New Grower With a Few Questions.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Merlin_88

WAKE UP
Reaction score
OK so I have a plant about 2-3 weeks old and i have it outdoors in about a 5-6 inch deep pot with a diameter of roughly 8-9 inches. My plant has two little oval shaped leaves that are the "germination" leaves as well as two long leaves and a couple of "pot" looking leaves beginning to grow in the center. So here are my questions:

1. How often should I water my plant?
2. The long leaves that i talked about earlier are starting to turn yellowish around the tips is this due to under-watering,over-watering,nutrient deficiency? The new leaves are lushly green however.
3. We have had an unseasonably cold few nights and i was wondering if I should bring my plant in if it is going to get really cold that night and take it back out in the morning?
4. How long should I wait before I start to fertilize? What type of fertilizer should I use? Is fertilization absolutely necessary?
5. Can I leave my plant in the same pot it is in or will it need to be transplanted into the ground for proper growth?
6. How can I tell if my plant is a male plant? How soon is it possible to tell?
7. If it is male should I still grow it and smoke it?

>Please help me out guys< Thanks

Hi Merlin. Welcome to MP. This is definitely the right place to learn how to grow mj. It's filled with all the information that will help to get you on the right path. Make sure to take advantage of the vast resources on the site before asking questions. It will definitely help you my friend. I wish you the best of luck. Keep us posted. Take care and be safe.

I'm having a hard time trying to figure out what is making my leaves yellow. They are two rounded leaves and the first set of leaves has only two elongated leaves. These are the ones turning yellow around the tips. Is it normal for them to die off? The second set has three leaves and is lushly green. Should I be worried about the yellowing leaves or should I pull them off? I am confused.

It's fine. The first few sets will eventually die off as the plant grows older. Dont be worried. Take care and be safe.

I'll try to get some pics up soon so you guys can let me know what you think. Thanks for the help.

You should make a grow journal so we can follow your progress. Take care and be safe.

Merlin_88 said:
OK so I have a plant about 2-3 weeks old and i have it outdoors in about a 5-6 inch deep pot with a diameter of roughly 8-9 inches. My plant has two little oval shaped leaves that are the "germination" leaves as well as two long leaves and a couple of "pot" looking leaves beginning to grow in the center. So here are my questions:

1. How often should I water my plant?
2. The long leaves that i talked about earlier are starting to turn yellowish around the tips is this due to under-watering,over-watering,nutrient deficiency? The new leaves are lushly green however.
3. We have had an unseasonably cold few nights and i was wondering if I should bring my plant in if it is going to get really cold that night and take it back out in the morning?
4. How long should I wait before I start to fertilize? What type of fertilizer should I use? Is fertilization absolutely necessary?
5. Can I leave my plant in the same pot it is in or will it need to be transplanted into the ground for proper growth?
6. How can I tell if my plant is a male plant? How soon is it possible to tell?
7. If it is male should I still grow it and smoke it?

>Please help me out guys< Thanks

1. Depends on how much rain you get there and how dry the soil is, the temp will be a factor too. Since you have it in a pot you should keep a good eye on it. The ground is a little more forgiving becauroots can stretch and find water.
2. Like smokeybear said the leaves do that its fine, as long as you dont see the newest leaves turning. Its not from under watering, if you do that they just droop really bad.
3. Nah as long as its not getting too far below frost. Say 30 F
4. I would wait till a month old, the type is really up to you do some research and see what people on here recomend. Its not NEEDED if you have good soil. (also dont mix soil with ferts in it"like miracle grow soil's" and other ferts. Better off sticking with one or the other, or at least till the soil has gone for 90 days or whatever it says the ferts in the soil are good for)
5. For a sull size plant you should really get a bigger pot. But it can be done in the one you have now.
6. Pics on this site do a search, its easy to tell a 20-100x mini scope will help also you will need it for harvest at least.
7. UMMM NO

Thanks a lot for the help guys. I now have more seeds germinating and will soon be transplanted for a good harvest I hope.

Really the best advice anyone could give you is to slow down and do way way way more research. You are taking a big risk growing, you should have a firm idea of what you want to get out of your crop, and how to do that before getting the grow going. Do you plan on having these at your house for the whole grow, and if so neighbors, or any workers that may be in the area can be a huge problem plants in a huge pot stick out pretty bad. The more you know about growing the more calculated you can be which means less chance of getting busted. JMHO
Brandon

Ok so i have about 6 germinated seeds planted now along with the one i already have growing. I planted them in those half gallon ice cream buckets with holes in the bottom and rocks at the bottom as well to promote good drainage. I was wondering how old a plant needs to be before it can safely be topped. Also I was wondering if the seeds I just planted need a more stringent watering schedule or if I should just water them like I do my plant which is about once every other day unless its particularly dry. Any comments or feedback will be greatly appreciated.

gottagrow_420 said:
Really the best advice anyone could give you is to slow down and do way way way more research. You are taking a big risk growing, you should have a firm idea of what you want to get out of your crop, and how to do that before getting the grow going. Do you plan on having these at your house for the whole grow, and if so neighbors, or any workers that may be in the area can be a huge problem plants in a huge pot stick out pretty bad. The more you know about growing the more calculated you can be which means less chance of getting busted. JMHO
Brandon

I live in an extremely rural part of North Carolina and I have my plants hidden very well. Once they get bigger I will move them to different places so they wont gather as much attention. I am currently scouting for new places to put my plants once they mature. Thank you for your advice but I dont think I have to worry about anyone finding my plants unless its by helicopter and they dont do that here.

Latest posts

Back