PLEASE HELP growers i need you!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asbuddboy

Reaction score
i'm having some major slow plant groth and need as much help as i can get??? everyone chuck in their 10 cents!!!

how far should a 600w hps under a shade be from my plants??? is 6 foot too far??

and whats a good medium for them,??? ive heard some people sayin cocoa peet and other sayin total perlite, what is best?

anyone use dutchmaster?? how often and is it any good??

Hey asbuddboy, a 600W should be between 18" and 24" from the plants, 6 foot is much too far.

A good soil is one that drains well and is aerated. I usually mix 1 third perlite to 2 parts organic soil, with a sprinkling of lime added. You can use 100% perlite and coca but I have no experience with this. I like soil.

I havn't personally used dutchmaster myself although I've heard good reports.
I'm a Biobizz organic man myself.

a 600 watt light under baby plants, 6 ft is good to start. seedlings dont need much light to begin with. 18-24 inches even to tender weeklings is to much. after the plants are hardened to the big light then u can lower the lighte lil by lil. IMEO

seedlings dont need much light to begin with. 18-24 inches even to tender weeklings is to much.

This is how I've always grown. I've never had a problem. There is no such thing as too much light, only excess heat. I thought the whole idea was to get the lights as close as you can without burning the plants. Otherwise you are causing your plants to stretch unneccessarily.

runby , when plants have crinkled growth and are growing slow, thats to much intensity. some growers think its because of ph when the growth starts looking mutated. thats why plants leaves develop hard ridges and roll up or turn over becasue theere getting to many lumens. when theres to much heat and no humidity the leaves just dry out and turn crispy. if you want to throw a 600watt hps on seedlings at 18 inches...fine. but i guarentee youll stunt the plants if not kill them. the plants will grow slow until they harden off to the intensity. once they are use to it the plant will "only then" start growing like they should be. this can hinder yeild in the end as time is a factor when growing and attianing a gpw number in the end.

Hey trillions, I'm always up for learning new things. Are there any articles regarding this, or any scientific evidence to back up what you are saying

if you want to throw a 600watt hps on seedlings at 18 inches...fine. but i guarentee youll stunt the plants if not kill them

That guarantee holds no validity, because I have successfully grown many times this way, and will continue to do so.

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21422&highlight=curling+leaves

perfect example...read what he asks, and what he says happens after putting under an hps from flos.....

classic case of to much intensity. hard ridges, crinckled growth....notice the mutated looking growth. its because these plants were not hardened off to the big light.

starting seedlings at 18 inches under a 600 will lead to slow funky looking growth. until they adapt...

You can't be serious trillions. That proves nothing.

Im with trillions here, I run a 400w and have as little as 6 months experience with a 600w for the record. Over a year ago I read this great article on radiant heat and HID lighting. I don't have much to add but I have also been concerned about the blanket 18 - 24 inches we preach. I think these numbers are good in optimal conditions.

I tried this for 5-6 weeks thinking CLOSER is better;

28 degrees through the reflector, 340 CFM HO canfan
75 degrees 1 inch under the reflector with small fan moving air
68 degrees at the base of the plant with box fan moving air in the room

8 inches under the light and the two colas looked like they were burning up. All the upper fan leaves were rolled up like joints and everything was getting crunchy. The good news is the buds were dense as ****, just never wanted to finish. Just an experience, you take it how you wish. I am still pretty new.

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20958&highlight=curling+leaves

read post number 6.... light change to a 600

yes this proves that light intensity will cause stunted funky looking growth if the plants are NOThardened to it. so if you have the light to low these are pics of what to expect throwing tenderlings under big lights. thats all...

if anyone has had growth like these photos , thats to much intensity- when the heat is not an issue and ph is good...thats what it is ;)

Show me information to back this up, from a reputable source and I will give you an apology, and thank you for the education.

if im not a credible grower than im in the wrong place! im just noting some of my expierence. far as i know theres little clinical studies on cannibis even for medi use. and i doubt theres research on how light intensity effects leaf curling and cupping cannibis in a lab with credible scientists...which i dont trust writing i have to see it to believe it anyway....

if you wanna try throwing a clone in under a 600 watt light 18 inches away after having it under flos youll see what the leaves will do.

sorry if i came across mean but im not trying to at all. i just have seen ppl stunt their plants many times and have optimal conditions otherwise...they end up with funky growth and ppl will swear up and down its ph but its usually not.

Well if it works for you trillions, don't change it. I grow 12/12 from seed and as soon as my seeds pop they go straight under HPS. If I had the light at 6 foot my seedlings would stretch too much and fall over within a couple of days. I personally keep my (old) 600W 24 inches above.

18 inches is no problem with these newer cooled hoods.

if you wanna try throwing a clone in under a 600 watt light 18 inches away after having it under flos

Does this only occur after going to HPS from flouro. If so could it be the plant adjusting to the change in spectrum ? I only grow from seed.

yes i like the hps for seedlings im TOTALLY with ya there...i just have mine higher from the beginning then drop it down low like you said when they got hardened off.

LOL that last sentance just sounded wrong! lol

ans also...it could be that your plants were naturally getting use to the light the entire time, the flos are weak compared to an hps...so its deffinately why the plant does that. when it curls up like a tube or turn over thats the plant trying to reduce the amount of light they are getting, then when they get use to it if it doesnt change...they will grow out of it. if youve been getting dense but a lil bit smaller nugs- thats why.

ive noticed when i leave the light close the entire time and stunt the plants growth some...make the growth look wierd and even crinckled with hard ridges near the veins in the leaves they even turn waxy looking at times.it will have less yeild, shorter plants but rock hard nuggs. i would assume it has to do with it producing resins to protect the tender catlyxes where seeds form.

just putting two n two together...theres been no clinical studies from govt scientists. lol

runbyhemp...trillions....hiya guys. your both experienced growers, no doubt, but your both wrong about the other being wrong...your both right. if you strt from seed or have a clone ADJUST to much weaker light then put her under high intensity, she'll bar-b-que. but...if you take a clone from a momma or start a seed under hps, she's already adapted...and as a side note, if you take that clone thats used to hps and put her under the floro's...probly stunt her, if not starve her to death...that would be a kewl experiment.
i've taken babies out from a generic shop light (was all i had at that time) and put her under a 400 watt cfl and burnt the crap out of her.

trillions of atoms said:
^^ thats all i was getting at. thanks for putting it into lamens.
man, right now i'm lucky i can even speak in lamens terms much less type them :hubba:

Latest posts

Back