Preparing for first Indoor Grow: Inexpensive Lighting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rdrose

Growin' with the Stars...
Reaction score
I've been reading/wondering about best types of light for me to use for this first indoor microgrow. I want to keep costs down and use what I have on hand.:confused:

This may not be the best set-up, :rolleyes: but I'm thinking that I can use a couple of 2 bulb shop lights w/reflectors I have in the attic and maybe get some full spectrum and/or grow lights to put into them to supplement the natural light/sunlight that the plants would receive throughout most days in the room I plan to use for this grow. :farm:

Then once they go from Veg to Flowering, I won't have to use the supplemental lights since that will put them at about 12/12 more or less. :watchplant:

So what do you guys think? :hubba:

BTW, I will be growing 1-3 plants (depending on their sex), in soil using Fox Farm OF, with nutrients still to be determined. :cool:

2 shop bulbs?Describe them? You can invest in some cheaps floro's for the veg

Hey Rose,

Looks like you are getting to the fun part of it..... Configuring your space.

What is the size of your space? A micro-grow, so do you have a box or cabinet? What are the dimensions? Your growbox will determine the size of lighting for it. Also as important is the exhaust. It provides the route for heat to escape, and introduces fresh CO2 air for the plants to breathe. That we'll deal with later.......

I'm finding that even for a micro-grow, if you are looking at making the best of your space and production, your results will be improved if you maintain 1 plant per 2.5 to 3 square ft. It doesn't take long for that little seedling to become a big plant. It will grow quickly if your plant is getting recommended lumens, temp and humidity, water, and nutes. Before long, you are going to have a jungle that won't produce any more (if not less) than a properly planned space with a smaller # of plants.

Even for a small grow, I would prefer a low wattage HPS to any type of flo any day. Some would beg to differ for vegging, but there's nothing like HID HPS for flowering. One light that does it all is best all around IMHO........

Just remember that you need 5,000 lumens per sq ft.

Another thing I've learned about low headroom: Multiple small wattage HPS lamps spaced evenly along the top of the box allows the heat to be spread out, and not coming from one monster lamp. The light is evenly spread through the canopy, as well as the heat from the bulbs. A small fan blowing across the ceiling of your box is all it needs to allow your plants to grow within 3 to 3.5 inches from the lamp without burning. (Providing your growbox temp is controlled to a maximum of 80 to 85 degrees.)

Example: My growbox is 5 square ft. I use (4) 70 watt HPS lamps for it. Each lamp provides 6,300 lumens. A little math here: 6,300 x 4 = 25,200 total lumens. Divide that by 5 square ft, and I have 5,040 lumen per square ft. Right on target.

Note: It is just slightly less efficient elect $ wise to have numerous small wattage HID, but it is the best choice for my box, because of the heat / headroom and even distribution of light issue. Also, these lights can be bought at local home centers so they're as easily available as flouros.

PB:)

Hey there PB,
Yes, I am getting to that point...and it is a good feeling to actually know enough about what I want to do to be able to ask some questions. :D

But, before I begin answering your questions...I want to say I think I had the wrong definition of a 'microgrow'. I thought that 'microgrow' meant a 'small inside grow' :D Didn't stop to think it meant something in a contained small unit...:eek: See...still learning...:)

Anyway, my plan is to grow my ladies in a room that is very well lit w/strong sunlight (approx 5 hours per day) and natural light for an additional 5 hours per day. The room size is 12' x 13'. There is a ceiling fan in the room as well as a 6 ft sliding glass door for ventilation/light. Which is why I wondered if the shop lights (4ft, 2 bulb capacity) might work with just simple grow lights.

And I agree with you re: having one light do it all, but with the light in the room, do you think it will be necessary for me to have the HPS lights?

Hey there Rd, hows it goin?? well cheap lights you can go for the flurs Like the T5's or shop lights. but with the size of the area if you planing on useing the whole space you might need a 1000w but im no pro at lighting im still learning myself but i would think you need alot for the whole area. however if you plan on jus singleinging out a corner to grow in you might wanna got with the shop light then/ 4foot T5s, or a 400w light. when i move ill be useing flurs for veg and hps for flower. i recently ordered a light from here www.htgsupply.com and they have really good and decent prices for there lights, and by far the cheapest. Good luck on ya search for lights, i know it can get real tiresome doing all that look. oh yea you can always go with CFL's.

