Not sure about space inside net pots

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tony8404

Reaction score
Okay I have 5 small plants that have three full size leaves if not more on each plant.

I have them all in one reservoir right now and they seem to be getting crowded!

So tonight I went ahead and changed each plant to its own reservoir or dwc.

I only had 2- 3.5 gallon buckets, 1-5 gallon bucket and 1 Rubbermaid that I am using all five in now.

I have the big net pots which are 6 inchers and I used those three on the three buckets with hydrotron pellets.

I seems to me that this is too big for them now... When I put the plants into the net pots before the hydrotron pellets. its seems like a good half maybe three inches of roots are between the hydrotron pellets inside the net pot which is not getting any water just air...

1. is this going to be a problem?

2. will this create root rot?

3. is this needed so the roots get air and only half of the roots are to be submitted in the water with air pump?

4. should I have just the bottom of the net pot covered in the water?

Before I used to only grow one plant at a time but I had a problem last time where the stem broke from weight and the plant did not make it.

But I am wondering now if three inches of roots between hydrotron clay pellets will be bad as well.

1) No just water from the top a couple times a day until the roots hit the rez

2) No

3 + 4) Yes I place the water level at the same level as the net pots when young or until a good amount of roots have reached the rez. Then I lower it so there is an air gap between roots and nutes. Example 5 gal dwc will only have 3 gallons of nutes in the rez.

I just never paid attention to how far into the net pot I place the rockwool cube. This rockwool cube is not touching the bottom of the net pot. In fact there is about two inches of hydrotron pellets in between the bottom of the rockwool cube to the bottom of the net pot.

the roots are already like 6 inches or longer. I went ahead and cut a small hole in the center of the net pot on its bottom where the roots usually go. Once the hole is made, I get the roots to go through the hole and then with one hand hold the rockwool cube so that the bottom full leaves are not laying ontop of the bucket lid I try to give an inch or two.

But once I hold the cube at the right spot I start with the other hand shoveling in the clay pellets then cover the top of the cubes. I just thought about how there is about two to three inches of clay pellets from the bottom of the cube to the bottom of the net pot which means there is about 2 to 3 inches of roots that are in between the rocks that are not wet.... So this means I have to water at least once to two times a day with regular water to keep the roots wet then??

Yes just for a day or so. I would not have cut the holes in the netpots, the roots will find their way without the hole.

If you have good air bubbles and have the water level at the bottom of the netpot the hydroton will wick the moisture to the roots

Wow, do you think using one of these per bucket is suitable?

Aqua Culture: 20-60 Gallon, Double Outlet Aquarium Air Pump.

I have one of those now on each of my buckets and one of them on the dual container. Before I had all of them on just the one container but they were getting crowded.

I have each pump outlet put onto a tee with one air stone attached. there are two outlet on each pump

----- <---/ Outlet 1
} ---<--/ T / Hose-> --------- <> <---airstone
----- <--/ Outlet 2

Dam I am stoned right now never mind the drawing...

Just want to make sure I have enough air going...

I would use one pump and 2 stones with that size pump

I'm using that pump now,only I ran a line and 6" stone from each outlet. Only I have two pumps; and two buckets,one line from each pump running to separate buckets. That way if I lose a pump I still have air going to each bucket until I can get a repair made

I hope that makes sense,LOL!

Latest posts

Back