Parents allowed their son to grow cannabis in house

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FruityBud

Reaction score
A Biggin Hill mum and dad could face jail after admitting they allowed cannabis to be grown in their house.

The 49 plants were discovered growing in Robert and Sheila Cook's home in Beech Road when police searched it after their son Robert was arrested on drug charges in Forest Gate.

Prosecuting, Nicholas Mesure said when Mr Cook, 54, opened the door to police, officers were hit by a strong smell of cannabis.

When they searched the house, officers found plants and lighting equipment in a room next to the kitchen and a small ante-room.

Mr Mesure said: "The officer explained the smell was overpowering and Mr Cook replied, 'Yes, I know, things aren't good at the moment'.

"He then spoke to Mrs Cook and said 'I take it you know about the plants downstairs' and she nodded and said yes."

The pair, who work together as property developers, were taken to the police station where Mr Cook said his son had been growing the plants and he (Mr Cook) had not known they were there until some time after they first arrived in the house.

However, he admitted he had not asked his son to remove the plants after finding them.

Mr Mesure said Mrs Cook, 50, had been tearful during the police interview and had said she would not have had the cannabis plants in the house given the choice but she was not under pressure to keep them there.

Defending, Hamish Young described the case of "one of omission rather than commission" after the couple had been presented with a fait accompli in the form of the plants already being grown in the house and then did not get rid of them.

He said: "'If you've got to be involved in drugs', as Mr Cook said, 'far rather it's homegrown than dealing with dealers on the street'."

Mr Young said the couple had unblemished records and Mrs Cook was on anti-depressants as a result of the case. He said: "I assume because of the discussions there will be at home there will be nothing even remotely similar happening again."

Mr and Mrs Cook both pleaded guilty at Bromley Magistrates Court on Tuesday to allowing a premises to be used in the production of cannabis.

The case was adjourned for a pre- sentence report and the couple were told a sentence of up to six months in jail could be an option.

The pair were released on bail on the condition they attend meetings to prepare the report. They will appear for sentencing on June 19.

Their son Robert, 22, of Beech Road, will appear at Bromley Magistrates Court on July 7 when his case will be committed to the crown court.

He has been charged with possession with intent to supply cannabis, production of cannabis and possession of cannabis. He was released on unconditional bail.

hxxp://shuurl.com/G5019

That sucks. I guess the biggest thing is they had a few to many plants and didnt keep the smell down. BUTTTTT,,it goes back to the same ole thing. LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS,,,,everytime.!!!:rolleyes:

Was it a medical grow,was it state reg.?Could they take ya to jail if it is and your in the plant limit?

What kind of worthless scumbag puts his parents in jepordy. This "kid" needs to be thrown out to make it (or not) on his own. That being said, if they alowed it, they have no room to whine. I do however like the part of the article that says the father found out after they were there. Unless he gave permission beforehand he could not have known untill "after" they arrived. With a kid this self-absorbed they should have figured he was gonna' get caught, probably sooner than later.

Another one bites the dust dangit. Smell or no smell why cant they just leave us and our families alone! They should be arresting all the gold digging idiots that we have all been seeing on the news lately, THOSE are the real criminals in our society!

FruityBud said:
Mr Young said the couple had unblemished records and Mrs Cook was on anti-depressants as a result of the case.
i know something else she could take :smoke1:
:D

whatever happened to lying to the police? say the son went in there, that it was where he smoked too. "that's where we thought the smell was coming from, officer." that's at least what i expect my wife to say if i'm busted.

I guess the parents could have said " Is that what that smell is? Why no officer how would we know what marijuana smells like? We're law abiding parents". We thought that was some kind of insence bushes.

I agree with cubby.

But the parents were talking about kids going to drug dealers.
Well. Their kid was the dealer.
Idiots.
Few plants is one thing, Id kinda feel bad for them then. But 49? Ridiculous.

cubby said:
What kind of worthless scumbag puts his parents in jepordy. This "kid" needs to be thrown out to make it (or not) on his own. That being said, if they alowed it, they have no room to whine. I do however like the part of the article that says the father found out after they were there. Unless he gave permission beforehand he could not have known untill "after" they arrived. With a kid this self-absorbed they should have figured he was gonna' get caught, probably sooner than later.

I'll drink to that cubby.

cubby said:
I guess the parents could have said " Is that what that smell is? Why no officer how would we know what marijuana smells like? We're law abiding parents". We thought that was some kind of insence bushes.

What they should have said is absolutely nothing, when things were clear it was heading south quickly they should have said, I think you need to speak with out lawyers.

Latest posts

Back