opinion on soil....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

North Fork Hermit

try'n to stop time.......
Reaction score
Given the choice would you chose
1) Fox Farm happy frog
2) Fox Farm ocean forest
I see differing opinions on nutes, am I correct in assuming that the Frog soil is nute free while the opposite is true of the Ocean. If this is so, should you start with Frog and then transplant to Ocean? Or am I being a bit too picky?

I use FF light warrior for seedlings and fresh clones, and the repot it in FF ocean forest/light warrior mix, (2/1) I've never used the Happy Frog, but I think it must have some nutes, cause they make a bunch of different types of Happ Frog, for different plants.

I use Miracle Grow Seed starting Mix...it's cheap, I can get it locally at Home Depot and it has no added nutrients or time release fertilizer like the other MG soils....

Happy frrog has no added nutes. Im currently using them on a few plants, and im uisng ocean forest on the other two.

Ifd i had the option i would start seedlings off in happy frog then repot into oceean forest. My clones seeemed to do fine when i put them straight into the ocean forest.
I have experience good healthy growth with the ocean forest without really feeding any nutes so far(in veg)

I have experienced some nute and ph issues when using the happy frog. Because there are zero added nutes in the frog mix, it is required that u add ur own nutes, and i use fox farm nutes. The hydro store dude told me that becuase it is all organic based, that the soil has a tendancy to fluctuate in PH levels as the organic matter breaks down over time.

Oh, my bad those were happy frog fertilizers that are for all kinds of different plants. I've never used the soil. But, yeah with the FFOF I don't need to add any nutes, unless I do an extended veg time. This grow I ended up doing 2 feedings at the end of veg, but I went with an 8 week veg this time.

The reason I start with the Light warrior is because it is for seed starting, and clones, has alot of mycorrhizae fungi, and is great for root developement. Also I have found the FFOF to be too hot for some strains at first, that is my reason for cutting it with the FFLW

Currently I'm sprouting seeds with 50% seed starter mix from E.B. Stone and 50% FFOF soil. Plus, I'm trying some in 100% seed starter mix. I imagine that since the seed starter mix has few nutrients, I'll have to feed sooner than if I had used FFOF in the mix. FFOF seems a bit strong for germinating and growing seedlings; some make and some don't.

Also, when I transplant, I'm going to use FFOF soil again, but this time I'm going to add a bit of perlite. It already has perlite in it, but I would like better drainage.

I add to my FFOF also. I add a little dolomite lime, and perlite...I also use lava rocks at the bottom probably 3" or so of the pots (5gl) I agree with you the stuff right out of the bag is good, but a few aditives helps!

Latest posts

Back