Nutrients

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you want to completely mix all components of what you're feeding prior to adding to the res...
I understand that…what I’m asking if you just mix thoroughly and then add to your reservoir or…mix thoroughly and let it sit and completely dissolve and then add it to your reservoir. The nutes I use have a lot of small water soluble particles I’ve noticed and they don’t dissolve immediately. I tested it in a cup. Water is really cloudy with a lot of particles floating when I first add it and then after mixing and letting sit for about an hr it’s crystal clear.

So I’m just curious which way you guys do it.

I don't use crystals but liquid so I mix and use...I'd wait until everything has dissolved and let it rest to be safe before adding it...check the pH before and after the rest, I'd be curious as to the difference, if any...

I don't use crystals but liquid so I mix and use...I'd wait until everything has dissolved and let it rest to be safe before adding it...check the pH before and after the rest, I'd be curious as to the difference, if any...
I use liquid fert as well but there are just a bunch of tiny particles. But yes, that makes sense to let it completely dissolve and clear up then add it. I normally just refill reservoir, mix nutes based on how many gallons I pour in and then add nutes and stir a bit. I actually never noticed there were that many undissolved solids in there which brought forth the question. I know my nutes usually lower ph so after adding I correct and forget. But yes. Measuring ph after rest would be worth checking though I don’t think it’d change much. I’d be much more interested in the ppm measurements after rest…too bad I don’t have a ppm meter.

I don't know it what I'm going to say has any scientific data to support it but I like to do the final mix of my solution with a large spiral paint stir device on a battery powered drill...it sure appears to super oxygenate the water and that can't be half bad...how often do you change your nutes...I grow in BX but am on my second DWC grow, just playing to see what I can do...

I don't know it what I'm going to say has any scientific data to support it but I like to do the final mix of my solution with a large spiral paint stir device on a battery powered drill...it sure appears to super oxygenate the water and that can't be half bad...how often do you change your nutes...I grow in BX but am on my second DWC grow, just playing to see what I can do...
I usually feed once every week. Like I said I don’t have a ppm meter so I honestly don’t know what the uptake of my plant is. All I know is she drinks at least 3 gallons per week so I just assume she’s eating good. I really need to get a meter. This will be her last feeding before flush as she is close. I’m going to mix them tonight and let it sit overnight and add tomorrow. Never done that before. Going to experiment.

The GH nutes I use are already liquid. You don't need to wait for them to dissolve. FF nutes contain things that do not dissolve quickly or at all. Letting that sit would be counter productive. I would dump it in as soon as I stirred it. Hopefully, the air pump will keep the added particles suspended.

If you add Calcium Nitrate and Magnesium Sulfate, add the MgSO4 first which dissolves almost immediately. Then mix the Calcium Nitrate in a jar of water before pouring it in. No reason in either case to wait for anything to dissolve.

Some Calcium Nitrate has impurities that don't dissolve quickly and ends up floating on top of the water. I have used that in a DWC with no issues, but it did make the water look ugly.

The GH nutes I use are already liquid. You don't need to wait for them to dissolve. FF nutes contain things that do not dissolve quickly or at all. Letting that sit would be counter productive. I would dump it in as soon as I stirred it. Hopefully, the air pump will keep the added particles suspended.

If you add Calcium Nitrate and Magnesium Sulfate, add the MgSO4 first which dissolves almost immediately. Then mix the Calcium Nitrate in a jar of water before pouring it in. No reason in either case to wait for anything to dissolve.

Some Calcium Nitrate has impurities that don't dissolve quickly and ends up floating on top of the water. I have used that in a DWC with no issues, but it did make the water look ugly.
Duly noted

Latest posts

Back