Paranoid stoner question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
godspeedsuckah said:
I don't think they can just bust in your door. They woudl need a warrant and be 100% convinced beyond a doubt that you are harboring that person. So, hopefully nobody you know is in prison and planning to escape.

Nope I don't hang out with felons or know anyone in prison. I'm actually a very solid upstanding citizen and if you knew me in real life you'd never guess I was a stoner.

But in the case I was referring to, no one was harboring the fugitive....leo thought he had gotten into someone's house (unbeknownst to the homeowner) to hideout. Thats why they were able to enter homes without a warrant....they were protecting society by trying to nab this armed and dangerous fugitive.

Anyway I did find out the answer to this question from a lawyer friend of mine. He said if you INVITE the cops in, they can bust you for anything they see that is "in plain view" (which according to him is subject to interpretation). But if they enter without your consent and without a warrant (as in the case where they entered homes to search for the fugitive) they can't bust you for anything. So even if they found a grow room with 1000 plants, they couldn't prosecute you (he also said the laws vary by state).

HippyInEngland said:
Elvis

Learn to relax, your in this bracket, its a bad place to be but not escapable :)

Change the xx to tt

hxxp://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/412061.stm

LMAO, Hippy!

But hey, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean everyone's NOT out to get you... ;)

Elvis,

This is a typical situation, and to give proper advice, i would really need all the facts surroudning the laws of your area. Since you did not include yours, i will go off what i know in my own bedrock!

First of all, just because you call the law, doesnt mean they have a right to snoop wherever they choose. If you called them complaining about your property in threat, they can only search that area of your property. Like if u called saying you see someone snooping on the outisde of your fence. They have no reason to enter your residence, you didnt complain about the inside. Even if you do call them complaining about a robbery, there is still no reason to fret. This is not CSI, they are not gonna come out and dust for prints and check for DNA. They are gonna take a report, a report can be written outside, and doesnt mean they must enter the house. All that has to go on record was that you were robbed, and the report has to say just that. If you would like to replace any of the property, i suggest opening a claim with your home/renter's insurance company. When you send in the claim form, send it in with a copy of the report saying you were robbed, receipts showing that you owned the missing property, and pictures of any part of the house which is of any concern to them.

YOU PEOPLE FORGET! JUST BECAUSE YOU ASK FOR THEIR HELP, OR THEY ARE AT YOUR RESIDENCE, DOESNT MEAN THEY'RE LAWFULLY ALLOWED TO ENTER!

Take charge of the situation, when they knock, answer the door, but crack it only enough for them to see you and you to see them. If they ask if they can come inside, tell them that you are going to have to decline their entry. Then proceed to tell them you are frickin naked behind the door, and need to go change, and if they would wait on the sidewalk at the foot of the driveway, that you will be there in a few seconds!

It's as easy as that! They are not given the right to search or seizure without a warrant, ESPECIALLY OUR HOMES! Even so, a legitimate warrant has the areas of the property which are allowed to be searched, if they search/seize property outside of that warrant, improper search and seizure!

Also, one last thing, keep in mind in most states LEO's are public servants. This means their job is under constant scrutiny. What this means for you is, you can have a camcorder right in their face without having to ask permission. Record everything if they are giving you attitude, take pics of them like they were britney spears shaving their head and youre the newest paparazzi on the block! This will make them nervous and most will not hassle with the possibility of being put on administrative suspension while a case is decided in court about improper search, discrimination, stereotyping, etc.., which could take months!

All of you have more on your side than you think! Be wise, know your laws that way you cant have a shroud pulled over your eyes and made a fool!

Take care everyone!

Nova

elvis said:
But in the case I was referring to, no one was harboring the fugitive....leo thought he had gotten into someone's house (unbeknownst to the homeowner) to hideout. Thats why they were able to enter homes without a warrant....they were protecting society by trying to nab this armed and dangerous fugitive.
Personally, i would simply throw a quick grin on my face and have me a little chuckle.

