Never had this problem!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T-rex

Reaction score
How's my friends at MP?

I planted some "?" seeds (same variety) from a good buddy, that he never got around to plant. Every single seed sprouts in 2-3 days but the seed shell does not release from the sprout, keeping the pre leaves from opening. This leaves some closed for a while unless I use a toothpic to release. I just popped off a shell that had been stuck for 5 days. Is this a strain trait common with some types?

Am I planting too shallow forcing the seedling to sprout before it' ready?
Old seeds?
It's never happened to me before, that's why I'm puzzled.

Prethanks for your advice

T-rex

It could be either or. This is generally found on older seeds that have dried out some. It can also happen if you do not plant the seed deep enough. The best way I have found to deal with this is to put a drop of water on each seed hull to let it soften up some and then very gently try and remove the hull--I use a toothpick, too. If it does not come off, try wetting it with a drop of water again to get it a little softer.

THG pretty much covered it The only time Iv ever seen this happen was seeds were buried to shallow. Only time it happen to me was in seed starter(Peat)Seed starter is very lite. I dont like seed starter myself,,pain in the butt watering.I use Plugs or Regular soil. Never had it happen in Plugs or Dirt.

Yes that is a pain when that happens. I think THG pretty much covered the reasons. That is why I like to germ my seeds using the paper towel method as it keeps constant moisture on the shell so that it softens up better and comes off easier. But even then it still happens sometimes that a stubborn shell gets stiff. The warm water(80f) droplets on the shell has always worked for me. Just do it several times over a day or two before trying to pry it off.

Actually, Hush, that is a big reason that I don't germ in paper towels. I personally had a lot more problems with the hull not dropping off naturally when I did that. I guess to each their own, funny though that we have the opposite experience.

That is interesting, but given that you have germed a few more beans than me, I have probably just been more lucky. I don't know how you did yours but I placed my seeds inside 2 paper towels folded in half and then wet(soaked thoroughly) with 80f water and placed(in a ziplock baggie that is closed halfway to prevent leakage) in a baking crock, placed over my stove to maintain the warmth and darkness for 3-4 days. I did have a couple seeds that the shell was a little tougher to knock off but with a few droplets of warm water helped them come off. :)

They opened with one leaf! Are they just plain old seeds? I feel like I'm wasting time. Thanks again everyone for your advice.

Next time around try scuff your seeds with FINE sand paper, just enough to put SMALL scratches in the seed hull. The scratches become weak points when the seed is dampened and the seed sprout pushes the hull away easier.
I use a small wooden match box lined with fine sand paper, given one or two shakes is enough.
Hope this helps.

Dowg said:
Next time around try scuff your seeds with FINE sand paper, just enough to put SMALL scratches in the seed hull. The scratches become weak points when the seed is dampened and the seed sprout pushes the hull away easier.
I use a small wooden match box lined with fine sand paper, given one or two shakes is enough.
Hope this helps.

Sounds like a good idea, I'll give it a try. thanks Dowg
T

Latest posts

Back