OH,OH Some kind of problem!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T-rex

Reaction score
Since this is my 1st grow I'm not experienced with any plant problems until now. When I was rearranging the plants in the tent, I noticed that only on the largest plant that the top 2-3 layers of leaves are yellow with green veins. I've always adjusted the PH to 6.3 which is recomended by the HG nutes I'm using. I started also using Fox Farms Big Bloom which would raise the PH so I would use a little distilled white vinegar to lower it to 6.3. By doing some reading it sounds to me like an Iron definiency or it's being locked out from too high of PH. Or maybe I'm way off base! Also I had to raise the light again, due to this plant being only 2 inches away from the air cooled hood. I doubt being too close is the problem as I can hold my hand for minutes at 1 1/2" away, never too hot. I hope you guys can HELP!
I was thinking that possibly the vinegar maybe lowered the PH but didn't keep it there. Please look at the pics and help me correct this.

Thanks so much,
T-rex

P1010002.JPG

P1010003.JPG

Happy Holidays T!

I'm not sure what that is but I think it's a good thing you backed away from that light. No matter HOW cool things are I dunno about having your light 2" from the plant.... Do you have a 600w hps? It sure could have caused a bit of heat stress imo... Anythings possible but I really doubt if it's a nutrient lock out situation and it would be very odd to have nitrogen def on ONLY the top leaves NEAR the light...;) Most of my nitrogen def yellowing starts at the bottom of the plant with the oldest fan leaves first... hmmm... Check out this pic of heat stress:

hXXp://www.marijuana-seeds.net/Thanks/ThankYou.htm

Hmmmm.... i think so! No worries, T.... she'll be fine if you keep her 6-8" away.... consider studying up on pruning methods and LST to put more buds closer to maximum light exposure in future grows. It may not be heat stress... maybe read thru the trouble guides some more....

Have a good one!

Peace!:cool:

Morning REX..

Rex remember on a cloudy day we still get sun burnt... so it could be IR heat hurting your ladies... not the drect eat from the lamp itself...
your doing soil right... cant remember.. heheh..
and your into flower.. im not familar with your nutes ut it loks like you have nute burn dude.. Nitrogen.. i would say... if you have a grow micro and bloom set up with your nutes stop givving the grow.. and just give the micro and bloom... i have to do this.. the micro and bloom contain lil amounts of N too.. if not ... i would back off a lil on the N... some ferts and higher heats will cause burning with in the plant.. but once again im not familar with your nutes... im using GH 3 part love it... so do the plants....
try to keep your ph a lil higher on the 6.5 side if your in soil dude.. and no worried..
i cant see it being a def in N... but an over dose in N for sure..
with the vin... get rid of it... a citris would be better and more stable...
there are ph ups and downs one can buy that are organic..
i hope this helps ya man
let me know.. im sure other will come in and say there part...
12-18" for you 600w REX... i push my 400W down to 9" and alot of times IR heat gets me... cus like you i can pu my hand on the tube and theres no heat... but there is IR heat.. just somethin to think about.. look into..
heat and Nitrogen though would be my frst 2 starting points... they could have wrked together or alone...
take care rex .. play safe..
LH

Thanks Lefty and DOS,
You both have given me something to start with. I'm going to flush them and test the runoff to see what's happening soilwise. I already raised the 600w lamp. In one of the grow articles on this site the symptoms sound like iron def. due to nute lockout from too high PH. I'll let you know what I figure out. By the way, the guy at the hydro store said lemon juice is a super ph lowering agent.

Thanks.

t-rex

T-rex said:
Thanks Lefty and DOS,
You both have given me something to start with. I'm going to flush them and test the runoff to see what's happening soilwise. I already raised the 600w lamp. In one of the grow articles on this site the symptoms sound like iron def. due to nute lockout from too high PH. I'll let you know what I figure out. By the way, the guy at the hydro store said lemon juice is a super ph lowering agent.

Thanks.

t-rex

cool..REX..
also 6.5 is the sweet spot for soil.. so your not to high REX..
... also you must remember that viniger isnt that consistant... does the trick for the day maybe the hour or two.. .. the best to yas man
play safe..
LH

are they in big enough pots are you sure they arent root bound? that light does seem awful close.

2Dog said:
are they in big enough pots are you sure they arent root bound? that light does seem awful close.

Their in 5 gal pots, so I doubt their rootbound. I backed the 600w light off them to 12/18" depending on the plant.

T-rex

Most issues like these are pH related...

that's pretty much the long and short of it...

how's everything lookin?

cmd420 said:
Most issues like these are pH related...

that's pretty much the long and short of it...

how's everything lookin?

All the plants look great, It was just this 1 plant which is 6-8" taller than the rest. It was very close to the 600w hps for days which as the guys suggested was IR burn. All plants were nuted the same, just this one was affected. I'm going to post some pics in the grow journal.

Thanks,
T-rex

Rex remember on a cloudy day we still get sun burnt... so it could be IR heat hurting your ladies... not the drect eat from the lamp itself...

Just nitpicking because I can but ALL heat put off from a lamp is IR heat. And what does you and me getting a sunburn have to do with plants under indoor lighting? Some of the comparisons on these boards are hilarious lol.

Tater said:
Just nitpicking because I can but ALL heat put off from a lamp is IR heat. And what does you and me getting a sunburn have to do with plants under indoor lighting? Some of the comparisons on these boards are hilarious lol.

lol because the plant is 2 inches away from a 600 hid light and just cuz its not hot on ur hand doesnt mean its not gonna burn the plant! just cuz its cloudy and cool doesnt mean we wont get a sunburn, i got you LEFTHAND!
it makes sense but i do beleive this is a ZINC related deficiency. the top leafs would have burnt tips if it was a heat related problem! look at the pic below it is looking exactly like the pic above! ZINC

Zinc

Zinc plays a roll in the same enzyme functions as manganese and magnesium. More than eighty enzymes contain tightly bound zinc essential for their function. Zinc participates in chlorophyll formation and helps prevent chlorophyll destruction. Carbonic anhydrate has been found to be specifically activated by zinc.
Zinc Deficiencies
Deficiencies appear as chlorosis in the inter-veinal areas of new leaves producing a banding appearance as seen in figure 18. This may be accompany reduction of leaf size and a shortening between internodes. Leaf margins are often distorted or wrinkled. Branch terminals of fruit will die back in severe cases.
Also gets locked out due to high pH. Zn, Fe, and Mn deficiencies often occur together, and are usually from a high pH. Don't overdo the micro-nutrients- lower the pH if that's the problem so the nutrients become available. Foliar feed if the plant looks real bad. Use chelated zinc. Zinc deficiency produces "little leaf" in many species, especially woody ones; the younger leaves are distinctly smaller than normal. Zinc defeciency may also produce "rosetting"; the stem fails to elongate behind the growing tip, so that the terminal leaves become tightly bunched.

ZINC TOXICITY
-Excess Zinc is extremely toxic and will cause rapid death. Excess zinc interferes with iron causing chlorosis from iron deficiency. Excess will cause sensitive plants to become chlorotic.

zinc.jpg

T-rex said:
All the plants look great, It was just this 1 plant which is 6-8" taller than the rest. It was very close to the 600w hps for days which as the guys suggested was IR burn. All plants were nuted the same, just this one was affected. I'm going to post some pics in the grow journal.

Thanks,
T-rex

If all other factors are equal (lighting, nutes, airflow) between plants, then you might just chalk it up to the differences that are inherent in all living things...

not a great answer, I know

:)

Well, after moving light up and feeding with a slightly lower PH, everything is almost normal.

Thanks guys,
T-rex

Latest posts

Back