Thanks BFK, for the website...lots of interesting stuff on there!! :D It really helped me to visualize and get more clear about each kind of light!! :)
I know you had posted it once before in another thread, but I didn't think I needed it then...;) but now that I'm hooked on this new hobby...well...you know...:rolleyes:

From PB
if you are looking at making the best of your space and production, your results will be improved if you maintain 1 plant per 2.5 to 3 square ft.

PB, would you recommend that I keep the plants in a smaller area of the room maybe with reflective mylar around it? Or allow then to grow as they will with some trimming as needed on the lower branches, (maybe take a few clones ;) ) in the natural light and the supplementation of whatever lights I decide to incorporate?

Ahhhhh...the creative juices are flowing now!!! :hubba:

Thank you all for the input!! :D

Hey RDRose

The 5,000 lumens per square foot rule is where I would start. Then define your space to fit your electrical $ budget and consumption needs.

If headroom height is not a problem, like 8 ft, in a small area, one lamp is sufficient and more efficient. A square room or space is better than a rectangular one with one light in the center.

You can try to go cheap with what lighting you have, but your final product will not equal the same amount of effort and time put into it, IMHO..........You will end up only improving to what has been proven over and over.

I would still recommend a simple plug n play HPS lamp. Plan on 2.5 to 3 square ft for plant in your space.
So if you want 4 plants: 4 x 2.5 = 10 square ft.

10 sq ft x 5,000 lumens per square ft = 50,000 lumens required.

I found that a 400 watt HPS lamp has 50,000 lumens right here:http://www.1000bulbs.com/400-Watt-HPS/34142/

I would get with some others here who know of a great place to get a plug n play 400 watt HPS light set-up online....They're not that much......

As far as a room, I would try to contain the light as much as possible within the space, as it messes with your lumens per sq ft rule. Mylar or flat white paint the walls.

Good luck.....................

I know you waz asking pb, and i think you would be better off useing a smaller area, but keep in mind the plant size, width and the type of light u decide to get. mylar is good from what i herd, however i use black/white poly and im likeing it. how bout u box of a corner, that poly is good at blocking out light orrrrrrrrr, you can go with a grow tent, there are some on the link i gave you, they even have some that comes with lights nutes and soil for like,...... well i waz jus takeing a look at it and it high as hell $500. jus look under "compleate grow kits" at the link

Pot Belly said:
Hey RDRose

The 5,000 lumens per square foot rule is where I would start. Then define your space to fit your electrical $ budget and consumption needs.

If headroom height is not a problem, like 8 ft, in a small area, one lamp is sufficient and more efficient. A square room or space is better than a rectangular one with one light in the center.

You can try to go cheap with what lighting you have, but your final product will not equal the same amount of effort and time put into it, IMHO..........You will end up only improving to what has been proven over and over.

I would still recommend a simple plug n play HPS lamp. Plan on 2.5 to 3 square ft for plant in your space.
So if you want 4 plants: 4 x 2.5 = 10 square ft.

10 sq ft x 5,000 lumens per square ft = 50,000 lumens required.

I found that a 400 watt HPS lamp has 50,000 lumens right here:http://www.1000bulbs.com/400-Watt-HPS/34142/

I would get with some others here who know of a great place to get a plug n play 400 watt HPS light set-up online....They're not that much......

As far as a room, I would try to contain the light as much as possible within the space, as it messes with your lumens per sq ft rule. Mylar or flat white paint the walls.

Good luck.....................

There you are PB lol, i kinda told her the same except for the lumens part, good to see we on the same page. do you think it will be to her advantage to single out a corner and plan the lumens she needs around that??

BluntFullOfKush said:
There you are PB lol, i kinda told her the same except for the lumens part, good to see we on the same page. do you think it will be to her advantage to single out a corner and plan the lumens she needs around that??

If she has free reign of her house without prying eyes......A closet or corner of room would be great. She'll have to figure how she can do it herself with adequate results since I cannot offer my physical assistance.... Light leakeage in the space would be an important factor.

Any light that leaks out is wasted if it's not hitting a leaf or little bud......Any light that leaks in during "night" will severely alter budding outcome.......

But always plan around the lumens rule for your canopy, and footprint rule for your floor, and it will give you what you want - good yummy buds.

Looks like these fine lads are taking care of you quite nicely Rose. I didn't realize you were going to be growing so soon! Good for you and I will chime in when I have some specific advice for you. ;)

wanted to make a quick suggestion for lighting... for me... I was using 4 3ft fluoro tubes for veg, then went to 2 compact fluoro floods (Fluorex) lamps to save space....

