Police Stop, Handcuff Every Adult at Intersection in Search for Bank Robber

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Grower13 said:
It would be bad Roddy......... and millions of us would be on the cops side if they weren't after our weed to make felons of us just like the bank robbers.

True Dat!

AG

The authorities can do it but IF YOU HAVE A GOOD LAWYER, anything found should not stand.

unfortunately you need a lot of good money to pay your good lawyer or they toss you to the wolves
They came into my home and they had no warrant only some old lady up the street who was concerned because she hadn't seen me in a few weeks
Destroyed my life

one of the main points is the drivers gave consent to search, if ya hadd a couple grams and didnt rob a bank it could be a load of sh!t coming your way and at the same time violate your rights, but rights are relative depending on where ya live.

Where I live, Unless everyone denis permision to search, (Which aint gonna happen) All refusel will get you, is seperated from everyone else, and a hard search of your ride. How you speak to the police will go a long way in deciding how they search you and your ride. Act afraid and you and your ride will get a full search, act mad and the same results apply, I have found that if you put the officer on the defensive with the way you speak to him, (Respectfully, but with athority) you will get treated far better, and a much less agressive search will follow. The police have a job to do in that situation, and the game is to keep them focused on what they are there for, and not devert their attention in your direction. JMHO

Menimeth said:
Where I live, Unless everyone denis permision to search, (Which aint gonna happen) All refusel will get you, is seperated from everyone else, and a hard search of your ride. How you speak to the police will go a long way in deciding how they search you and your ride. Act afraid and you and your ride will get a full search, act mad and the same results apply, I have found that if you put the officer on the defensive with the way you speak to him, (Respectfully, but with athority) you will get treated far better, and a much less agressive search will follow. The police have a job to do in that situation, and the game is to keep them focused on what they are there for, and not devert their attention in your direction. JMHO

The key here is do NOT consent to the search. I understand what you are saying Menimeth, but if you have pot in your possession, they are going to find it if they search you and/or your vehicle. If you do not consent to the search, and they do not have probable cause to search you (for instance if they are looking for a bank robber and you are not that robber), a good lawyer WILL get the search thrown out, and anything they find will also be thrown out. Once you say that it's ok if they search your body or vehicle, any and everything illicit they find CAN LEGALLY BE USED AGAINST YOU.

Just don't consent to a search if you have contraband-it can NEVER turn out good.

AG

I've been thinking about this thread and the common misconception about law enforcement has reared it's ugly heat here again.

For the record-I am a law-abiding citizen (except for the marijuana cultivation, of course! :hubba: ), pay my taxes and try to obey most of the laws of the land. I understand what the police force is there for and for the most part, I support them. BUT-don't EVER think they are on your side. They are there to ENFORCE THE LAWS. If they find you with pot-they aren't going to look the other way-they are officers of the law.

For sure don't antagonize law enforcement-when I see people who get stopped and are spouting off about "I know my rights" and "You're just a pig", my first thought is "dude, you're an ****ole-you deserve to go to jail". But refusing to be searched and being an activist are very much different things. Say you don't have any pot on you and they're searching for these bank robbers and ask to search you and your car. You say ok, knowing that you're not breaking the law. In searching, they find a roach or maybe a pinch of pot someone dropped a while ago. Do you think it will matter at that point that they weren't searching for drugs? NO-you gave them permission to search your car!

We have to be aware of what our rights are as citizens of the greatest country in the world, the good ole' USA. Amendment Four of our US Constitution-The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Notice the part that says ..."and the persons or things to be seized." If they are searching for a bank robber and you get stopped with pot, DO NOT consent to a search and any lawyer that is breathing will get the possession charges dismissed.

Sorry to have gotten up on the stump-this is an issue that is very near and dear to me. Personally, I don't think marijuana should be illegal at all. Couple that with the way law enforcement treats simple pot possession and it's enough to make your blood boil.

DISCLAIMER-I have been arrested one time in my life-for possession of pot and paraphernalia. The charges were completely dismissed due to lack of probable cause.

AG

I'm with AG and G13 all the way on this. Make no mistake . . . police are being trained to violate your rights - if they can easily do so. Calmly and politely stand up to them, and they probably won't risk it.

If the cops are asking your permission to search, that means they have no probable cause - and they know they don't . . . cuz if they did have probable cause, they would have no need to ask your permission - they would simply state their probable cause and begin the search.

If you refuse to grant permission and they bring a dog, the dog is searching - and if there was no probable cause for the search, they are in violation of your civil rights under the Fourth Amendment. There is legal precedence and case law to back this up.

Let them know that YOU know the law. Immediately ask what they'd be looking for and what probable cause they have to suspect you. Ask them not to violate your civil rights under the Fourth Amendment by searching without probable cause. Tell them you've discussed this with your lawyer, and you really don't want to have to file a civil rights suit against the department. Reiterate that you have nothing, then ask them to please just let you be on your way.

