Need Opinions for New Setup

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenhead

My Girls!
Reaction score
Found 600W light can use HPS or MH this have heat vent reflector glass sheild Ballast is digital w/timer a HPS bulb and yoyo hanger system

This is a link to a light I'm concerned about. Is the $247.00 + 53.00 s&h a good deal for this? 2. the new grow room will be in a light tight 8'T x 7'W x 4'D room would you have to have a cooling fan and could you get by on a 400W. I'm thinking of mylar lining Need some help on this please!!!:) :rolleyes: BTW the room will be in a basement as well i do have a dehumidfier to regulate this problem 3. what is good humidiity for a hydro setup?
TIA

No, you cannot get by with a 400W--a 600W is not even enough light for 28 sq ft. You want a min of 5000 lumens per sq ft. A 600W HPS gives you about 3200 lumens per sq ft. You might want to consider making a separate vegging/cloning space within that space or spring for a 1000W light. Regardless of what light you choose, you are going to need ventilation. You will most likely need to cool your light. You also need ventilation for your space. You need to exchange the air in the room 3-4 times a minute to endure that your plants are getting enough CO2--you have 224 cu ft. The plants also really like something like an oscillating fan blowing on them at least part of the time. This helps strengthen the stems.

I have room we made within a room that is about 7x7 or 7x7.5 or something but it works out to 50sq to sake or easy calculations. i have a 1000w hps thats about 4 feet high right now. it is roughly 40% of perfect. ideally i need 2 1kw and 2 250/400w inorder to cover it right. realisticly i need another 600w but i have money for a 400w and that should be enough. the lumen/ft thing helps, but that doesn't consider angle from bulb, and if its on the "rainshadow" of the plant.

with my 1000w they get >5k lumens on the inside of the plants. but on the outer row of plants(i fit 14 3gal pots under this guy like a stadium) it drops BAD. just on the outer side of the top it drops to 2k lumens, then within a couple inches down to less than 1000. once your to the bottom of the outer plant its at 200ish.

i have all these plants in a footpritn that calculates out to them gettign no less than 3k lumens, but in reality it is much less for some plants and much more for others.

So to fix this im going to make the width of the footprint narrower and add a 400hps at the other end where the light drops off and where the now out of place pots will go.

a stagered grid of pots that is 2|3|5|3|2 with the tallest on the outside like a stadium is the setup i use to try and get full advantage out of my 1000w. there is zero free space and all the rims touch. you can fit more pots in the same area if you offset them by the radius of the pot each row. so like bowling pins pushed together.

keep in mind we have the same area room so you will need to only grow like 8 plants max in a side of your room under the 400 and hang a mylar wall(what we do in the 7x7 for flowering) to lower the size do the room the light can defuse into.

sorry wake and bake :confused:

Nvm im used to LxWxH so i thought we had the same sized room.

Hey HG thanks I read my post and I see where I left out the divider panel in the 7' wide actually the flower room will be like 4' the clone and mother will have a 2 teir system. I watched a great video on Utube gave me some of the ideas for constr. I have no doubt you can help me in the future. Have done quite a bit outdoors but that was when I was a yonker!!!LOL:D Whole new game now! Thanks again to all

lotek said:
I have room we made within a room that is about 7x7 or 7x7.5 or something but it works out to 50sq to sake or easy calculations. i have a 1000w hps thats about 4 feet high right now. it is roughly 40% of perfect. ideally i need 2 1kw and 2 250/400w inorder to cover it right. realisticly i need another 600w but i have money for a 400w and that should be enough. the lumen/ft thing helps, but that doesn't consider angle from bulb, and if its on the "rainshadow" of the plant.

with my 1000w they get >5k lumens on the inside of the plants. but on the outer row of plants(i fit 14 3gal pots under this guy like a stadium) it drops BAD. just on the outer side of the top it drops to 2k lumens, then within a couple inches down to less than 1000. once your to the bottom of the outer plant its at 200ish.

i have all these plants in a footpritn that calculates out to them gettign no less than 3k lumens, but in reality it is much less for some plants and much more for others.

So to fix this im going to make the width of the footprint narrower and add a 400hps at the other end where the light drops off and where the now out of place pots will go.

a stagered grid of pots that is 2|3|5|3|2 with the tallest on the outside like a stadium is the setup i use to try and get full advantage out of my 1000w. there is zero free space and all the rims touch. you can fit more pots in the same area if you offset them by the radius of the pot each row. so like bowling pins pushed together.

keep in mind we have the same area room so you will need to only grow like 8 plants max in a side of your room under the 400 and hang a mylar wall(what we do in the 7x7 for flowering) to lower the size do the room the light can defuse into.

sorry wake and bake :confused:

In a 7X7 sqft area, I would use 4 400's rather than 2 1K lights..... you will be able to cover the squared area much more effectively..You can get 3- 3-5 foot area of usable light from a 400 watt light.... and from the multiple lights you will get a better coverage with overlapping light arcs....

your 1 K light will effectively light a 5x5 square or 5 ft circle..... that leaves a LOT of area on the edges with nearly no light......

Just a idea 8):)

Greenhead 1760 said:
Hey HG thanks I read my post and I see where I left out the divider panel in the 7' wide actually the flower room will be like 4' the clone and mother will have a 2 teir system. I watched a great video on Utube gave me some of the ideas for constr. I have no doubt you can help me in the future. Have done quite a bit outdoors but that was when I was a yonker!!!LOL:D Whole new game now! Thanks again to all

Well, that makes a difference. In a 4 x 4 room, I think a 600W would work great. I think that you are also going to like having a separate vegging and flowering space.

Latest posts

Back