Ph tester: Milwaukee or Hanna?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Droopy Dog

Reaction score
Looking to get a decent Ph tester and these 2 names keep popping up and I was hoping for some feedback.

Right now, looking for Ph only, not a combo meter. Don't want the bottom of the line, or the other extreme either.

I can afford something in the $50-$75 range, but would like accuracy to be +-.1 rather than the +-.2 that most of the cheapo units offer.

Would like to hear from people who actually own and use the units they are talking about, likes and dislikes. I can read spec sheets and advertising copy as well as anyone, so I'm not real interested to hear speculation on what someone might think, or have read somewhere.:ignore:

Just the facts of what you know and experienced.:aok:

The EC meter will come later, perhaps. We have a very expensive ($750), combo meter at work and I've noticed that whatever I'm shooting for, Ph or EC, when one is right, usually the other is as well. Of course, this might not hold as true for hydro as it does for fountain solutions for a printing press.:rolleyes:

Right now, I'm leaning more towards the Milwaukee units, but nothing is set in stone.

Thanks for all the input!

DD

I'm not sure if you are going to find a meter in your accuracy range for less than 100 bucks. My replacement probes cost more than a hundred bucks, never mind the meter, the whole unit runs around 250 bucks but it also does EC and is meant to be used as a 24/7 monitor. Its a nutridip trimeter and I would highly recommend them to anyone. My meter also has a temp probe built into the EC meter and adjusts the EC according to the temp of the water so as to provide more accurate readings. I have also only had to recalibrate twice in 18 months so its pretty good on that front as well.

As a general rule with meters you do tend to get what you pay for. If you can afford a good one now I would suggest waiting and making do with litmus paper until you can afford a good meter. Its an investment that if looked after properly will last your for years to come. Spend the money now and you will have a quality meter for life.

I've used both and prefer the hanna....had problems with my milwakee staying calibrated.

I just got the Hanna couple days ago.It worked good so far.Can't get the number on it right now, but I liked the way it worked.

Gb

Budders Keeper said:
I've used both and prefer the hanna....had problems with my milwakee staying calibrated.

What models of each?

I ask because from what I've read, I've heard more of the opposite, that the Hannas have more problems.

But, using is knowing and I suspect that a lot of what I read was internet speculation at best.

You, having used both, can offer much more insight than "I heard from a friend of a friends third cousin ...", type of reply.

Were they both in the same price range, capabilities, and so on?

Thanks.

DD

Tater said:
As a general rule with meters you do tend to get what you pay for. If you can afford a good one now I would suggest waiting and making do with litmus paper until you can afford a good meter. Its an investment that if looked after properly will last your for years to come. Spend the money now and you will have a quality meter for life.

I totally agree and understand. Like I said, the meter we use at work is a $750 unit and it's great. Been using it for close to 20 years. Not the same one, but the same model. I can get one of the old ones, but it's still ~$350 to get rebuilt. Simply can't afford that either.:eek: It's in the 'hospital'.:D Worth too much to toss, too expensive to get rebuilt, but if it sits in a cabinet long enough, it might get better.:D :D :D

I am using the test strips now (from a printing supply, high quality), but I want something a bit more accurate. I take solution to work to check the strips against the Myron L and they are at least close enough to sorta keep me out of trouble.

DD

Droopy Dog said:
What models of each?

I ask because from what I've read, I've heard more of the opposite, that the Hannas have more problems.

But, using is knowing and I suspect that a lot of what I read was internet speculation at best.

You, having used both, can offer much more insight than "I heard from a friend of a friends third cousin ...", type of reply.

Were they both in the same price range, capabilities, and so on?

Thanks.

DD
Sorry man I was baked and just realized your refering to PH...mine are PPM

Droopy: I hear you, and I was in the same boat once upon a time but I am glad I saved my pennies and made due until I could afford a good meter. With that being said I suppose any meter IS better than test strips. I'm sorry I can't offer advice on the hanna or the milwuake. The nutridip meter I have works great and if you can find one in your price range I would highly recommend it. Best of luck, I hope you find what you are looking for.

During my first couple of grows I used the ph test solution. You put your water in a little vial and then add 3 drops of the solution and shake. There is a color chart on the back that tells you the ph. The solution usually comes with ph up and down and is only $15 or $20. It worked out great for me and I was able to save up and buy a quality ph/ppm/temp meter made by blue lab. Just my opinion though.

I hve a Milwaukee...it's +-.2 not .1 but I still love it and it's way better then strips...and for the price (22.50) it makes the deal even better....

Here is the link in case you are interested...hxxp://www.eseasongear.com/ph600.html

xx to tt

Ok I'm looking for parts for a microcontroller project that is totally unrelated to this but ran across this.

http://www.omega.ca/shop/pptsc.asp?ref=CDH5021

pH Tester, Range: 0-14.0 pH, Accuracy ± 0.02 pH @ 25°C, Automatic Temperature Compensations : 0-50°C

$59....Canadian!

.02 accuracy automatic temp compensation, cant ask for much more.

i got the milwakee and havent had any problems yet but it sure does take a while to test the ph

AlbinoDanko12GA said:
i got the milwakee and havent had any problems yet but it sure does take a while to test the ph

How long is that, I'm not sure I'm following you?

Thanks

DD

Hamster Lewis said:
I hve a Milwaukee...it's +-.2 not .1 but I still love it and it's way better then strips...and for the price (22.50) it makes the deal even better....

Here is the link in case you are interested...hxxp://www.eseasongear.com/ph600.html

xx to tt

After a LOT of surfing, that place kept coming up. Got an epray store too.:hubba: Looking like they are the go to guys.

DD

Latest posts

Back