No Link Between Marijuana and Lung Cancer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mal_crane

Reaction score
Press Release: The largest study of its kind has unexpectedly concluded that smoking marijuana, even regularly and heavily, does not lead to lung cancer.

The new findings “were against our expectations,” said Dr. Donald Tashkin, a UCLA pulmonologist who has studied marijuana for 30 years.

“We hypothesized that there would be a positive association between marijuana use and lung cancer and that the association would be more positive with heavier use,” he said. “What we found instead was no association at all, and even a suggestion of some protective effect.”

Federal health and drug enforcement officials have widely used Tashkin’s previous work on marijuana to make the case that the drug is dangerous. Tashkin said that while he still believes marijuana is potentially harmful, its cancer-causing effects appear to be of less concern than previously thought.

Earlier work established that marijuana does contain cancer-causing chemicals as potentially harmful as those in tobacco, he said. However, marijuana also contains the chemical THC, which he said may kill aging cells and keep them from becoming cancerous.

Tashkin’s study, funded by the National Institutes of Health’s National Institute on Drug Abuse, involved 1,200 people in Los Angeles who had lung, neck or head cancer and an additional 1,040 people without cancer matched by age, sex and neighborhood.

They were all asked about their lifetime use of marijuana, tobacco and alcohol. The heaviest marijuana smokers had lit up more than 22,000 times, while moderately heavy usage was defined as smoking 11,000 to 22,000 marijuana cigarettes. Tashkin found that even the very heavy marijuana smokers showed no increased incidence of the three cancers studied.

“This is the largest case-control study ever done, and everyone had to fill out a very extensive questionnaire about marijuana use,” he said. “Bias can creep into any research, but we controlled for as many confounding factors as we could, and so I believe these results have real meaning.”

Tashkin’s group at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA had hypothesized that marijuana would raise the risk of cancer on the basis of earlier small human studies, lab studies of animals and the fact that marijuana users inhale more deeply and generally hold smoke in their lungs longer than tobacco smokers — exposing them to the dangerous chemicals for a longer time. In addition, Tashkin said, previous studies found that marijuana tar has 50 percent higher concentrations of chemicals linked to cancer than tobacco cigarette tar.

While no association between marijuana smoking and cancer was found, the study findings, presented to the American Thoracic Society International Conference this week, did find a 20-fold increase in lung cancer among people who smoked two or more packs of cigarettes a day.

The study was limited to people younger than 60 because those older than that were generally not exposed to marijuana use in their youth, when it is most frequently tried.

Source: WorldPress.com

we all know that there is a guy sorry i forgot his name somewere in flrida he is the longest livin Govorment (experiment) MJ user in the world ( 25 years) on you tube there is video of his speach in court i will try to find it and i will paste the link, its really worth of seeing.

nice guys, thanks for both of those. Anyone in uk might have seen the 20 most dangerous drugs on Horizon last night. So its very interesting to read that!

Single Joint=20 Cigarettes And Huge Lung Cancer Risk: Researchers
Wednesday January 30, 2008
CityNews.ca Staff

Everyone knows that smoking isn't good for you - no matter what's in the cigarette. But a new study out of New Zealand shows those who indulge in even the occasional marijuana joint may be elevating their risk for lung cancer in a dangerous way.

Doctors at the Medical Research Institute of New Zealand have concluded smoking a single joint is equivalent to inhaling the damaging contents of 20 regular tobacco cigarettes. And they're now worried about what they call a potential "epidemic" of lung cancer patients in current and future generations.

It's not the first time research has made a link between smoking pot and the often fatal disease. But it's the first one to so definitively declare the danger and put it so far above any other kind of smoking.

The scientists found cannabis contains twice the level of carcinogens that regular butts do. And the fact joints don't come with actual filters only magnifies the problem. Pot smokers also tend to hold the smoke in longer to enhance the effect of the drug in their systems and they tend to burn their self-made roll-your-owns right down to the end.

