One big grow, or several small grows for the year?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Type_S150

Reaction score
Decisions, decisions. What is your guys's opinions? I want to grow enough medicine for me and my friends for the year, but cant decide if it would be safer to just do one big grow, or several small ones. The thing about one big grow (under 99 plants) is that it would seem like it would be hard to bust only because they generally have to build a case against you, get a warrant, etc and that all takes time. Most busts I have seen are well over year long investigations. There is a good chance by that time you could be totally done with the grow and get rid of any evedence. If you do get cought though, I am sure you will do some time. However with a small grow, maybe they just raid you and dont ever charge you with anything (which I have seen many times) What do you guys think?

I think it depends on your state laws. Some go by plant count. others by wieght.
if plant count growing 4-5 big ones would be better, if by wieght smaller plants in a SOG would be better....depends on your laws.
check out norml.org and do lil research. Always make informed decision. ;)

Mutt said:
I think it depends on your state laws. Some go by plant count. others by wieght.
if plant count growing 4-5 big ones would be better, if by wieght smaller plants in a SOG would be better....depends on your laws.
check out norml.org and do lil research. Always make informed decision. ;)
I have been on there already. I can only have 6 according to where I live, which to me is not enough. Not to mention I would be breaking federal law anyways by having any, that said, what do you think?

it's your call man, i mean there are a lot of factors. Do want to just do seed starts or run a few females in veg and clone. Perpetual growing is for me. haveing a steady supply in different phases. veg flower harvest and curing around the year means no shortage. Also by keeping it smaller scale easier to control. big ops gotta lot more ventilation and odor control that needs to be dealt with. Along with heavy spike in electrical.
To me the biggies are more risky than a smaller perpetual grow.
I seen one grow few years back. 4 rooms. runnin about 4-5 Kw. he was a nervous wreck 1 month before harvest. meter spinnin like mad. he pulled it off...but never did it again. hell I was a nervous wreck while i was there.
So gotta work within your own comfort level.

Great advice. I would have been scared too, lol. Can you tell me about how many you grow?

I grow for me myself n I. I'll catch anyone a buzz, but don't sell. I run about 2 ounces every 2 months. I don't smoke a lot. mainly for sleep and recreation. mainly insomnia. I keep my plant count under the state mark. can get caught on first offense with 5 or under and not serve time...just probation. So I keep that in account. I grow em small. have grown a few monsters years ago....but gave up the guerrilla growin. too paranoid that and when things went wrong I was screwed.
Good luck man. I'll PM ya a few links to how some peeps out there set up a large op.

Just dont grow over 99 and you will be fine. I think more at a time is better. If you do little grows all year long its just more headaches than necessary. I like to grow sog when possible.

I'd say, spread them out. too many is too much of a risk, although it all can lead to jail time.
they will look at more plants, and love to raid a big crop, getting publicity for them etc. I'd say smaller crops in intervals.

One thing I like about a smaller grow is if I were to get caught it would seem like it would be easier to convince a jury that I was growing for personal use. Anyone familiar with how much time you are looking at for under 100 plants? Also, just so people dont get confused that 100 plant rule is supposed to be over a one year time period, not just for a single grow. So 2 grows of 60 or more within one year=over 100 plants according to the Feds.

well the one simple thing you have to look at how much do you need every 2months and base your grow around that.
Takes 1-1 1/2 months to veg and find a mom. Then you root the clones. no veg period really required already mature. So every two months you could be harvesting on a regular basis.
Check out on pot-tv website "mr. green: I grow chronic" teach ya how to set up a perpetual grow and yied a 1/4 lb + every 2 months. ;)
it's an hour n half show http://www.pot-tv.net/archive/shows/pottvshowse-2993.html

Mutt said:
well the one simple thing you have to look at how much do you need every 2months and base your grow around that.
Takes 1-1 1/2 months to veg and find a mom. Then you root the clones. no veg period really required already mature. So every two months you could be harvesting on a regular basis.
Check out on pot-tv website "mr. green: I grow chronic" teach ya how to set up a perpetual grow and yied a 1/4 lb + every 2 months. ;)
it's an hour n half show http://www.pot-tv.net/archive/shows/pottvshowse-2993.html
Thanks I will check that out when I get home. What happens to the plant after you harvest it, does it regrow, or do you plant more?

Type_S150 said:
Thanks I will check that out when I get home. What happens to the plant after you harvest it, does it regrow, or do you plant more?

get a grow under your belt first....then get into revegging and things. ;)
but for the most part after you harvest time to go again. Thats why many of us use clones. much easier.

well with getting a just under 2 a light thats a lot of smoke for any 1 , with 4 1000w hps you can get 30 a year and thats averages, so you do the math. and that samll no 1 can catch you done right , if you go big then stealing power is the hard part

in what city or country can you grow 99 plants and it only cost you a year?

In Ca you cant legally grow 99, but if you go over 99 then its a federal crime. PRISON! Where Im at I can have a 100 sq ft canopy. Which in a SOG is about 65 usually. IMO

Latest posts

Back