It's important to use those specific words: "probable cause", "civil rights", "Fourth Amendment", and especially "MY LAWYER" !!

I have done this twice in the past five years, and both times they backed off and let me go. I didn't have anything anyway, but that really doesn't matter. It's the principle of the thing . . . they had no reason to search me, period. Not sure about the bank robber deal . . .

The only way we retain and secure our rights is if we assert them. If we don't assert them, then the cops will gladly violate them - and pretty soon we won't have any !! So be very calm and very polite, but don't be intimidated - because that's exactly what they want.

jm2c :48:

Robbed a bank? Sounds like a hero to me.
Banks have been robbing us since before we were born.
Cops have laws they must follow also, 4th amendment still mean anything?
Cops did ask each person to search the vehicle but I wonder what the response would have been if they had declined.

Amateur Grower,
No one deserves to go to jail for free speech, no matter how obnoxious they can be.

benevolence6gc said:
Amateur Grower,
No one deserves to go to jail for free speech, no matter how obnoxious they can be.

I'm not sure if I was just called obnoxious or not!?

AG

Oh I see your point. I am just of the opinion that you catch more flies with honey but I understand what you are saying.

Amateur Grower said:
Say you don't have any pot on you and they're searching for these bank robbers and ask to search you and your car. You say ok, knowing that you're not breaking the law. In searching, they find a roach or maybe a pinch of pot someone dropped a while ago. Do you think it will matter at that point that they weren't searching for drugs? NO-you gave them permission to search your car!

AG

That doesn't happen around these parts. :rofl: Twice in the last couple years these stories happened.
Two of my buddies were driving and got pulled over. Cop smelled mj just standing next to the car. That friend is the guy hot boxing his ride all the time, and his car always wreaks. Cop asked them if either of them had MMJ, and neither did. Cop told them to spend the money and get MMJ. And to not be so obvious, and have a nice day.
Other time four of us were in the car, got pulled over. Cops asked right out of the gate how much MJ was in the car. Said his K9 went crazy as he was driving next to us :rofl: Told him I had about an eigth on me. He asked to see it, and if I had MMJ. 3 of the 4 of us did. He gave me back my mj, chuckled and sent us on our way. :D

i think, weed is becoming more and more acceptable by non users, and even leo, and if they had found (a few grams) in your car while searching for a dangerous person, they would overlook that, and stick to the more important task at hand...(unless you are driving thru ohio):eek: ;)

Amateur Grower said:
The key here is do NOT consent to the search. I understand what you are saying Menimeth, but if you have pot in your possession, they are going to find it if they search you and/or your vehicle. If you do not consent to the search, and they do not have probable cause to search you (for instance if they are looking for a bank robber and you are not that robber), a good lawyer WILL get the search thrown out, and anything they find will also be thrown out. Once you say that it's ok if they search your body or vehicle, any and everything illicit they find CAN LEGALLY BE USED AGAINST YOU.

Just don't consent to a search if you have contraband-it can NEVER turn out good.

AG

My advice to you is, never come to Texas with that attitude or you may find yourself sitting in TDC without any idea how it happened. You assume that a lawyer can use the law to set you free, but in Texas the law is what the Judge says it is and if you don't believe me, come on down to Texas and find out.

Sorry Menimeth, but I just can't believe that and would think that, if this is true, people would assuredly get rid of the judges statewide for the obvious rights violations that must happen if this is the case.

Except Judges have to step down, you can not vote them out of office. It takes an act of god almost to get rid of a Judge once they are there.

Hey, you live where you wanna live. I lived in San Antonio for a short time 25 years ago. Coulda picked up a 1/4 oz of schwagazz roaches off the sidewalk down there. Hated it. Won't be coming back, ever. Good advice.

Texas judges don't get to decide the Constitution. If they're violating the Fourth Amendment, thats on them - and on the sheep that allow them to get away with it. Rulings are overturned on appeal every day. Like I said, you either stand up for your rights, or you lose them.

Now they're gonna start flying drones over us . . . anybody care ??

Menimeth said:
Except Judges have to step down, you can not vote them out of office. It takes an act of god almost to get rid of a Judge once they are there.

Judges breaking the law can be dealt with, don't think differently.

Roddy said:
Judges breaking the law can be dealt with, don't think differently.

Who is gonna deal with it, the reality is that Judges break the law every day and there is very little you can do about it.

Think of what you're saying....I'll leave it at that. If you truly feel your rights don't count there, then do something about it. And if it's true that judges can't be elected in and out, then that's the fault of the voters.

Judge break/misinterpret laws everyday in the US. If they did not then there would be no use of Appeal courts. It's not the fault of the voters if their forfather who wrote the laws that judges cant be elected in or out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back