preppin the hole in the woods

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edward

Reaction score
is there any thing i can do besides just droppin the 8 inch plant in the hole my spot is 2 miles in so i cant cary alot im gonna do sets of 5 plants i take them up in 20oz cups and just plant them and return to water is there more i can do to make them grow better the ground is nice up here in so east alaska do i need nutes or anything what would i mix in the dirt to improve soil conditions

You will need to dig a hole 5 times the width and depth of the plant your planting out, this will need to be filled with quality soil :)

if your soil is rich in nutrient you should be fine with diging a small (size of the pot or cup you have them in now) hole and just put your plant in the hole. My myself hate carrying bags of dirt threw the woods!! its really not nessesary as long and the dirt of the location is good dirt and not compact. I always find places with great qualty dirt a nice blackish color is what your looking for. Next to a stream, river, pond the dirt is usually pretty exceptable. I always till up the soil with a shovel just start diging but not making holes use the shovel as kind of an airator (sp) to losen up the soil.

^^^

I would love to use the golden claw or garden claw or whatever, but I gotta make the load light as possible... Try prepping the holes before you plant. Take the rocks out, loosen the soil after you dig the hole, maybe even start composting if you do it early enough.

GuerillaGrower420 said:
^^^

I would love to use the golden claw or garden claw or whatever, but I gotta make the load light as possible... Try prepping the holes before you plant. Take the rocks out, loosen the soil after you dig the hole, maybe even start composting if you do it early enough.

you mean those things with the like 4 skikes that you stick into the ground then turn to break up the soil??? ive always wanted to try one of them out

Yeah thats exactly what I mean... I was thinking about cutting one down to prefered size, then welding it back together but idk

I never seem to find good dirt whenever I grow outdoors. I usually end up digging a huge hole and filling it in with Pro Mix. Pain in the butt. good luck

:D Pro-Mix HP is the best soil I have ever used. Love it.

yup its hard to find good places with soil that is rich in nutrents but their out their ive been growin for a while only using the minimal amount of unnatural soil

GuerillaGrower420 said:
Yeah thats exactly what I mean... I was thinking about cutting one down to prefered size, then welding it back together but idk
sounds like a good idea to me lol make it bout knee high

Here in Lima I can plant outdoors almost all year round if I'm lucky. Depending on where you are transplanting. I always took my time shifting thru the dirt with a 'hand' hoe. Think of it like farming;)

.."I" would never consider planting OD, in "natural/native" soil, without adding horticultural lime as a ph buffer and mg supplement. Your results will usually reflect exactly what you put into them, time AND effort wise...;)

i like to take all the dirt out of the hole,replace with different levels of soil and castins,lime,etc.

don't waste your money on a garden claw. if the ground isn't already loss then you'll never get it in the ground. well thats how it is around here in georgia red clay.

dig out your hole to a depth of two feet deep and three feet wide and fill it with top soil from under trees, etc. Carry in granular slow release ferts and sprinkle some in each hole, back fill and wa la, one hole complete.

Latest posts

Back