NTSB ban on all electronic devices in vehicles

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorCalHal

Reaction score
My brother, a long haul truck driver, just informed me of a new reccomendation by the NTSB (National Transportation Safety Board) to ban all forms of communication in vehicles.
This includes hands free cell phones.

No call, no text, no update behind the wheel: NTSB calls for nationwide ban on PEDs while driving
December 13, 2011

Following today's Board meeting on the 2010 multi-vehicle highway accident in Gray Summit, Missouri, the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) called for the first-ever nationwide ban on driver use of personal electronic devices (PEDs) while operating a motor vehicle.
The safety recommendation specifically calls for the 50 states and the District of Columbia to ban the nonemergency use of portable electronic devices (other than those designed to support the driving task) for all drivers. The safety recommendation also urges use of the NHTSA model of high-visibility enforcement to support these bans and implementation of targeted communication campaigns to inform motorists of the new law and heightened enforcement.
"According to NHTSA, more than 3,000 people lost their lives last year in distraction-related accidents", said Chairman Deborah A.P. Hersman. "It is time for all of us to stand up for safety by turning off electronic devices when driving."
"No call, no text, no update, is worth a human life."

I think anyone talking or texting while driving should be charges with wreckless driving and atempted murder. When ppl are on the phone they do not pay attention to their driving.

What would we do without the Government protecting us all. The gene pool USED to have a way to clean itself out.

Next will be no passengers in your vehicle. We already have laws for reckless driving let them enforce those laws for the people that cannot talk and drive at the same time. Has anyone recently seen what is in the front seat of a LE vehicle? They have more electronic gadgets then ever and always on their cell phones. They can't all be using them for emergency use only.

They still have access to cb radios or are those old fashioned by now?

Budders Keeper said:
What would we do without the Government protecting us all. The gene pool USED to have a way to clean itself out.

No doubt......we coddle the weak way too much.

Budders Keeper said:

When drivers abuse their privilege to drive by doing dangerous things such as drinking, we praise laws protecting us, when they do something EQUALLY as dangerous (as tests have shown), we complain big brother is stepping on our rights when they try to protect us. Personally, I am very much in favor of a law telling those who can't do the ONE thing they MUST do (driving responsibly and carefully) when behind the wheel because they are too busy trying to post a joke on FB with their "smartphone".

Having lost a friend to a distracted driver (lost and looking at a map) when he turned in front of my friend (riding motorcycle)....it's not fun, especially when it could easily be avoided by simply pulling over if you must read/text/talk etc.

Hamster Lewis said:
No doubt......we coddle the weak way too much.

I don't mind people killing themselves foolishly, but you're a target as well by their stupidity, is this ok with you??

pcduck said:
Next will be no passengers in your vehicle. We already have laws for reckless driving let them enforce those laws for the people that cannot talk and drive at the same time. Has anyone recently seen what is in the front seat of a LE vehicle? They have more electronic gadgets then ever and always on their cell phones. They can't all be using them for emergency use only.

Because some do it, it's ok for others?? These people have been trained in advanced driving skills...most of us citizen drivers haven't.

especially when it could easily be avoided by simply pulling over if you must read/text/talk etc.

I guess you do not have kids or friends or drink coffee/water/soda while driving?

These people have been trained in advanced driving skills

A distraction is a distraction. Unless they can keep one eye on the road and the other eye on their computer plus their thoughts always maintained on driving. They have not been schooled on this.

Tests have shown these activities, while mildly distracting, are nowhere near as bad as drinking and driving...and using a cell phone has been proven to be just that! A huge difference, imho

Not knowing exactly what the train you for, I can't say, but I'd be willing to bet they're training them for more and more situations. And yes, I guess I can say they are trained to use electronic devices, they're trained how to call in emergencies while in chase and such. So, yes, they are trained for this imho.

I agree with it, Here in Ontario Canada, you can use hands free all you want but holding a cell phone or texting while driving is $150.00 fine. i see people on their phones constantly, its not inforced very well.

And you cant smoke a ciggerette in a car with a person under the age of 16 in the vehicle.

Tests have shown these activities, while mildly distracting, are nowhere near as bad as drinking and driving...and using a cell phone has been proven to be just that

I would like to see these tests. But like I said a distraction is a distraction and what is good for the goose should be good for the gander.

on my local news this very moment, three teens are being extracted from a subaru lodged under the rear end of a school bus with 21 kids on board...all three deceased...guess what the driver was doing!?!

edit>>> two teens. brother and sister...

My straight up STAND BY IT opinion. I can talk on a phone, holding it in one hand, have a coffee between the legs, smoke in other hand, WHILE driving a stick shift, better than many people I see on the road. Comparing it to drunk driving is absurd. Chemically altering ones self is different than being a concious person doing multiple things at once safely.
I have literally told drivers to pull over, sitting in the passenger seat because they couldn't drive and talk to me without turning sideways. Some people just suck, and shouldn't be allowed to drive regardless. You have to have some kind of brain to drive. Coddling the idiots is not the answer.

pcduck said:
I would like to see these tests. But like I said a distraction is a distraction and what is good for the goose should be good for the gander.

I should have said studies, of course, and I believe the NTSB has all the info. I say I believe because it's been awhile since I've been active in the safety issues (loss of biker friend made me an activist for quite awhile, I still buy up hundreds of bike helmets and give to needy kids...well, gave only 107 last year in comparison to years past). If not there, I'd search drunk driving/texting studies or whatever. Wish I still had all this info on my computer in front of me. Believe the study was done in the last couple of years, maybe even last year...no, more likely 2 years ago, but not sure.

ston-loc said:
My straight up STAND BY IT opinion. I can talk on a phone, holding it in one hand, have a coffee between the legs, smoke in other hand, WHILE driving a stick shift, better than many people I see on the road. Comparing it to drunk driving is absurd. Chemically altering ones self is different than being a concious person doing multiple things at once safely.
I have literally told drivers to pull over, sitting in the passenger seat because they couldn't drive and talk to me without turning sideways. Some people just suck, and shouldn't be allowed to drive regardless. You have to have some kind of brain to drive. Coddling the idiots is not the answer.

And that's great Ston, you're well above the norm, more an exception, it appears! I'm sure you've seen the commercial where the driver is distracted by the radio, food, make-up etc (ins commercial)....that's the normal driver. Now, imagine a lady driver, wanting to put on make-up, needing her hair done and ooops, the text beep just went. Imagine the guy too intent on the football game on his smartphone to be paying attention to his surroundings. Wow, look out....I've been hit by the lady applying make-up, by the lady reading a book and almost hit by the lady too busy programming an address into her GPS (all women and sorry ladies, these are my honest experiences) Adding in yet another danger to driving...sad.

Driving is a privilege, not a right, and not to be taken lightly! Too many people these days are too casual in their driving. People think they can do several things while driving (multitasking) when in reality, when driving, that's ALL you should be doing! It takes a lot to keep yourself, your fellow drivers and even pedestrians safe, it's not just an activity, it's life and death!

Irish said:
on my local news this very moment, three teens are being extracted from a subaru lodged under the rear end of a school bus with 21 kids on board...all three deceased...guess what the driver was doing!?!

edit>>> two teens. brother and sister...

Yes, tragic!! I wonder, how do those who feel people should be allowed to do whatever they desire while driving feel about the bans NTSB put in place on pilots and train engineers?? And, why do you suppose they put them in place?? And, think about this, the train is even on tracks! And, not only pilots, by air traffic controllers as well. lol....lots of ands....

Latest posts

Back