Propagation box.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheDrowner

Reaction score
Been away for a while, sorry guys. Have had nearly 3 months with lawyer and banks on my tail. :(

Any way here goes:

Built this box yesterday afternoon.

L= 60cm. W=30cm. H=30cm. Total area (Square Centimeters)= 52 200cm2.

I am going to paint the inside of the box with a Matt white paint, as I cant find mylar around here nor do I want to use aluminum foil. Can you suggest a reflective material other than mylar, Aluminum foil or Matt White paint?

For lighting I am going to use 1x28w Cool white CFL (TOP LIGHT). 2x20w Cool White CFL'S (SIDE LIGHTS).Total=68w. Approx Lumen's= 4350
Is this going to be enough for propagation phase of the plants life?
What would the lumen output be on this lighting setup?

Ventilation, is going to be a computer fan in the top right hand corner of the box. I may add another computer fan for the stem strength. Will that be sufficient ventilation?

I will add a door to the box, making it light proof. A power board to the side of the box, to connect the lights (so they come on at the same time) and fan(s).

Will this box be any good for a few plants in vegetation?

P.S. I will add a sheet of MDF to the bottom of the box (so no screws go into the plant). Box now turned on side, with wheels on bottom. :D

Box.jpg

i would put a fan on top center for exhaust of hot air out and 1 mid level intake vertically to give the plants some wind and intake for the box. and if your box is going to be sideways lentgh then i would add maybe 1 or 2 more lights (suggest using daylight cfls for some red spectrum also.

Ok, will add a few more lights to it.

Should I use Matt white paint as the reflective material on the walls of the box or something else?

Are WARM LIGHT CFL'S better for vegetation growth or are COOL DAYLIGHT better???

Is this going to be good for the plants (this setup) ???

i havent really seen anything out there better than some type of mylar. if you cant get it u have plenty of places online that you can buy for cheap. i would paint it matte white for the time being till u get some mylar.

2- i asked same question and i was told the soft whites give more of a , HUMMMMMMMM mind fuse just shorted!!!:( i have to look it up whioch spectrum is it, but yes i wwas told soft whites are good for VEG, i added 2 natural daylights to my setup so i can have a mix..

only thing is u dont have much height room for the to grow once they get going, and if youre setup works good, that can be pretty quick..

find some space blankets also known as emergency blankets. They're also made of mylar and will reflect from 90-95% of the light back. Cheap but affective alternative to buying the mylar they sell for a lot more in hydro shops. I would see about adding some more lights too. And just make sure you have an intake fan to bring in fresh air somewhere by the bottom/mid range. Your exhaust fan will be fine where it is up int he corner. Good luck, nice little box too.

use the cool daylight for veg and the warm white for flowering

Bingo!! with these blankets. with shipping it came out to less than $5 for me, not bad!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lightweight-Eme...QQihZ013QQcategoryZ106996QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

BSki8950 are you sure, i asked this on another thread and i was told the opposite. Not saying that youre wrong, just asking how you know?. i was told Soft Whites (almost beige light) were good for Veging because of stronger Blue spectrum and Natural Daylights for Flowering due to stronger red spectrum.

emergency-survival-blanket-eb1310.jpg

Thanks for all the advice. :D

Change of plan my friends, sorry.

I thought through everything and realized that box would be no good for any kind of growth, so I looked around my house and found a wardrobe. It has two draw at the bottom of the it that would be perfect for vegetation growth. I covered the inside with cheap aluminum foil,don't think I did a bad job either.
Still have to position the lights, get the fans and wire it all. Be done soon (No real rush for me, moving house so.......)

The new draw/box: L= 47cm. D=47cm. H=32cm

Pics to come.

P.S. What is the best soil for raising seedlings, I have some seed raising mix that I could use. Would that be any good?

ya u can get those solar blankets out of any first aid kit u have laying around thats what i use now by the way i like ur box good luck with the grow peace

Ok have finally got pics for you people, Im not going to do any more work on this wardrobe because were moving house in 3-4 weeks and I don't see the point in setting it all up and then having to take it all down. (Sold the house for $940,00 by the way.)

Note: I am only going to grow one plant.

I am going to put lights in all 4 corners of the box, going to use four 23w Cool Daylight CFL'S. Watts=92w. Approx Lumen's= 5800. (Is that going to be enough?) Then transfer the plant to a HPS lamp when we move. and I get a room setup.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________
______________________________________________________________________________________________________

I include a picture of the largest area in that wardrobe.And one of the wardrobe when its all closed. Got any suggestions?
e.g. lighting, reflective material, etc.....

P.S. Thanks for the comments on the box, I only threw that together in 20mins, could have done a much better job.

Wardrobe.jpg

Wardrobe1.jpg

Wardrobe2.jpg

Wardrobe3.jpg

Latest posts

Back