, so I'm hittin the sack.

G'nite people,

Peace

got some updated pics. i think these are males for sure. and i have been growing these for nearly 6 weeks. a couple of the pics are blury but i see balls. this is bagseed.

CIMG6007.JPG

CIMG6003.JPG

CIMG6006.JPG

Latest posts

Back