non-jumping springtails

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunakard2000

Reaction score
so i pulled out my 300x microscope to check out these little white things in my soil. first off i did find a few fungus gnat larvae, but not nearly as many as there are springtails. ill try and attach a pic i found online that shows 3 types of springtails next to a penny, the ones i have are on the top, tiny white and no jumping, im a little confused why i still have fungus gnat larvae and springtails after using a whole 16oz bottle of SNS 203 as a soil drench, well not at once, bottle makes 8 gallons of ready to use soil drench and i did 4 waterings using it, spaced out 5 days from eachother... this stuff is supposed to kill the soil insects. so after researching the insects i found that the springtails are harmless to the plant and actually help the soil biology, even still i dont like crap crawling around in my soil. my sour diesal plant is the only one with any insects living in the soil, i checked all the roots organic and fox farm happy frog i got last week and nothing, just the soil in the 7gal smart pot the SD is in. SD is 3weeks from chop and as i said the only thing with bugs, what should i do? i know i need to let the soil dry out more since i soaked the crap outta it just yesterday, im a little worried, so far this year iv delt with a small bout with the borg (spider mites) as well as a little battle with thripes, and now like a month after finally winning against the thripes i get friken springtails and fungus gnat larvae... thats also another weird part... i havnt seen a single flying gnat at all... not even in the yellow sticky trap but with my microscope theres no doubt there are some fungus gnat larvae in the soil.
ooh i also noticed something... they die HELLA FAST out of the soil... i found a little chunk of soil about 2 inches down that had 3 springtails on it, yah know so i could see what they actually are under magnification, yup matches the picture i said to myself after looking for like 30sec at them, they were twitching and riggling around then stopped, on their backs dead... after only 2 or 3 min out of the soil... so they dry out and die very fast, springtailpenny.jpg

Latest posts

Back