Not sure if sick

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pussum

Reaction score
I posted this in my journal yesterday, but I don't think anyone noticed. Anyway, I am not sure if this is a natural occurance or if it is a problem, but yesterday I noticed my larger plants have white "streaks" on them. The best I can describe it is if the plants had a bulgeing vein that turned white or someone shot it with a few strands of white silly string or something, but it is actually part of the plant that has turned white.

I tried snapping a few pics, but the white in the plants seems to be nulled out by the surrounding light and just blends into the plant so it is really un-noticeable. Maybe if it gets more defiend I can take a picture. Like I said though, I am not sure if this is a problem or not but it is worth it to ask.

try google for 'leaf miners'. See if it appears to be similar damage

I looked through a bunch of pictures and really, the lines aren't like that at all. They don't take any strange twist or arcs and don't circle around like something is burrowing. They are relatively straight and not as fat as the lines pictured on the leaves. The color is different as well, think of something like the color of white bird **** and that is the color of the lines. Thin strands of white bird poo.

So I ran home to get a better look at them. The best anology I can come up with is strings of paint, like when you take your paint brush out of the can and a little string of it falls onto something and dries. That is about as good anology as I can figure.

Also, the smaller ones I just started are having major issues. It is way to hot in the box, but I am not sure how to get air out quickly. I have a box fan and an occelating fan in there now pushing air all around. I also cracked open the door just a bit to help get that air out. If adding the other fan doesn't help by the time I get home tonight I am going to cut another large vent hole closer to the bottom of the box and see if that doesn't help. Also I noticed the plants are kind of turning a bit yellow at the ends. I looked in the quickly help guide in the sick plants section and it says it might be a nitrogen defficency and to flush with plain water. Well, all I have been watering these guys with is tap water that I let sit out in the open for about twelve hours before use, so I don't know what it could be. Maybe I need to switch to filtered water? Maybe something isn't getting out of the tap water like it should.

My humidity is also fluctuating so I added a jug of water, a plate of water and bowl of water to the box to see if they don't take the edge off, if not I may have to invest in a humidifyer, but I am not sure if I can get the kind that makes mist or not as it heats the water and I am already having heat problems and I am also not to keen on the whole mist with exposed lightbulbs idea.

White bird poo lines...

Hehe, I've got to say that is one of the most unique descriptions I've read!

Are you talking about lines that go up and down the stem, or lines on the vein pattern of the leaf?

Either can be natural coloration for the strain you have. If it starts looking more intense, or other symptoms appear, let us know.

Are the leaves showing any curling at the tips or sides?

Browning? Yellowing?

Wait man, is that poo from a white bird

or

white poo from any ole bird?

Hahahahaaha, I crack me up!

Stoney Bud said:
Wait man, is that poo from a white bird

or

white poo from any ole bird?

Hahahahaaha, I crack me up!

Ohhh Stoney, your wit is un-rivaled.

haha, I would say that it is white poo from an unhappy bird. It would be racist of me to classify it a color when I don't know what color it was.

Also, yes it flows along the veins of said leafs.

pussum said:
yes it flows along the veins of said leafs.
Have you been using any type of foliar spray?

Are there any other signs of damage?

What strain of weed?

Stoney Bud said:
Have you been using any type of foliar spray?

Are there any other signs of damage?

What strain of weed?

There is no other sign of damage at all. The leaves look fine. No curling or burn marks. They are in MG that feeds for 3 months so I have not been giving them any nutes other than the water I give them. I make sure that the water I give them sits out for at least 12 hours before I water the plants with it to ensure that the chems in the water dissipate as much as possible. I am sure it is a natural occurance but I just wanted to make sure. I will try to take some decent pics tonight if I can capture the "problem" well enough. They are growing great though. Everyday I see a significant change in them so that is a good sign. I hope.

Also, I spray the leaves, but only with the water I feed them with. I put a little in the spray bottle and wet the leaves just a bit. The seeds I am using are just random bag seeds.

I've not seen a healthy plant with white veins before. I'd sure like to see a good pic.

Maybe if you hold a black card or something behind it?

Well I checked on things last night and the white lines seem to be going away. I looked and some just disappeared and the rest were less defined than when they were when I checked on them during lunch.

I have seen these white lines on plants outside before, I just don't know how to describe it or what the technical terminology for it is. I assume it is going away though, so thats good.

well thats great to hear bro. good luck with the grow bro peace

Had a repair man to the house today for the dishwasher on the fritz. Anyway, he told me I have some of the hardest water he has seen in his 22 years of on the job experience. He said the dishwasher wasn't working because it was literally caked with hard water build up. I wonder if these white lines I am seeing on the plants are a result of this hardcore hard water problem I am having? I am going to the store directly after I get out of work today and picking up some cheap filtered water and I am going to be using this for the next few days to see if it will help pick things up because I am noticing that the sprouts have not really grown that much at all in the last three days.

I am wondering if the hard water is reeking havoc with the plants.

Latest posts

Back