I would tell them, that there is no reason to come inside. Your best friend SigSauer P229 says they arent in the house, and if they are, they will be very unhappy when leaving. Not to mention the 175lbs English Mastiff that awaits them before they even meet your friend Sig. So jusr reassure them that the inside is taken care of, but you would be more than happy to go around and unlock the gate for them to survey the outside of the property. Unless they have bonafide proof that he is inside your residence, then ya let them in, cuz like your friend said "the plain view" law comes into play. They are there hunting for a someone running, not your grow. The "plain view" law also applies to vehicles, they cant just start opening up bags in your car, in has to be in plain view of sight!

Edu-ma-cate yourselves! Remember that old expression "knowledge is power"?

Hahaha! :D

Really, if you show them that you have the control, they will fly with it and respect it.

Nova said:
Elvis,

This is a typical situation, and to give proper advice, i would really need all the facts surroudning the laws of your area. Since you did not include yours, i will go off what i know in my own bedrock!

First of all, just because you call the law, doesnt mean they have a right to snoop wherever they choose. If you called them complaining about your property in threat, they can only search that area of your property. Like if u called saying you see someone snooping on the outisde of your fence. They have no reason to enter your residence, you didnt complain about the inside. Even if you do call them complaining about a robbery, there is still no reason to fret. This is not CSI, they are not gonna come out and dust for prints and check for DNA. They are gonna take a report, a report can be written outside, and doesnt mean they must enter the house. All that has to go on record was that you were robbed, and the report has to say just that. If you would like to replace any of the property, i suggest opening a claim with your home/renter's insurance company. When you send in the claim form, send it in with a copy of the report saying you were robbed, receipts showing that you owned the missing property, and pictures of any part of the house which is of any concern to them.

YOU PEOPLE FORGET! JUST BECAUSE YOU ASK FOR THEIR HELP, OR THEY ARE AT YOUR RESIDENCE, DOESNT MEAN THEY'RE LAWFULLY ALLOWED TO ENTER!

Take charge of the situation, when they knock, answer the door, but crack it only enough for them to see you and you to see them. If they ask if they can come inside, tell them that you are going to have to decline their entry. Then proceed to tell them you are frickin naked behind the door, and need to go change, and if they would wait on the sidewalk at the foot of the driveway, that you will be there in a few seconds!

It's as easy as that! They are not given the right to search or seizure without a warrant, ESPECIALLY OUR HOMES! Even so, a legitimate warrant has the areas of the property which are allowed to be searched, if they search/seize property outside of that warrant, improper search and seizure!

Also, one last thing, keep in mind in most states LEO's are public servants. This means their job is under constant scrutiny. What this means for you is, you can have a camcorder right in their face without having to ask permission. Record everything if they are giving you attitude, take pics of them like they were britney spears shaving their head and youre the newest paparazzi on the block! This will make them nervous and most will not hassle with the possibility of being put on administrative suspension while a case is decided in court about improper search, discrimination, stereotyping, etc.., which could take months!

All of you have more on your side than you think! Be wise, know your laws that way you cant have a shroud pulled over your eyes and made a fool!

Take care everyone!

Nova

Great advice, but it takes a lot of time and money to fight.

When you get pulled over by the cops, they have the guns, and the right to use them. You're rights aren't an issue until you're actually in court. Even then, you need a good lawyer to argue those rights. It's best to just not land in those situations.

In the moment, cops can do whatever they want to, I don't care what your rights are. Right or wrong isn't decided until you appear in front of a judge.

Just my opinion, but it's kept me safe...

Fadeux said:
Great advice, but it takes a lot of time and money to fight.

When you get pulled over by the cops, they have the guns, and the right to use them. You're rights aren't an issue until you're actually in court. Even then, you need a good lawyer to argue those rights. It's best to just not land in those situations.

In the moment, cops can do whatever they want to, I don't care what your rights are. Right or wrong isn't decided until you appear in front of a judge.

