Please help me select the right size carbon filter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Type_S150

Reaction score
This last grow I had a slight problem with mold. I think one of the (several) contributing factors was due to inadequate exhaust/filtration. My grow room is about 9ftx5ft with about 9ft ceilings. I have a 8" vortex fan exhausting air that is approx. 750cfm or so if i remember correctly. I noticed the charcoal can filters were rated in cfm also. Now when I am looking for a carbon filter to put on the end of it, what cfm filter should i get? The same as the exhaust fan, less, or more? Thanks.

Bigger, matching 8". Hmm, better tell more about it though. I bet it was more than just exhaust, no?

yeah you want to get a filter rated for your fan, thats assuming that you have the right fan for your space (cubic ft) I like a little overkill in this area though. I go with the next size up on what would be recommended for my set-up. Cause I'm scared of mold and mildew!

i agree with LF you should get higher rate for yur fan the higher the better since air would pass slower and get better scrubbing and it will pass freely not damaging your venting too much. i think that your are right as to why your getting mold, your fan is not venting sufficiently. fans get the CFM affected by many factors, ducts and curves affect a lot, also the place where your dumping your air should be open space and even then if it's windy outside then the wind by itself could undermine your cfm. your 8" fan itself should be more than enough, describe the venting system, does it have duct? where does it throw the air? do you have oscilating fans,A/C dehumidifier inside the room?

The single experience I had with mold was due to over-watering. Over-flushing/over-watering at the end of the bloom cycle always bring mold risks for those of us in more southern climes. I don't know your style of growing, but lollipopping can do this as well.

My room's about the size of yours and I run (2) 12" oscillators--one high and one low--constanlty along with my can fan.

I would go with and 8" x 39" phresh or phat filter which is a 950cfm rated filter. U always want a filter that handles more cfm then your fan pushes or the filter is worthless and will not mask smell correctly.Also this mold u speak of what exactly happened PM, Botrytis, root rot ??

Peace
Dioxide

I'm thinking Dioxide here is a friend of Subcool...and is offering up good advice!

Latest posts

Back