Public Service Announcement- Cigarettes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

SmokinMom

My dad has been a heavy smoker most of his life. He's had prostate cancer, several herniated disks, no bladder and wears a bag, and is on kidney dialysis 3 times a week. I don't know if these conditions are related to the smoking, but I had to mention it. Back yrs ago he nearly died from a pickeled liver when he was a practicing alchoholic. Lucky he quit drinking after that, and hasn't taken a drink in 12 yrs.

Last Wednesday my dad couldn't breathe. We went to the emergency room and he ended up being admitted. He has pneumonia. They ran more tests and determined he also has emphysema and COPD and will now have to be on oxygen the rest of his life. It makes me sad. :( One more thing taken away from my dad.

Guys, please quit smoking cigarettes. I don't have to tell you how dangerous they are over time, you already know all that stuff. Just do yourself a favor for you and your loved ones. Quit smoking.

(On a side note, I had a 2 pack a day habbit that I quit when pregnant with my 1st born. I haven't looked back.)

SM, I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. I know it's a difficult situation, but people will do what they will for the most part, no matter what others say...congratulations to you for quitting your habit!! Your babies are healthier for it!!

My parents smoked heavy when I was a kid, there was always a 'haze' of cigarette smoke in the house.

I swore I'd never smoke cigarettes, although I tried it once...Yuk!!

...never considered MJ, until I met my hubby...he corrupted me! :D (thanks honey :hubba: )

Sorry about your father SM. Thats terrible. I don't think qutting smoking cigarettes if you still puff bud will help though. Still breathing smoke.

im sorry to hear that mom,, i lost my father to alcohol when i was 11,, it runs in the fam,, alcoholeisym is a desiese and its good for your dad he quit or it could of lead to even worse problems althogh that is already pretty bad, my freind dad just died a couple years ago from smoking,, wasnt lung cancer but emphysema and heart desiese,, i have smoked heavily for 10 years (a pack a day) i when and seen a doctor for a perscription to quit smoking,, the doctor said that my lungs are good bud he doesent suggest i keep smoking, infact he put me on the patch,, it supprized my freinds i quit, cuz i smoked like a pig on a spit, it has now 5 months and this week out at camp my buddy was down from alberta and i had a few cigerettes with some drinks ,, not good i forgot how much i enjoyed it and im having a smoke right now,time to go back to the doctor tuesday and explane to him how much of an idiot i am and get back on the patch.,, anyway once again sorry about your dad,, good luck and best wishes to him

bombbudpuffa said:
Sorry about your father SM. Thats terrible. I don't think qutting smoking cigarettes if you still puff bud will help though. Still breathing smoke.

Yea well, I guess if you smoke both cigs and weed then it's double trouble. Pick one and drop the other. LOL.

Thanks guys. I am just a daddys girl and I hate seeing him deteriorate before my eyes. :(

I'm not sure I would agree with you on that BBP, :) I recall reading somewhere that a few hits of bud per day isn't nearly as damaging as smoking cigarettes...especially 2 packs a day. :eek: Not only inhaling as you smoke them but the continuous second hand smoke that you breathe as it burns in the ashtray has got to be worse than a few tokes...IMHO.

walter said:
he put me on the patch,, it supprized my freinds i quit, cuz i smoked like a pig on a spit, it has now 5 months and this week out at camp my buddy was down from alberta and i had a few cigerettes with some drinks ,, not good i forgot how much i enjoyed it and im having a smoke right now,time to go back to the doctor tuesday and explane to him how much of an idiot i am and get back on the patch.,,

Good for you Walter that you quit for 5 months, :aok: and especially good that you're goin' back to the Dr. to get back on the patch!!

We'll be waiting for a 'smoke-free' report once you get that patch back on and working!! :D

In addition bbp, there are tons of added carcinogens in cigarettes. Rat poison which is the most known one.

its unbelievable how well the patch worked ,, i had no faith i9n it until i tried it ,, it is a very high recomandation in my books ,, if you havent tried it and you smoke,, try it and youll be very supprized

DLtoker said:
In addition bbp, there are tons of added carcinogens in cigarettes. Rat poison which is the most known one.
smoking is very bad for you,, im sorry but i must dissagree with the rat poison part,, they are not going to put that in ciggarettes although yes their are already terrible chemicals, your thinking of cocain or some other drug, i beleive this is just a myth you've herd of ,, unless you can further explain it,, thanks for you input thoe and i am not trying to argue with you,, but i would like to see proof of this.

My regards to your Father SmokinMom that sound like it can be pretty hard on some one to watch that happening. I think it is good how ever that you can talk about it openly and get it off your chest instead of building up emotion. This is one of the hardiest addictions to break in the world and the most widely used, It is not as easy for alot of people to just stop, or even try things such as gum, patches or pills. I totally agree with you in that people should stop smoking cigarettes.

Smoking weed vs cigarettes? Do you all know all of the different chemicals they put in to cigarettes?

There are more than 4,000 ingredients in a cigarette other than tobacco. Common additives include yeast, wine, caffeine, beeswax and chocolate. Here are some other ingredients:
Ammonia: Household cleaner
Angelica root extract: Known to cause cancer in animals
Arsenic: Used in rat poisons
Benzene: Used in making dyes, synthetic rubber
Butane: Gas; used in lighter fluid
Carbon monoxide: Poisonous gas
Cadmium: Used in batteries
Cyanide: Deadly poison
DDT: A banned insecticide
Ethyl Furoate: Causes liver damage in animals
Lead: Poisonous in high doses
Formaldehiyde: Used to preserve dead specimens
Methoprene: Insecticide
Megastigmatrienone: Chemical naturally found in grapefruit juice
Maltitol: Sweetener for diabetics
Napthalene: Ingredient in mothballs
Methyl isocyanate: Its accidental release killed 2000 people in Bhopal, India in 1984
Polonium: Cancer-causing radioactive element

I guerantee that non of the above you will find in MJ

DLtoker said:
sorry dltoker but Methoprene is in cigarettes and it is a pestiside also used in Anticoagulant rodenticides <<<<witch is a rat poison sorry for doubting you i looked it up and you are correct

i feel for you sm, my dad also a life time smoker....COPD, lives on oxygen, very sad, he has only just quit after a cancer scare and lighting the carpet and almost himself on fire while on the oxygen. Ciggaretts are addicting so much more than reefer, i think. good luck to both You and Your Dad.

Hi Mom,
Very sorry to hear about your Dad. Your right about giving up the dreaded cancer sticks, I have been smoking on and off since I was 15. Thats half my life and cancer runs in my family, my Mother died of breast cancer when I was 17:eek:
I would love to give up the fags but the closest I got was 1 week:eek:
But thanks to Marijuana I only smoke about 10 a day compared to the 30 I was smoking before hand.
I really hope to give up some day because I have seen past family members die a VERY SLOW DEATH from cancer so today I have decided that the only tobacco I will be smoking will be inside a joint.
Again Mom I really hope your Dad will be ok;)

Yep.. Unfortunately bud when burnt produces carcanagens (spellcheck) lol.. these cannot be avoided, only cut down by quitting your cigs.

Only problem is damn, cigs make you look so cool lol

Again, that sucks what's happeneing to your father..how is he recovering?

Sorry to here bout your father Mom, Hope he get well soon.

I smoke cigs, and i hate that i do, I really wanna quit, and i mean really. when i get paid ima go out and get the patch and kick the habit.When i get sick ill stop smoking cigs, but when i get back to 100% i start right back smoking, Walter said the patch work so ima try it(what kind did you get?) Wish me luck

Latest posts

Back