Just my opinion, but it's kept me safe...

Thanks!

What on God's green earth kinda grass you been smokin fella? You have rights no matter what!?!?!?! Shoot, almost all leo vehicles now contain cameras with audio hookup for that exact reason. They cant just say, "OMG! It's a hippie!....BANG! BANG! BANG!" Most hippies i know are completely harmless, and if you gave them a gun would find some funky-stupified way to smoke from it.

There was news article about a man from new york who was shot like 72 times by two officers. When the autopsy came out, it reported that the man had bullet holes through the soles of his feet. It also stated the based on the number of wounds, the officers would have had to reloaded their weapons 2.25 each.

Thats called over-use of deadly force, and they got their butts 0wned in court! This just goes to show they cant just do what they want because they feel like it or got this "funny feeling". They got procedure, hello its governmental, theres always some damn procedure. Shoot, voting is a damn procedure, lol, its ok tho, i enjoy it! Im not knocking their job, its a job, someone has to do it! Just dont go lookin for ways to become a burr in the horses rear-quarter.

They have boundaries too....so do we, we stay in ours and have the legal know to defend it, and they stay in theirs and leave it alone. In other words, just dont give them a reason in the first place to even look in your direction!

You have rights as a human, and in many cases based upon their countries concern is as well. Some countries care more than in others, mine they care a lot!

Nova said:
Thanks!

There was news article about a man from new york who was shot like 72 times by two officers. When the autopsy came out, it reported that the man had bullet holes through the soles of his feet. It also stated the based on the number of wounds, the officers would have had to reloaded their weapons 2.25 each.

What kind of stuff have I been smoking?

Go ahead and ask THAT GUY about "his rights." Of course he had rights, 72 bullets doesn't change that for him. You just proved my point for me. Your rights DON'T MEAN ANYTHING. Its great to know them, but they're an illusion. Don't even put yourself in a position where you have to "invoke your rights" I've seen it before. I grew up in a small town. A cop has an idea that someone is growing pot. Sees a fern in the window, puts in the police report that it "looked like marijuana" then breaks the door down and finds the real thing in the other room. ITS **, I KNOW, I am not disagreeing. BUT IT DOESNT MATTER. It has to go to a judge. The judge can say "He was right" all you can do is take it to trial, then the jury has to wave the ** flag. If you have the money to get that to a jury trial, more power to you. I'm just saying your rights are a safeguard, not a guarentee.

So go ahead, blather on about them all you want. Let's see how much they really help you when you actually need them. Google Japanese-Americans 1942. See how much their "rights" helped them...

lol cops...LOL my whole thing is when your pulling this stuff off make sure you know what your doing!! IF your growing through out the year make sure your aware of your enviroment!! That your not gonna get caught for any dumb!!(cut your lawn be a friendly neighbor) reason!! Smaller the house the smaller the grow keep it stealth so know one can see you!!! DO NOT LET ANYONE KNOW your doing a illegal substance CLEAN UP AFTER YOURSELF
and your OK ;)

HydroManiac said:
lol cops...LOL my whole thing is when your pulling this stuff off make sure you know what your doing!! IF your growing through out the year make sure your aware of your enviroment!! That your not gonna get caught for any dumb!!(cut your lawn be a friendly neighbor) reason!! Smaller the house the smaller the grow keep it stealth so know one can see you!!! DO NOT LET ANYONE KNOW your doing a illegal substance CLEAN UP AFTER YOURSELF
and your OK ;)
Exactly, like they say in "Goodfellas" You only get clipped if you want to.

Rule #1 DO NOT TELL ANYONE ANYTHING, NOT YOUR DOG, NOT YOUR GIRLFRIEND, NOT MUHAMMED.

Rule #2 SEE RULE NUMBER ONE, IF ANY THERE IS ANY DESIRE TO BREAK RULE #1 GET OUT NOW.

