Pollination Newbie

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My first plant turned out to be a male. At the time, it was the only plant I had, so I quickly got several more going, as I am growing outdoors. I figured the material from the male must be good for something, so I saved it. Now that I have chosen the strongest plants, I would like to pollinate one of my females. This is what I have done so far:

I took the dried material from the male and crumbled it up well into a near powder. I placed the material in a plastic shopping bag and covered the top of the female plant, the shook the hell out of the bag/plant for a minute or so. Removed the bag and moved to a location away from my other females.

Is this an accepted method of pollinating a female? I did not save any of the pollen sacs separate, rather, they were dried along with the rest of the male and were in the shopping bag I used.

How long will it take before I will see signs of seed production? Is there any additional steps I can take to ensure a good fertilization?

I doubt their was any actual pollen in the dried plant material, and if there was it probably wasn't viable anymore.

Thank you for your responses. As to if I dried an entire plant, yes, sort of. I clipped off all of the leaves and pollen sacs and threw away the stalk and stems. I had it stored in a zip lock bag for maybe 2 or 3 months. I notice that there is a lot of excess plant material that stuck to the trichomes of the female. Hoping this does not inhibit potential pollination.

I probably should have saved the pollen sacs separate from the beginning. Even if that first plant was a male, I grew it from GSC bagseed...a strain I would love to cross with Banger, a lower grade weed that I get from my dispensary, that I happen to love the effects. I will be more informed and more prepared next year.

If you have left the plant matter in the ziplock bag with the pollen I believe there's a chance the moisture from the plant matter could kill the pollen.

This is what I think I've read Ha

You might be right although the preserved plant matter was very dry. We will see. Even if it does not pollinate, at least I will have some bud from the original Banger female plant I can salvage...

Latest posts

Back