Plant too tall, want to cut it. Can I?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hemp-o Kitty

Meeoowwwruana..meeoowww
Reaction score
Hi everyone! As you can see from the pictures, one of my plants has stretched too tall compared to all the others. This is causing problems because I need to keep the flos very high in order for that tall one not to get burned. Can I shorten it by cutting from the main stem, as shown in the picture instead from the branches? Please HELP!!!!!

3FEB07 002 copy.jpg

Hemp-o Kitty said:
Hi everyone! As you can see from the pictures, one of my plants has stretched too tall compared to all the others. This is causing problems because I need to keep the flos very high in order for that tall one not to get burned. Can I shorten it by cutting from the main stem, as shown in the picture instead from the branches? Please HELP!!!!!
Hey Hemp-o Kitty, you have to stay within the 30% rule for taking plant matter off.

If you take any more than 30% of the plant off at any one time, you'll make yourself a Hermie. I've had some go Hermie at 20%. It's better to plan ahead then try to fix it after it's a problem. I would suggest topping the plant to the second node from the top and no further. Move the plant down away from the light if you can. Then just top normally. You could also do some LST on it to bend it over a little more each day until it is shorter.

Good luck. Let me know how you do.

Hey SB, thanks for your great help, as always :)
I think I might go for LST...I'm not sure if I'll be able to cut part of it and do a good job, so maybe the alternative of training her it could be easier.
Can I do the LST at this point? Is it not too late? I'm afraid of messing up. Once I put a wire or something to bend the top over the left or right, what will I do then? Change the wire on the opposite side everyday?

Hemp-o Kitty said:
Hey SB, thanks for your great help, as always :)
I think I might go for LST...I'm not sure if I'll be able to cut part of it and do a good job, so maybe the alternative of training her it could be easier.
Can I do the LST at this point? Is it not too late? I'm afraid of messing up. Once I put a wire or something to bend the top over the left or right, what will I do then? Change the wire on the opposite side everyday?

With LST, Hemp-o Kitty, you'll be GENTLY pulling the tall plant over a little each day and tying it so that it stays put at it's new level. I use a square piece of rock with a string tied to it. Each day, pull the plant over JUST A LITTLE BIT more, and re-tie it to stay there. Pipe cleaner wires are handy for this.

The plant will start growing back towards the light. It will start to look like a sideways "S". The plant will be much shorter after a week of doing this.

Stoney Bud said:
With LST, Hemp-o Kitty, you'll be GENTLY pulling the tall plant over a little each day and tying it so that it stays put at it's new level. I use a square piece of rock with a string tied to it. Each day, pull the plant over JUST A LITTLE BIT more, and re-tie it to stay there. Pipe cleaner wires are handy for this.

The plant will start growing back towards the light. It will start to look like a sideways "S". The plant will be much shorter after a week of doing this.

Never thought of that rock trick. Damn good idea, and a far sight better than drilling holes in my pots.

Hemp-o Kitty, I had the same prob. with one of my girls. I topped her, then a couple days later I started LST. There's 6 cola's on it as big as the one on the plants I didn't top.

the last time I snipped off the stem, I got huge blunt sized leaves. Let your male grow aobut 18" tall (stem has to be at least 3/8" thick) and cut it leaving two sun leaves. and watch those leaves get really really huge.

She has no male plants. They've all pre-flowered to females. I think she's going to try LST instead of cutting enough off the plant to risk a Hermie.

She's raising weed for smoke, not breeding. She wants no male plants.

THCskunk said:
the last time I snipped off the stem, I got huge blunt sized leaves. Let your male grow aobut 18" tall (stem has to be at least 3/8" thick) and cut it leaving two sun leaves. and watch those leaves get really really huge.

Latest posts

Back