"Cannabis smokers end up with five times more carbon monoxide in their bloodstream (than tobacco smokers)," team leader Richard Beasley relates. "There are higher concentrations of carcinogens in cannabis smoke ... what is intriguing to us is there is so little work done on cannabis when there is so much done on tobacco."

The doctors studied 79 lung cancer patients in an attempt to find out what their greatest risk factors were for getting the ailment. The subjects were asked how much they smoked and drank, what their family histories were, what they did for a living and exactly how much of each substance they consumed.

The results were telling. The cancer rates for those who admitted smoking a single joint a day for a decade or two over a five year period soared - even taking regular cigarette use into account.

Many pot advocates have decried this kind of research in the past, arguing it's simply a scare tactic to discourage their use of the product. But the study authors say they're not trying to convey an anti-drug message so much as a pro-health one.

And in a present where the pressure on the health care system is already intense, many are worried about what it may mean going forward.

"In the near future we may see an 'epidemic' of lung cancers connected with this new carcinogen," warns Beasley. "And the future risk probably applies to many other countries, where increasing use of cannabis among young adults and adolescents is becoming a major public health problem."

Source:
http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_19073.aspx

THC......i could of gone on just have read the first artical......i believed it fully....
then you post this!! and now i have to question the first Press release....

i dont care if the first one isnt true, but i would of liked to believe it :(

Yo Ho brouli,:aok:
That was fantastic kiddo, just the thing I wanted to see. I love the out and out truth, and this guys got balls the size of oranges. Federal Gov. Phewwwww, that must have got his blood stirred up ya know.
He really did do a great job, anyone reading your post should take a few out of life and see what it's all about.
Thanks Heaps
smoke in peace
KingKahuuna

That IRV guy is an Awesome speaker, he needs more publicity. Cannabis is the best thing going for everyday treatment of SO Many things, and more people need to understand that.

Well i look at it this way guys and gals. Even if it does cause cancer i'm still smoking because "I LIKE IT"! :hubba:

Also thank you for the reads. ;)

i dontreally care about what goverment got to say on that they **** anyway !!!!!!

i just hope they would let people decide what they wanna do with theyr life, if they would at least let everybody grow 1 or 2 plants and would be legal to have 5-10g in your ciggaret box :) at all time that would be the best thing in the world. hope that will change one day and until then INDOR RULES :)

I would love more than anything for the first one to be true, but I think we all know in our hearts it isn't. Like TBG said, I smoke it because I like it, and am well aware of the health risks associated with smoking it. Just use common sense. Don't do stupid stuff like smoking pipe "hash" when we hit a dry period (Pipe hash = concentrated carcinogens with a nit of THC to dangerously make you think it's a good hit). Listen to your body and what it has to say. If you feel the lungs are a bit rough, give them a break, make a batch of brownies :)

Well, smoking is smoking. I'm a believer in at least using a water pipe if not vaporizer.
But consider
1. Article 1 was a study of 1200 people with cancer and 1040 people without.
2. Article 2 was a study of 79 people with cancer.

BearfootBOB, thanks for the post. I definately have some fault with the second article. You need a lot more than 70 some people to conduct a thorough study.

Ekoostik_Hookah said:
THC......i could of gone on just have read the first artical......i believed it fully....
then you post this!! and now i have to question the first Press release....

i dont care if the first one isnt true, but i would of liked to believe it :(

Question what?? Look its known that a regular cigarette smoker can smoke 2 packs a day on average. the average pot smoker smokes maybe 5 joints a day, maybe more if its medical. so the report is false. i don't believe it and you shouldn't nether. Its a scare tactic. there has been report after report showing how beneficial it is and how harmless it is even when compared to marijuana. he's probably just wanting to make a name for himself. Gov. shouldn't tell me what to put in my body is good or bad until i become a problem to society. its like comparing apples to oranges.

Latest posts

Back