Flower mode - 400W HPS lamp, purchased from this ebay seller.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180163963591

$150 (shipped), comes with reflector, ballast, bulb, etc. Very fast shipping, and super professional. I know someone else who has one of these as well for use in an attic and it's producing great results for approx. 6 plants within a relatively close proximity.

Thank you PB, BFK, Caribbean Smoker, lowryder, md, and DL for your helpful input.

***MY 1O LITTLE BEANS ARRIVED TODAY!!!***: :yay:

More on that in another thread!! :cool:

PB, I do have free reign of the house, several neighbors, but trees and acres in between and no one goes upstairs but us, and I can close and lock the bedroom door, too. With the 6-foot slider in the room as well as a ceiling fan, ventilation shouldn't be an issue ...right?

I do have an option of growing in the attic, but if I do, then my plants will not have the benefit if several hours of full sun in the mornings with additional natural light during the remainder of the day...and I can't help but think that would be good for them , correct me if I'm wrong.

And I now understand the importance of 'light leakage' (ty, PB!), but I doubt that would be an issue either, unless starlight or occassional moonlight is a concern???? :confused: However, I can see how a large room with no partition for the growing area would be a waste of the lumens!! ;)

I checked out the website you sent, PB, with the 400w HPS bulb. The bulbs are very reasonably priced and I know this is an elementary question, but what type of fixture does that work with? With the mogul base, can I screw it into a regular light socket? Ot do I need a fixture like the one listed on E Bay that md sent...?

BBK and md, I've also checked each of the websites you sent it looks as if the grow light listed on E bay is from the same company as the website you sent me BBK...and seems like a good price,too. :)

I'll get this all figured out!! Thanks again, guys!!

hey rose whats up Hun glad to see that you are getting ready for an indoor grow you know my butt will be in here watching this:hubba: glad to hear that your seeds made it to you safely and i cant wait for the other post what do you have for strains ya ya I'm nosey lol well good luck Hun and did u decide what you are gonna use for light?

Hi Rose,
If you are planning a grow area with windows you will be letting out alot of light that will be very easly spoted. Unles you plan on moving them each day.

Most grows ive seen that try to get by in the window dont do so well. a small room and that 400 hps sytem will do great.
And you need what is called the ballast to work that light, you cant screw it into a reg socket. most setups come with every thing you need Ballast, bulb, reflector, socket, just plug it in.

Hey Rdrose!

Yay for the beans!

That link I gave you is a lumens reference i use to all the popular HID bulb sizes. I wouldn't recommend buying separate components for your situation. Get one of those that md recommended. Can't beat it for a reliable 400 watt set-up......

Growing in the attic would not be a good idea due to temperature extremes.

As far as trying to benefit from light from a window for a few hours each day, they won't get as much as they need if the sun isn't bearing down on them for a good portion of the day. If you were to suppliment your HPS light with sunlight from the window, wouldn't the light be obvious from outside the window?

I would look for a closet, or similar space and let the light from the lamp be the source for growing 100%.

Ventilation - Your space will need ventilation/cooling to maintain a maximum temp of 85 degrees F. That is more detail for later.......

Well...I've decided to go with the 400W HPS system from E-bay!! The more reading I did and all of your informative posts helped me to make that decision. :D

I'll keep you posted as the plans continue to take shape. :hubba:

Pot Belly said:
But always plan around the lumens rule for your canopy, and footprint rule for your floor, and it will give you what you want - good yummy buds.

We won't be putting the house up for sale until February, so I have time to do my indoor grow. Speed Queen is 55 days of flower so I think it will work.

Here is the what I'm planning: I decided on a grow location: A 3' X 3' X 5'H coat closet, upstairs that has access to a large attic space. In the pic, the brown piece of wood panel in the middle covers an approx 12" x 16" access hole to the attic where I can vent cool air in and hot air out

The closet is already white inside, I just need to paint the inside of the door and add some sort of weather strip to keep light inside. Also something dark on the floor, that should be easy...;) , and switch out the door handle to a locking one...just in case I need a little extra time before the harvest:hubba:

PB, with 9 sq' of growing space, 3 plants @ 3 sq' would require 45,000 lumens? So, if I understand the math...:eek: the 400w HPS should still work.

Ventilation/cooling next?

ATT00016.jpg

400w should be fine for that space,my current temps in 7sq w/ 400w are 68-72 but the summer goes at 90-93

Latest posts

Back