Opioions Needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phatpharmer

Growin A Lifestyle
Reaction score
Hi guys Im just trying to get my veg lighting figured out Im thinking of a couple options Ill run them by you and you can let me no what you think, T5's r kind of new to me so I dont no how to treat them are they a High Intesity light I mean the 54w 1s obvioulsy or are they just a higher output fluorescent?

Anyway heres my two options 1st a 4 bank of t5s 54w 20000 lumens or
#2 8 bank of 40w t12s 26000 lumens?

I no as far as normal fluorescents that im used to such as t8 and t12 they dont get the penetration I normally like but the t5s like i said dont have any exsprience with them.

I no cost of electricity goes in the t5 direction but Im not to worried about that more about penetration difference, thanks guys.

PS. The space is 2x4 8sq/ft I wanted 32000 lumens but this will have to do for now:)

Phatpharmer:hubba:

why not a 8 bank of T5 for 40,000 lumens?
you have the perfect size room for a T5 fixture.

they are just a higher output fluorescent....... put them within a couple inches of your plants....... not a whole lot of penetration after the first foot...... they are the best veg lights out there IMHO.

Eventually Im just going for a 600w Digital MH but those are th 2 option I have at my disposal right now, Mayb i should think about the 8 bank of t5's what the penetration like compared to MH or HPS I no with t8s and t12s theres no compareson, 20000 lumens of t12s gets you no where the pentration 20000 lumens a MH gets.Do the t5s really compare?Thx

Phatpharmer

I use a bank of 8 lights...... puts out some heat though...... keep a couple 6 inch fans blowing up at the lights all the time.

oh yeah...... the fans i use come from wally world...... massey name brand..... cost 5-6 bucks apiece...... I have 3 that have been running for about a year straight. good luck..... be safe

phatpharmer said:
Eventually Im just going for a 600w Digital MH but those are th 2 option I have at my disposal right now, Mayb i should think about the 8 bank of t5's what the penetration like compared to MH or HPS I no with t8s and t12s theres no compareson, 20000 lumens of t12s gets you no where the pentration 20000 lumens a MH gets.Do the t5s really compare?Thx

Phatpharmer

I've vegged to 3' without any trouble...many times lol! All I use for vegging.

I also feel HO T5's are the best lights for veg....been using them in my veg tent for quite a while now with real good results. I wldnt even think of going back to vegging with HPS or MH. I wld go with the 8 bulb fixture if you hve the room and cash. I put the lights right down on my plants and veg to 2-2.5 feet regularly with no problems. Jmo

Hands down, the T5s. I run a 4' 4 tube T5 in a 2 x 4 space just fine. Every now and then I think about getting a 2 or 4 tube fixture to augment what I have, but my veggy growth is good, so I always find other uses for my money.

On a side note, I use T12s to start veggies and flowers inside since we have such a short growing season. Where did you find 40W T12s that put out 3250 lumens?

Thanks guys, Ill probbaly go with the 8 bank of t5's maybe two lol

HempGoddess I didnt think they made t12's over 32w but when I was at Canadian tire here in Canada they had GE 40w fluorescent cool tubes rated 3250 lumens they had 40w philips rated 3000 lumens both 48"

Phatpharmer

T12's FTW, especially if you already have a shoplight or two laying around. With the 40w 3000+ lumen bulbs as always (not the plant/aquarium type) I think they used to be called designer deluxe.
I don't need my mothers growing like gangbusters. Get good woody stems and perfect internodal spacing for cloning with the T12's, provided the plants aren't three feet tall.

Alternatively though I sometimes wish I had a lower lumen MH, just for the ease of hanging as opposed to 3-4 banks of 4' T12's.

deepspacelaboratories said:
T12's FTW, especially if you already have a shoplight or two laying around. With the 40w 3000+ lumen bulbs as always (not the plant/aquarium type) I think they used to be called designer deluxe.
I don't need my mothers growing like gangbusters. Get good woody stems and perfect internodal spacing for cloning with the T12's, provided the plants aren't three feet tall.

Alternatively though I sometimes wish I had a lower lumen MH, just for the ease of hanging as opposed to 3-4 banks of 4' T12's.

:confused:

Latest posts

Back