Need help picking a light

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
will that be the only light ??? and how many plants do you want to grow ??

Yo Ho HydroManiac,

It really is smart to seek out a touch of advise, and we would love to help, but a little more info is needed.
1. How big or small is your growing space ?
2. What is the material that your space is made of ?
3. How many plants are you interested in growing at the same time ?
4. Are you set up to be able to cool the space ?
5. Growing Sativa or Indica ?

I think that all things being said, you might want to consider what you really want to be able to do in the long run. You might decide to go with more, or maybe less, but remember you want lots of lumens and the right kind of light for vegging first then flowering. Give us a shout so we can advise you well.

smoke in peace
KingKahuuna

19"x19"x6' with four plants and im growing a mix of some type of purp seeds i got from a friend so most likely a sativa since the seeds are big... I can afford about a 80 cfm fan this will all stationed in a old clothes stand thats made out metal im gonna make the walls out of foil

I use a 600w HPS, with iar cooled hood that htg sells and it runs fine...they deliver quickly and are good businessmen...when the special bulb I ordered had to be back-ordered they sent me a bulb to hold me over til the right one came in, then didn't want me to ship it back to them when the gro-lux came in, = free bulb...that's good business...

Peace...j.b.

HydroManiac said:
19"x19"x6' with four plants and im growing a mix of some type of purp seeds i got from a friend so most likely a sativa since the seeds are big... I can afford about a 80 cfm fan this will all stationed in a old clothes stand thats made out metal im gonna make the walls out of foil

That will be a lot of light for that space--a whopping 6400 lumens per sq ft.--your girls will absolutely love it. A 150W doesn't put out a huge amount of heat, but if you can air cool the light, it really helps with heat issues. You also have the added bonus of being able to keep your plants really close to the light. I think that an 80 cfm will do the job.

Foil is not a good material to use. Despite the fact that it looks reflective, it is not. And it can create hot spots that burn your plants--which is more of a concern in a smaller space. Mylar is the best, Panda film second, but flat white paint comes in third for best reflectability (and it is inexpensive and readily available). I find mylar hard to hang without wrinkles, it does not wash well and it is not reusable. I prefer Panda film.

I'm not sure that large seeds indicate a sativa. If you are using bagseeds, keep a watch out for hermies.

In that small a space, I think I would use a 150W HPS supplemented with a couple of 40W CFLs to improve veg growth. I have a 150 HPS myself and it does put out quite enough heat to require ventilation. The CFLs run much cooler so if ventilation is an issue (sound of fans running) I'd instead use say, 6 x 40W CFLs and keep them very close to the plants. You can get HPS lamps on EBay really cheap - I bought a 400W ballast/light socket unit for $15 and a pair of 150's with great big reflectors for $10 each.

I have pretty much the same grow room as he does, however I have to keep my lights inside a cabinet. Is that not a good idea? Also I wanted to do two 150 watt lights, one hps mini kit just like the link from the first post and then I wanted to get the same thing but for metal halide. For some reason I cannot find metal halide kits, does anyone know where I can get one?? I am lost!

well well, check my thread....I will post the update about how much lights
you really needs... check it out..

what thread are you talking about? Could you provide a link? I read some of the threads you started and I don't know if they pertain to me? Links to where you got you're metal halide 150 watt setup would be cool to.

Here is the $20 wonder light, 150 watt HPS, that everyone is bragging about and using successfully, if you are cheap get it.

http://www.e-conolight.com/Product/EProductDetail.asp?ProductFamilyID=7&FGNumber=E-MT6H151G

If you have some money, get this 400 watt digital grow kit, includes bulb, digital ballast and reflector, plus has been time tested by myself at no extra charge. all that for $139, they have more options available if necessary such as cool tube and better reflectors.

http://www.hidhut.com/catalog/400w-hps-digital-ballast-bulb-and-economy-reflector-combo-p-414.html

If you want bigger let me know and we'll find something. Also you will need something to veg with. You can use CFL's or flourescent or move up to Metal Halide. give us your choice and we can go from their.

I got 12 chesse cuttings in a wilma dripper, terra professional soil, 2x 600 watt hps groulux bulbs, rvk extractor 250 mm a big carbon filter, diamond maylar, (it's great it doesn't crease easy) :)
air hole filtered at the bottom, 2x oscing fans one low where the air in-take is (not powered in the air in-take the cool air gets drawn in hopefullly) the other just blowing under the lights and on my babies!!!
Ive got a bubbler in the res, not air stone. a heater just to take the chill 20 temp, first week I just adjusted the PH i did it at 5.7-5.9 but ive let it go 6.5 now it gives it the best range of nute uptake.. Today well yesterday was day 7, i changed water res completley cleaned moved pots around, then first time I added voodoo, & Sensi AB grow. EC 0.8 and even after a few hours i checked the EC and its down to 0.6 hopefully their Hungry!! :p
I'll check EC in morning if i see any signs of over fert ill flush!!! I will get pics up asap.. New to this but love MP already..
Their doing really well when moved the pot round i noticed on a few the roots are sticking out the bottom of pots already!! nice and white with the hairs on them.. Will veg for 3-4 i think. and use the bending things... on the plant,
I have more lights too and fans i was using the sunmaster MH (blue) but they get really hot.. plus the others lights are new growlux..
Regards CDM

Hemp, the link you provided did not list a 150w metal halide bulb. They were 70 watts and 150 watt HPS.

Latest posts

Back