NFT Roots hanging into resevoir

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all,

We got a problem (or not?) with our nft system, the water runs all the way down the spreader matt, then goes back into the resevoir through a large slot that allow the water to drain directly below.

our roots have gone over the edge of this and we now have a load of roots dipped in the tank and they grow damn quick.

will this damage my pump which is at the other side? should i pick up the roots and fold them back onto the spreader matt? any suggestions are welcome :)

Shouldn't damage your pump unless it grows into the pump. I'd try lifting them out of the way, they should be fairly flexible. Are all the plants tangled together?

yep all 3 are tangled together on the spreader mat. the whole mat looks like its covered in snow.. but thats the roots lol. i can see some single roots reaching towards my little fish tank pump...

Bubby said:
Shouldn't damage your pump unless it grows into the pump. I'd try lifting them out of the way, they should be fairly flexible. Are all the plants tangled together?

Well the plants themselves arn't tangled, but looking at the roots you wouldnt be able to tell which one was holding a willy wonker golden ticket theres hundreds down there :eek: all weaved together, so the plants and roots cant be moved,

right now if we got the tape measure out and accessed the old thought processes, its clear to see that in the last week, the roots have grown over the edge of the matt, and half way towards the pump. so im starting to see why the manufacturers say "only 2 plants will fit in this NFT system" lol

Im also worried that some of the nute burn me and doc green been seeing is caused by the roots just in the water 24/7..

Just a NFT/DWC hybrid system now. ;) Hydro guys are always fighting with roots getting into everything...the roots will seek out the flow.

Kade or Stoney would have some great advice on this one. I know one thing that will help, hydro shops sell 'pump filter bags' that will keep them out of it. Or you could check the hardware store for a nylon paint strainer...even panty hose would probably work. LOL

lol, ok so stopping them being involved with the pump is fine, but is it healthy for them to litterally sit in the res??

cheers EM

the_riz said:
lol, ok so stopping them being involved with the pump is fine, but is it healthy for them to litterally sit in the res??

cheers EM

Sure...unlike DWC, no airstone needed either. Your recirculating system keeps dissolved oxygen levels high.

cheers man, once again you've managed to put my mind at ease with a simple scentance lol

I have a 4" pipe leading to my res with a 1" hole in the bottom to let water drain freely... roots will keep growing down and out through the hole i keep taking them up and putting them around ina curl like a snake inside the pipe... eventually they tangle and hold themselves up...

However... until I figured this out.... PANTYHOSE! ez root filter fix!

Latest posts

Back