Rule #3 DON'T BE STUPID. Everyone wants pot, you have lots of it. Your friends want to find pot, the police want to find pot. You still have lots of it. Research, find out what gets you caught and avoid it. 99% of busts are simply loose lips. 1% is sheer stupidity.

Rule #4 If you are confused by rule #3, SEE RULE #1

Rule #5 If you ever have to resort to "Your Rights" YOU'VE DONE SOMETHING WRONG. REFER TO RULES 1-4

Rehab is for Quitters said:
This paranoia thing must be contagious. Now Hippy's got it... ;)

Paranoia is a virus. It takes very very little to get infected, and it can explode without warning. The only thing you can fight it with is reason, provided you know when you are lying to yourself.

Fadeux said:
So go ahead, blather on about them all you want. Let's see how much they really help you when you actually need them. Google Japanese-Americans 1942. See how much their "rights" helped them...

First off, its not 1942, its 2008. People's rights have come along way since, especially in enforcing them.

I take me rights seriously, and its my duty to make sure they are respected and enforced. If they arent enforced or respected then i can blame no one for it except myself! Simple as that, you gotta fight for what ya want!

LEO is there to uphold the law, and your rights are written in as part of that law, therefore they have to uphold your rights, its the law! If they fail to uphold your rights, ask for a supervisor, its your right to do so! Every officer i have ever come across hates paper work, and when a supervisor is called or an incident happesn, it involves paperwork.

Also, if you file a complaint against an officer, no matter how petty, it becomes part of their permanent file and cannot be expunged by any agency.

Nova said:
First off, its not 1942, its 2008. People's rights have come along way since, especially in enforcing them.

I take me rights seriously, and its my duty to make sure they are respected and enforced. If they arent enforced or respected then i can blame no one for it except myself! Simple as that, you gotta fight for what ya want!

LEO is there to uphold the law, and your rights are written in as part of that law, therefore they have to uphold your rights, its the law! If they fail to uphold your rights, ask for a supervisor, its your right to do so! Every officer i have ever come across hates paper work, and when a supervisor is called or an incident happesn, it involves paperwork.

Also, if you file a complaint against an officer, no matter how petty, it becomes part of their permanent file and cannot be expunged by any agency.

You're 100% right. It's easy to fight for your rights when you aren't doing something illegal. If you have a grow op in your closet, I'd say its a lot better to just never talk to leo, as opposed to them coming in and you saying which rooms they can't go in. Sure, you're right, but in practice, I think my way would be safer. Thats all im saying.

Fadeux said:
You're 100% right. It's easy to fight for your rights when you aren't doing something illegal. If you have a grow op in your closet, I'd say its a lot better to just never talk to leo, as opposed to them coming in and you saying which rooms they can't go in. Sure, you're right, but in practice, I think my way would be safer. Thats all im saying.

You and Nova are both right. Of course it's best to avoid leo like the plague, but it's also important to know your rights so you can assert them just in case.

No sane dope grower is going to foolishly invite leo into their house to look around . But if there are circumstances beyond your control ...such as the situation where the cops enter without a warrant for some bizarre reason... you sure as sheep better know your rights.

What I've learned from this thread is that even if you live alone and never have visitors, you should always put your paraphenalia away and never leave dope lying about. Because IF, by some random circumstance, leo ends up in your house ANYTHING in plain view will give them probable cause to arrest you and get a search warrant.

Thanks Nova for all the info...VERY USEFUL!!!

Nova said:

Awesome advice! And anyone growing in a jurisdiction where it isn't legal (yet) should both be careful AND know your rights.

I agree with Nova. However the police are well trained in saying these three magic words: "I smell marijuana," and there is your warrant for entry, naked or not.
Being paranoid about odor is probably a good thing ~ I find I get desensitized to the dank and people be smelling the dank on me when I'm not really aware of it. And I'm finding I don't smell much plant odor these days, but I know it's got to be there, I've got 6 females and something like 20 clones.

Latest posts

Back