Please someone tell me

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fipi

Reaction score
Hi i really need to know how much inches i need to put my 600 watts hps far away or close to my seedlings (5 of them)i have them allready 2 weeks some one say 24 inches to not burn them soem one say 18 close better for them i try and try i really need good answer :) please !!! soemone who really have knowledge THANKS !!!!

You want the light close enough to keep them from stretching but not too close where they will burn. To do this position the light at the point where if you put the back of your hand at canopy level your hand is warm but not hot....

:yeahthat: I keep mine @ about 14-16" from the canopy, they've even got as close as 10" during their stretch, my canopy temps hover at 80f...

You asked about seedlings tho...

When mine are "strong enough", about a week under T-5's and lite fan, then they get str8 1000k. With seedling I start at about 24" than move the light down as I feel the plants want/handle it. This is the area of "growing" that you will learn as you get more grows under your belt, learn your plants....

How long have they been under that light? If they were under weak flourescents before that, get them used to the brighter light before bringing it too close.

Oki this is the deal when i buy all stuffs for growing i just get the 600 watts hps
and all the rest stufs soils, pots, seeds, nutrienns, (digital Ph,>which going to my nervs) :D - ph + ph add not so expensive but rest was cost me so i have only 600 wats and yes i keep the light far away on begining when the seeds sprouting be coz i was scary to not burn them (i think i burn 1) :( so now i keep the light 1 meter far from the babies they are tutankhamon AK-47 collection from piramyd seeds all 5 feminised and 1 fem white widow .

i will try to take this days pictures and post it any way THANKS a Lot for all opinions and advices. more wil be welcome :)

greetingz from Berlin

Welcome to MP Fipi! glad to have you here! I like the sounds of your seeds, I love AK-47, although I have not yet seen it from Pyramid seeds. Hopefully you will share your grow with us in the Grow Journals section!

Qman said:
You asked about seedlings tho...

When mine are "strong enough", about a week under T-5's and lite fan, then they get str8 1000k. With seedling I start at about 24" than move the light down as I feel the plants want/handle it. This is the area of "growing" that you will learn as you get more grows under your belt, learn your plants....
:yeahthat:

This is something that has to be learned and has no hard and fast rules or measurements.

DD

I think you'll be wasting a lot of energy and bulb life by using the 600 watt for your seedlings.

I think it is worth to invest in a small fluorescent set up.

At 2 weeks old, 24" is okay and 18" is okay. As someone else said: you're waaaay over lit for seedlings. But if that's what you've got to work with then go for it.

Is your light ventilated? If so, then you can put the light down on them pretty close after another week or so. I'd drop it an inch or so everyday until I had it about 12" from the tops, then see how they do with that. As they mature, keep dropping the light an inch at the time. If your light sheild is cooled then you can get about 6" to 8" above the tops (or closer if you pay attention--I run about 4" to 5" off canopy but I've got fans everywhere.).

Peace and good luck.

Latest posts

Back