new to hydro--a few snags

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohninWI

Reaction score
I built a hydro unit with 8 mesh 4" mesh pots. It's arranged with 2 in each of 4 Sterilite totes (I think they have about 3 gallons a piece). I have them all plumbed together so that you fill the first from the res, which dumps into the second.... then back to the res. The total volume is roughly 10 gallons. The water pump recircs the nutrient 10 minutes every 2 hours. I have 6" airstones in each.

So, all that, and a 400W HPS--24 hours. I have the clones going but have a few problems. Two of the clones have fan leaves that REALLY curl under on the ends. I'm using 2/3 strength Dutch Masters and DI water. I don't think it ought to be nitrogen deficiency (like in the troubleshooting sticky).

That, and the plants are taking FOREVER to grow. They look healthy, but I'm on almost 10 days to go from rooted clones (about 3") up to the screen, about 10" up. When I grew this very same in soil, they shot right up.

The roots look great--long and pure white, the leaf color is nice and dark green. I was hoping to veg them out fairly quick, into the ScROG screen then flower. Now, I don't know.

hope I doped out how to get photos up here

hydroroot.JPG

leafcurl.JPG

verticalgrowth.JPG

We need more info...what are your PPMs, your pH, and the temps in your room? Do you have good air circulation?

JFYI, it generally takes 6-8 weeks to fill a scrog screen well.

I would check the ph and the room temps. Could be stress from the trimmings

Ph and temps must be correct but from looking at the size of your plants, you need to back off on the nutrients. They need about 1/4 strength at that stage in the game. They do not look healthy. The ram's horn look is from nitrogen overload for sure. Been there a few times myself. I always start out low on the nutes just to ge things going. If your plants are real dark green, they are getting too much food. Even in soil, everyone is so ready to get the nutes on! Get the nutes on! In fox farm soil (when I grow outside in the summer), I don't fertilize for at least a month and my garden plant is good for a bout one elboe a year. I maybe fertilize three times, but I do have a very large container.

Latest posts

Back