Pots vs. Grow Bags

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nova

Reaction score
So, on my last visit to the local hydro, i picked up a plethura of grow bags in an effort to try something new for myself. I was never fully convinced on these grow bags, and have always been a classical pot kind of guy, plastic pots of course.

However, i am fully impressed with these grow bags. Not only do my plants show more horizontal growth, but they have a superior vertical growth rate in the bags as well. I was told the bags i purchased, which were a bit more expensive, have the ability to "sweat". Meaning oxygen and water can diffuse through the bag to aerate the roots and bleed off excess water in the soil. Whether there is a bit of truth to it or not, i dont know, but it works.

On top of my plants growing better, the bags provide easier storage since they can fold flat. They are much cheaper than the pots, most expensive bag i bought was $0.45 and it was a 7gal bag. The grow bags come in a much more wide variety of sizes, from seedling size to 20gal and 50gal bags.
The bags also provide much more ease in transplanting as well, the bag just slides right off, no shaking or tapping of the pot to release the it from the pot. They also have superior draining i think, 2 medium sets of holes on the very bottom of the bag and around the bottom edge.

Either way, i fully advocate the use of growing ANYTHING in grow bags instead of pots! Im a sold consumer, these things rock!

I would love to hear about other experiences with the bags or pots. Why you like one over the other.....the pros and cons of both!

In the pics below, a set of plants in grow bags, and then a pic of some plants in pots. All plants are the same age....

CIMG0612.JPG

CIMG0613.JPG

Have heard a lot of positive feedback on bags, but never oppurtuned to try them.
What about moving them?.. Does it disturb the rootball, affect growth if the need comes up to move them around?

Hick said:
Have heard a lot of positive feedback on bags, but never oppurtuned to try them.
What about moving them?.. Does it disturb the rootball, affect growth if the need comes up to move them around?
Nope. The bags are good and sturdy...won't tear if you lift them(biggest i've went is 3 gall though). The only down side to them is the dirt compacts and you might have to add a lil soil to the edges. The ups are they save space, they keep your roots good and warm, they are very, very easy to transplant from(just slide the bag off of the rootball) and they are dirt cheap. Btw, with the black and white ones you have to add more drain holes, the black ones are fine.

bombbudpuffa said:
Nope. The bags are good and sturdy...won't tear if you lift them(biggest i've went is 3 gall though). The only down side to them is the dirt compacts and you might have to add a lil soil to the edges. The ups are they save space, they keep your roots good and warm, they are very, very easy to transplant from(just slide the bag off of the rootball) and they are dirt cheap. Btw, with the black and white ones you have to add more drain holes, the black ones are fine.
Where does "saves space" come in?. I follow you up to there, but they still appear to be round, space wasteing forms.. Just like pots, only somewhat pliable.

Hick said:
Where does "saves space" come in?. I follow you up to there, but they still appear to be round, space wasteing forms.. Just like pots, only somewhat pliable.

They fold flat, which makes them a hell of a lot easier to store than pots!

I use grow bags too, but this kind, they lay flat on the floor, or bench or anywhere, totally moveable and I only use them for L/R, 20 plants per bag, when they finish the plants are removed with roots and 20 more put in, I find 2 grows per bag is best, after that the soil clumps together and is like low quality soil only fit for digging into your garden boarders as a pickmeup/additive to the garden soil.

tom bag.jpg

I've never used them for mj but have used them for vegetables before with excellent results. I will definitely have to try them sometime in the future. Take care and be safe.

I use the three gallon. I love them, and hick they are square. Once you add your medium and water, it may be necessary to add a little more around the edges. But once settleing has occured then they are completely movable. I move mine all the time during the watering process. These particular ones are very cost effective at $.35 per bag. And like BBP stated they can be used over and over. Ilike... LOL

Latest posts

Back